Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not sure if it's the petcock or a venting problem? (Read 225 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Not sure if it's the petcock or a venting prob
Reply #15 - 05/22/12 at 20:49:31

Now that Splash07 has given Routy his much feared gas-oil filled sump, can we now recommend installing a Raptor as a pre-emptive performance/safety strike?  

Based on removing all sorts of confusing mixed "trouble" signals and also on preserving one's tender parts from a bad case of gas rash?

Heaven forbid adding a road spark from a tossed rock or a backfire  (and we know the Savage NEVER backfires, right?)

Now this bike looks more like a gas-oil overfilled sump exploding out the rubber huff tube from internal crank churn pressure, or else the gas-oil mix got too hot and hit a gas vapor flash point and boiled up making a big big pressure spike that blew the oil cooler line open .....  and being a modern bike it very likely had a stock vac petcock on it with a vac tube and all.   Notice it didn't blow the engine because it kept on running while it burned.  Luckily the rider wasn't on board at the time or he'd have been seated front row center at a real weenie roast.    Note in the later shots how the rubber huff tube/oil cooler hose is still dribbling fire .....   (hey, dorks like this really shouldn't be allowed to own a motorcycle)

And remember, don't knock the bike over whatever the bleep you do or the main mass of oil-gas will spill out and make the fire much much worse.

« Last Edit: 05/22/12 at 22:11:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bojangals43
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsville, Indiana
Reply #16 - 05/23/12 at 04:46:38

Definitly!  Just because I can be a little OCD, I'm gonna order the "raptor" by the end of this week so I can at least feel better about diagnosing.  Though I'm begining to think my bike just doesn't have enough vacuum at the petcock in general because today (while in "reserve" overnight) she started up just fine Huh..... talk about a fickle lady.  I'm more tired of me telling my wife "I know what the problem is...", then just to be made a fool of by the bike Embarrassed.  

"Help me, help you" is what I keep telling her every morning when I start her up Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 05/23/12 at 07:10:13

I have to agree with the sentiment that the vacuum petcock is a poor execution of a noble idea.  I personally think the likelihood of dumping fuel into your crankcase is greater with the vacuum petcock because it can occur straight through the vacuum line while the engine is running, as well as when it's shut off.  I have the Raptor installed and usually remember to turn it off.  Even when I forget, my float valve usually keeps me from having any mess.  The one time fuel got past both, it came out of my carb's vent tubes and did not flow to the engine.  I should point out that I use an Amal Mk2 carb instead of the stock Mikuni and that I loop the vent tubes up and then point them back down (I bought longer tubing) instead of tucking them into the frame.  In short, I got a small puddle of fuel that alerted me to my sticking float and that I'd forgotten to shut off my petcock.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bojangals43
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsville, Indiana
Reply #18 - 06/04/12 at 10:51:13

Well I figured I give you all an update...

I replaced my stock petcock with the "raptor" and it has preformed flawlessly so far.  Thank you to all who responded and gave me advice, it is much appreciated Smiley. I have even filled the bike up to the tank's neck and she starts/idles just fine Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:15:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not sure if it's the petcock or a venting problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.