Send Topic Print
Larger crash bar? (Read 311 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Larger crash bar?
05/20/12 at 07:49:04

Hey guys...so my S40 has the small crash bar, which essentially enough to protect the engine if the bike is dropped.  The Chinese Rebel knock-off I just sold had a much larger crash bar, large enough to protect the foot pegs and controls.  

Where would I find the best price on a larger crash bar that will just bolt on to my S40 in place of the smaller crash bar?  (And should I be searching for "crash bar", "highway bar", or what?)

OR...would just mounting some highway pegs to the existing crash bar help serve the same purpose?  (I realize not as well, but would they help?)

TIA!
Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Larger crash bar?
Reply #1 - 05/20/12 at 08:00:12

If pure function is all you care about, couldnt you mount a brace across the existing unit & put one of those "slide down the road" hockey pucks on either end?
Problee suck if it hit a pot hole, huhh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 05/20/12 at 08:05:09

I'm not opposed to mounting something additional to the existing crash bar...it does need to actually look good though.  Wink

Searching ebay, there doesn't seem to be any crash bars for the S40 or savage that are larger than what I already have.

Dave

IP Logged
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/20/12 at 08:58:06

Your question is one for me. My 20 year old daughter has purchased a new S40 with the addition of the Suzuki windshield & case guard bars. These had to be ordered so we did not see them on the bike. I am also disapointed with the width of the bars. My daughter is scheduled for the basic riders course in 2 weeks. She has never used a clutch. So when she begins to ride she may have a few 0 - 2 mph drops and I don't like the exposed shift pedal/linkage and shock to the internal shift components. And to a lesser extent the rear brake stuff. Your question along with some responces give me my game plan. I have a new 3' piece of 3/4" black pipe. I will cut it to the proper length and dirll 4 holes to use 2 "U" bolt clamps to mount it across the upper crash bars. And I will drill and tap 2 actual hockey pucks to thread on to the pipe ends. Maybe temporary or permanent. I should ask about removing the standard bar ends and replacing with longer bar ends. I am looking for protection during her "break in" riding in parking lots mostly learnng the clutch and one upshift & downshift on her bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/20/12 at 09:03:31

IDK how youre set for $$$, but now mite be a good time to buy a used little dirt bike you can sell after she has it down, AND, as an added bonus, it has been demonstrated that people with dirt bike experience suffer fewer crashes, because theyve felt a bike slide & they know, instinctively, how to shift their bodies to correct.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #5 - 05/20/12 at 09:20:28

There is nothing else. I plan to go to the bone yard and find somthing close and have a shop weld mounts and crome or black paint the new peices. I have already broken the right rear turn signal working in the garage.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/20/12 at 09:41:56

I used to build balsa & paper planes. The .35 Enya would drag them along at a bit over 60 MPH in a 60' radius circle. I dont think I ever built one I didnt damage significantly in the process,, one, I dropped a glass of water that went right thru a wing,,I feel your pain,, Epoxy is your friend,.never buy a Duro brand adhesive, Devcon 5 minute is the best Ive found, You can put the turn sig back together. & since its for a new rider, I sure would,,You can get new stuff after all the "Dangitt, I dropped it" is over.

I call what youve done "Hangar Damage".. it hurts, I know.
Sorry,,

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/20/12 at 10:57:56

Wingerline makes larger crash bars for the S40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 05/20/12 at 11:52:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/20/12 at 09:41:56:
I used to build balsa & paper planes. The .35 Enya would drag them along at a bit over 60 MPH in a 60' radius circle. I dont think I ever built one I didnt damage significantly in the process,, one, I dropped a glass of water that went right thru a wing,,I feel your pain,, Epoxy is your friend,.never buy a Duro brand adhesive, Devcon 5 minute is the best Ive found, You can put the turn sig back together. & since its for a new rider, I sure would,,You can get new stuff after all the "Dangitt, I dropped it" is over.

I call what youve done "Hangar Damage".. it hurts, I know.
Sorry,,

Wow. Control line model planes. I did that from age 11 till age 32 or so. Still have enough stuff in boxes (and one plane) that I could do it in a couple of days. Flew everything from lil .020 combat to .40 Nobler with throttle control. (Man that puppy pulled on your arm!) Did some scale stuff too- a Mosquito with 2 .049's and a Fokker tri wing. And the Enya .35 is an amazing engine- I still have mine. Fooled around with boats for a bit too.
You can't fly gas planes up here on public property anymore- liability issues.
BTW I found epoxy to be too heavy for initial construction. It was handy in the field though.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/20/12 at 12:42:31

I lusted for a Nobler,, dang I wanted one of those,, just outta my price range as a 19 & 20 Y/O Air Force & married man, I found the Buster with its low profile wing to be fast & its ample elevator to be very quick in a turn. I also cut a section outta the rear fuselage & mounted a 1 ounce fishing weight, so when I said TURN, I could make it lay over fast enough it would go backwards a foot or so,, then, one day, that weight Flew OUT,, It handled a lot more tamely after that, till I got another one in it, Ive got my favorite tank, a Veco t-23C & handle & engine hanging in the shop.. I never liked the delivery from the Perfect tanks w/o pressure.

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #10 - 05/20/12 at 18:04:30

bill67 wrote on 05/20/12 at 10:57:56:
Wingerline makes larger crash bars for the S40.

I think the Wingerline os over $300.00

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 05/20/12 at 18:06:54

I think its $260, myself I don't like the looks of it,It tilts forward a lot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 05/20/12 at 18:28:08

Hmmm...this one?

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store...

Doesn't look anything like the one already on my S40...does it mount the same way?

Dave

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 05/21/12 at 01:45:37

thats it,It must mound about the same way

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 05/21/12 at 06:56:40

Wingerlines are the only thing that is pre-fabbed that'll solve the situation for you... Unless you want to fabricate something yourself, they are the best bet.

I waited MONTHS for them to come in stock and quickly grabbed a set when they came in. Then my vision of the bike changed and I took them off and sold them.

They mount pretty much the same, except they also bolt up to the brake/shifter assembly somewhere (it's been awhile since I had them on the bike)...

They are nice. They worked great as highway bars too, my short legs worked fine without the need of pegs on the side of them.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Larger crash bar?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.