Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone else though about this?... (Read 183 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Has anyone else though about this?...
05/17/12 at 23:14:23

Let's say, you're riding in a group,... and someone takes a tumble...
... and here, especially,... in southern Arizona,... but also in many places...
In the heat of summer,... no one would want to lay on scorching hot asphalt, with injuries, waiting for help,...
But, you are not supposed to move an injured person... and where would you put them anyway?...

Is there some material that could be carried, that would insulate an injured rider from the hot ground, that would not require a trunk to tote?...
Do space blankets insulate against heat, as well as cold?...

I can't imagine the pain of laying on that hot summer pavement, broken,... waiting for aid...

Any ideas?.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Has anyone else though about this?...
Reply #1 - 05/17/12 at 23:56:03

space blankets will reflect heat, but it'll help some, till it melted.
but it won't insulate, for that you need an air gap.

talk to your local paramedics, see if they have any tips.

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/12 at 05:57:11

Whiskey and a .45
Realistically a space blanket, perhaps a poncho (could be dual use), small tarp, how about one of those 6" when folded but unfolds like a baton umbrella?

--Steve

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 05/18/12 at 06:59:52

They would have to move you to get whatever you used under you- not a good idea. A quart of water poured aroun you so it runs under you would do the trick for a while.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 05/18/12 at 07:16:16

ultra collapsible survival blanket, they are usually pretty good at insulating and they fold up real small. Another idea is news paper. You can carry a good bit of newspaper in a saddlebag and it insulates great, why do you think so many homeless use it as a blanket.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 05/18/12 at 07:45:23

Something to create some shade would help too, most any of the things already suggested could at least be held up to block the sun directly off the person, even if you were unable to get it under them.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/18/12 at 08:12:37

I have seen asphalt on the apron of a race track get to 138 degrees
Source(s):
Race engineer using an infrared gun at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2008

3 years ago

Gonna need more than a quart..IDK at what temperature damage is done, BUt I think 120 would have to be injurious after a while,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/18/12 at 12:48:06

I'm betting a space blanket used to provide shade (assuming you don't want to move the victim) would at least help somewhat... possibly in tandem with some water.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #8 - 05/18/12 at 13:29:23

As a first aid attendant I've gotta say DON'T MOVE THEM! Even to get something under them! You're talking about some light burns on whatever skin is exposed. This is in comparison to life in a wheel chair because your well meaning buddy tried to make you more comfortable.

Water, even a little bit of it, cools things dramatically. Pour that around them and create shade for them. If you have someone with you who is capable of proper emergency techniques, you can wet the blacktop then put a blanket of some type down before they are repositioned onto it. Most people who have not been trained to do these rolls will do far more damage to their wounded patient trying to perform them than the hot tarmac ever will.

</rant>

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/18/12 at 14:51:06

If he's concious, he'll move himself.
If not, what he don't know won't hurt him.

So include this in your tool kit, space blanket, collapsable tent poles, 5 gallons of water.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 05/18/12 at 15:45:18

greenmonster wrote on 05/18/12 at 13:29:23:
As a first aid attendant I've gotta say DON'T MOVE THEM! Even to get something under them! You're talking about some light burns on whatever skin is exposed. This is in comparison to life in a wheel chair because your well meaning buddy tried to make you more comfortable.

Water, even a little bit of it, cools things dramatically. Pour that around them and create shade for them. If you have someone with you who is capable of proper emergency techniques, you can wet the blacktop then put a blanket of some type down before they are repositioned onto it. Most people who have not been trained to do these rolls will do far more damage to their wounded patient trying to perform them than the hot tarmac ever will.

</rant>

+1

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 05/18/12 at 16:56:47

A hip flask filled with good whiskey will help them forget...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 05/18/12 at 17:18:01

I may be wrong...
I just did a test,... it's around 100' today, and the pavement in front of my house is hot, but, tolerable...
When I can remember,... I'm going to find some black tarmac and see how hot that is... try the water test, too...

106' Monday... be a lovely day for a lay on black tarmac... Wink...
Sacrifice for science...  Huh...

I'm thinking I'll add a space blanket to my kit for shade,... and, I always do carry water...

Thanks for the brainstorming and advice, guys... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #13 - 05/18/12 at 18:31:25

Wearing good gear will keep your skin away from the pavement.  Also when I had my accident and was stuck laying there with my leg in the ant hill getting eaten I never felt any of it not sure if it was just adrenaline or if your brain is smart enough to not worry about that little stuff and ignores those pain signals.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone else though about this?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.