Hot cases (Read 102 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Hot cases
05/17/12 at 09:41:40

First, hi everyone.   Picked up a nice 2009 S40 last saturday and am enjoying riding and reading all the combined knowledge presented here at suzukisavage.com.   Riding the bike back home i noticed my left boot heel melting when held next to the case near the rotor access port.   When I got home I ran in and got my IR heat gun and measured the case and cylinder temps.   The gun has an averaging mode where you wave the LED dot around the area you want to average.   The temps I recorded were as follows:

Left case:  ~200F
Right case:  ~160F
Cyl:  240F .. 250F (all 4 sides)
Cyl head:  ~260F (L & R sides)

I would think that the 200F measured at the left case wouldn't warrant melting my boot, but maybe by virtue of the fact of my boot touching, prevented air cooling at that exact spot and created a hot spot?   The bike has 7k miles and the oil looks good, and I think regular oil is good to about 450F, so I should be well within any concerns.   In any case (ummm, no pun intended) I will be changing oil as soon as I get a filter.

Back in the 70's I had a BSA Goldstar 500cc thump with kick start.   I'm finding the S40 is not nearly as violent - LOL.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Hot cases
Reply #1 - 05/17/12 at 10:40:05

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/16/12 at 04:53:12:

Verslagen collected data all summer long one hot summer a year or so ago, pausing on the interstate once and checking as soon as he got home again as part of an oil study between two oils.

Head never got over 250o, sump ran about 195 max o if my memory is correct.   (memory correction is desired, please)

source thread is:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283117891/0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 05/17/12 at 11:57:00

Hmmm, before posting I searched for articles that looked for hot cases, etc., but didn't find much.   I'm sure there are substantial variances in measuring methods and devices.   The way to really do it would be to place thermocouples at several locations and connect to a data logger while you ride.   However, that involves a lot of work with gadgets I don't have, and exceeds my interest level.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/12 at 12:41:56

Quality and level of oil is a factor. Lean mix is another. Outside temp as well, of course... I'd say you're fine, having in mind the air cooled engine. Mine eats my right shoes! Guess i step on the exhaust too often.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 05/17/12 at 13:47:37

Cheap boots? Grin
Seriously the polish on the boots doesn't need much heat to melt it. All it is is bees wax, Vaseline, and pigment. And the heels are made out of plastic, unless you can find (and afford) real leather.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 05/17/12 at 13:53:56

I measured the temps on the exhaust pipes and other engine parts with a laser thermometer recently (after I burned my leg on the exhaust by accidentally touching it after I have parked).  The cylinder was around 260, the head around 250, the case around 220, the exhaust header was around 290, and the muffler was also around 280.  No wonder I burned my leg!   Grin

Dave

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/17/12 at 14:01:10

"Back in the 70's I had a BSA Goldstar 500cc thump with kick start.   I'm finding the S40 is not nearly as violent - LOL"

In the '60's I hand a '37 Enfield 500 single. The compression release was a lever under the clutch lever. If you forgot to pull it in the darn thing could break your ankle if it backfired while you were kicking it, which it could very easily do as it was magneto ignition. No counter-balance either- you had to wear a kidney belt.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot cases

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.