arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Larger crash bar?
Reply #15 - 05/21/12 at 07:17:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/20/12 at 12:42:31:
I lusted for a Nobler,, dang I wanted one of those,, just outta my price range as a 19 & 20 Y/O Air Force & married man, I found the Buster with its low profile wing to be fast & its ample elevator to be very quick in a turn. I also cut a section outta the rear fuselage & mounted a 1 ounce fishing weight, so when I said TURN, I could make it lay over fast enough it would go backwards a foot or so,, then, one day, that weight Flew OUT,, It handled a lot more tamely after that, till I got another one in it, Ive got my favorite tank, a Veco t-23C & handle & engine hanging in the shop.. I never liked the delivery from the Perfect tanks w/o pressure.

I had a Buster too. It was the best profile (of 6 that I owned). I always used pressure, and modified the Perfect tanks for it. I could do a lamshivac (sp) with the throttle control on the Nobler. The Nobler died a sad death when I lost elevator on it due to a push rod support failing inside the fuselage where I couldn't see it. It crashed into the ground at full speed. Dug a 24 " trench about 2" deep and there wasn't a piece left longer than 10" except for the flaps, which I still have. I was sure I had bent the crank of the Fox 40 schneurl, but it was ok. I used to make my own fuel out of methanol, nitro and Klotz (Bills ears just perked up Grin)
This thread is bringing back a lot of nice memories.
You can still buy a Nobler, you know.

To get back on topic, I looked into the Wingerline, but it won't work with forward controls.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/21/12 at 12:51:11

The Nobler died a sad death when I lost elevator on it due to a push rod support failing inside the fuselage where I couldn't see it.

I lost my last Buster 31 years ago. In West Texas, flying over hard dry dirt. I liked doing a wingover & pullin in on the lines to crank the speed & pull out level,,the bellcrank came out, it went strait in so fast the wings didnt break forward on the tips, they sheared off the fuselage. The engine survived & my strap tank mount held,I had about 3 gallons of fuel thru the engine on that plane,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 05/21/12 at 13:28:22

You should have had a crash bar on your Buster

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 05/21/12 at 22:42:27

Thanks for the pic, Simon...yeah, I kinda see what you guys mean...that crash is functional, but it is kinda...well....butt ugly.  Tongue

Hmmm...maybe I just need to fabricate my own.  I can bend pipe and tubing...I suppose I could use aluminum tubing (which might look OK unfinished, assuming I can bend it without it cracking, depends on the alloy), or steel tubing and have it chrome plated.  

Still wondering if maybe just some really stiff highway pegs added to the existing crash bar might serve the same purpose and look a lot better though.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/22/12 at 01:49:19

No need to bend pipe, cut the existing bar & add straight pieces, send to be chromed/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Larger crash bar?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.