Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Soooo confused
05/15/12 at 13:20:55

Clymers says:

2002 Suzuki Savage = 5 speed tranny

I am pretty dern sure I am NOT able to shift 4 times.

I am concerned that either I have a 4 speed that works fine, (which implys an not original bike) or something in my 5-speed is amiss.

Any ideas on how to determine what my transmission SHOULD be doing?  VIN on the motor?  

I am very unhappy to find out that my bike does NOT have a current title.

Original  owner bought bike had title
Dealer took bike on trade.. never got title
Dealer sold bike.. no title...
New bike owner sold bike to me..
I am waiting on the title....
Tag is circa 2004 from the original owner!

No title = no Tag
No tag = no license
no license, tag, insurance = big trouble if caught

The guy that sold it to me is RICH ( compared to me) his lawyer is working with/aginst the dealer to get it all squared away.  They have offered $100 for the delay ( expected to be 1 month)...

Sad puppy.
   Embarrassed

PS: I was told years ago: to sell without proof of ownership = Theft through conversion....

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: Soooo confused
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 13:33:35

Check on the left side, by the shift, on your drive sprocket. It should have the 1 N 2 3 4 (5) right on the guard.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 16:06:47

PS: I was told years ago: to sell without proof of ownership = Theft through conversion....

& BUying w/o knowing the seller is the lawful owner?

Kinda risky,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 20:32:17

So I made it to the dealership that is at the bottom of all this...

The bike is NOT a 2002

It is a 2003

It does have a 5-speed tranny..

Shifting from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 are all very obvious shifts, big jump gearing, and nice solid clunk of the shifter

4-5 is more like a 1/2 or 1/3 shift.. not audible, and its not a big change in gearing... but it is there.. if you can find it.  Mostly you can tell because the bike will start lugging if your not up around 40, while 4th handles 40 just fine.

I bet my mileage improves!!!!

Story on the Bike:
~ 2003 Some guy buys the bike ( not sure if at this dealership or not), and brings it in for a flat tire and carb work. AND NEVER RETURNS.

2008, the dealership slaps a mechanics lien on it and sells it to "Chip". Chip and the dealership owner are old college buddies.  Chips buys the bike, but never titles it because he is just gonna use it on the farm.
Bike STILL sits at dealership until 2010.
Bike is picked up and trailerd to Chips Farm.
2011 bike is trailerd back to the dealership with gummy carbs and bad battery. Bike has less than 400 miles on it.
2012  Trailerd to Chips house ( in a gated community), where the neighborhood kids drive it around.
2012 -04: Chips neighbor sells the bike to me.

2012-05: Chip never titled the bike because the PLAN was to just use it on the farm. Chip also looses the "dealer title", which transfers the bike directly from the old owner to Chip using the lien.

Since Chip and dealer are old buds, the dealer is trying to get it all worked out. But it will require a form signed by the original owner, to transfer it to Chip. The process takes 4 to 6 weeks.

The only "good news" is that the dealer said if I get caught ridding the bike he will write me up a new bill of sale, making the sale with the allowed 10 days .. of getting caught.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 20:34:45

The only "good news" is that the dealer said if I get caught ridding the bike he will write me up a new bill of sale, making the sale with the allowed 10 days .. of getting caught.

Couldnt ask for a better deal than that,, well,, short of having a Title,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/15/12 at 23:10:49

the final ratios between the 4 sp and the five are not enough for suzuki to have of bothered..i keep lookin for 6th

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/16/12 at 04:35:51

thumperclone wrote on 05/15/12 at 23:10:49:
the final ratios between the 4 sp and the five are not enough for suzuki to have of bothered..i keep lookin for 6th

I have asked myself "WHY did they add that 5th gear?" Was it to keep up with market desires? Were customers put off by "Its only a 4 speed."?
Did it have something to do with the EPA regs forcing the leaner burn & they wanted to make sure it didnt knock so they geared it a little lighter?

Combo?

Isnt it true they went to the 5 speed during the years when they were having to set them up leaner? Thats the impression Ive had, I could be wrong on that, tho.;

& Yea, hunting 6th is just part of riding these,.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 05/16/12 at 20:01:51

I just think of the five speed as a "close ratio" transmission.  Gears spaced closer so it takes an extra gear to achieve the same thing.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 05/16/12 at 23:07:57

I have the same thing with my C50 also. No mater how many times I try still no sixth gear.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Soooo confused

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.