Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need to change the oil, but cannot... (Read 228 times)
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Need to change the oil, but cannot...
05/21/12 at 08:43:41

Need to change the oil but cannot "break" the plug. I've tried several tools and went out and bought some new ones to be able to reach the plug and still no luck. It is stuck like chuck. I'm trying to get her up and running again and she's been garaged for 5 years or so and I'm sure really the oil needs to be changed before fireing her up. Any suggestions? I believe it is a design flaw in the placement of the oil drain plug. Hard to reach and no room to get any leverage to turn or use tools...

OF replies:     Make sure you are turning counter-clockwise, the normally threaded drain bolt is in an odd place and it is easy to get confused on the turn direction.

« Last Edit: 05/21/12 at 10:59:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Need to change the oil, but cannot...
Reply #1 - 05/21/12 at 08:50:18

The bolt is a little tough - but not impossible.  Get the correct sized combination wrench....the longer the wrench the better and a 6 point box is even better.  Have someone help you - or block the bike so it does not roll off the kickstand.  With the wrench on the bolt and hanging down - pull toward the front of the bike as hard as you can.  If pure muscle doesn't get it - then use a soft blow hammer to persuade things.

If that fails - you could use one of the cheap $ 8.00 hand pumps that use a tube to suck the oil out of the crankcase from the fill hole.  This will get your oil changed until you can get the bike to a mechanic that can remove the stubborn drain plug.  The oil drain plug does not need to be "Gorilla" tight - it just needs to be snugged up with a good sealant washer to prevent leaks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 05/21/12 at 09:00:27

Try hitting it with some PB Blaser. Good lubricant and rust breaker... Or, maybe try heating up the bolt a bit?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #3 - 05/21/12 at 09:01:53

Hey Dave...thanks for the quick response. So from what I'm hearing is the drain plug is a reverse thread? By pulling toward the front of the bike would be turning the plug to the right...correct? If that's the case...that is probably why it wouldn't budge for me...lol.  Cheesy I was treating it as if it were a common threading, applying the rule "righty tighty, lefty loosy". Wow, I must be an idiot... Grin

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 05/21/12 at 09:02:23

Dave wrote on 05/21/12 at 08:50:18:
The bolt is a little tough - but not impossible.  Get the correct sized combination wrench....the longer the wrench the better and a 6 point box is even better.  Have someone help you - or block the bike so it does not roll off the kickstand.  With the wrench on the bolt and hanging down - pull toward the front of the bike as hard as you can.  If pure muscle doesn't get it - then use a soft blow hammer to persuade things.

If that fails - you could use one of the cheap $ 8.00 hand pumps that use a tube to suck the oil out of the crankcase from the fill hole.  This will get your oil changed until you can get the bike to a mechanic that can remove the stubborn drain plug.  The oil drain plug does not need to be "Gorilla" tight - it just needs to be snugged up with a good sealant washer to prevent leaks.  

Stop! Pull to the BACK of the bike to loosen if the wrench is hanging down.
Sorry TS, I didn't want him to strip the bolt.
Also, hitting the wrench with a hammer is not a good idea, as you can strip the head easier. I use a pipe or lever of some type, and increase the force slowly. 6 point box end wrenches are hard to find but definitely the way to go. Just be sure to soak it with penetrating oil over night first.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/21/12 at 09:06:57

Its standard thread counterclockwise is taking it off use a box wench and tap lightly with a hammer after you sprayed something like WD 40 on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #6 - 05/21/12 at 09:13:35

Thanks for your responses. I'll try again to drain the oil using the info you have given me. If I can't get it off, will it totally ruin the engine if I finish with the other repairs and start her up and drive her to the local mechanic?...or should I call in for a house call...? Thanks again for all your help! Smiley

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/21/12 at 09:14:50

Good god how many times have you changed your oil ?
Not left handed thread
Take combo wrench place on plug as far forward and up as possible
Take a hammer and smack it down
I prefer to interlock another combo wrench for addition leverage and push down.
But either will work.

If it truely is stuck, and you need to change it now, and fix it later...
You can drain thru the timing port on the left.  Messy, but can be done.
remove port, lay it down, return to upright to let any residual oil to drain down and repeat.

WWW   IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #8 - 05/21/12 at 09:32:06

Hey Verslagen...when she was running, the oil was changed at recommended intervals by my local suzuki shop. Right now, tho, I'm not in a position to take/tow her there and pay to have the oil changed. So I'm having to try to do it myself.

I'll try again and add the hammer. Thanks.  Embarrassed

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/21/12 at 09:43:50

Dunno if a good idea in this situation BUT.. if you can get the bike high enough, and have an impact wrench, that might work.

If you can do that, have as much of the wrench ABOVE the bolt as you can, or you will have a very oily, messy, nasty impact wrench if it spins all the way out!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/21/12 at 10:35:23

TS wrote on 05/21/12 at 09:01:53:
Hey Dave...thanks for the quick response. So from what I'm hearing is the drain plug is a reverse thread? By pulling toward the front of the bike would be turning the plug to the right...correct? If that's the case...that is probably why it wouldn't budge for me...lol.  Cheesy I was treating it as if it were a common threading, applying the rule "righty tighty, lefty loosy". Wow, I must be an idiot... Grin

No.....it is a normal thread.  I was sitting here in my office trying to think which way the bolt faced in the engine (left/right...in/out).....and I got it wrong.  Sorry.  I have only owned my bike 3 weeks, put about 100 miles in it.....and only changed the oil once.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/21/12 at 12:40:54

Wrench on plug with wrench pointing out toward front tire, drive down on wrench. Easier done from right side than kickstand side.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 05/21/12 at 14:12:36

If the hex in in decent shape, there ain't a plug this side of heaven that I ain't knocking loose w/ a box wrench and a smack w/ a hammer. I myself use a lead filled rubber hammer.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 05/21/12 at 18:17:49

TS wrote on 05/21/12 at 08:43:41:
I believe it is a design flaw in the placement of the oil drain plug. Hard to reach and no room to get any leverage to turn or use tools...

Don't feel too bad.   About half the bikes I've owned place the drain plug conveniently above or right next to the exhaust pipe???   That way you're guaranteed to spew oil all over your hot exhaust.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/21/12 at 21:57:57

First time, it was a hassle,, after that, its so easy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need to change the oil, but cannot...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.