Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Reupholster or different handle bars (Read 516 times)
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reupholster or different handle bars
04/11/12 at 09:53:30

I'm a recent owner of a 2007 Suzuki S40. I"m 6'0 even, and I'm running into issues where after about 30 -45 minutes of riding, I get tension in between my shoulders and my lower back aches. Initially my neck muscles hurt, but that has been fixed by a better fitting helmet. I constantly "make" my arms relax through the ride, so I'm essentially locked into my bike and my arms are just there for steering. I'm on a shoestring budget (around $60-75, birthday money) and am trying to decide if I should get my seat reupholstered ( a local motorcycle shop that i trust recommended someone) or if I should consider going with some 26" superbike bars. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?  

As an FYI, I'm also new to the motorcyle world in general. My S40 is my first bike, having entered the biker world officially in october of 2011 and getting the bike in November (early Christmas present).

Anyone....bueller...anyone? Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Reupholster or different handle bars
Reply #1 - 04/11/12 at 10:09:07

If you're getting shoulder/back tension,.. do the bars first...

What bars do you have now?... pull-backs?...
At 6ft,... 26" bars are very narrow, and will likely increase tension,... I'd go for 30" to 32" wide.
Imagine trying to do push-ups with your hands close together, compared to doing them with your hands directly under your shoulders...
Less muscle stress... in the shoulders and middle back with arms aligned with shoulders...

I got some drag bars on E-bay for $30 shipped brand new...  Drag's do put you in more of a lean position,... Standard bars, are the most comfortable for most people...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/11/12 at 10:37:34

I had the same issues. I went with a pair of 32" bars coupled with Routy's, 6" Forward Controls. The FC's really stretch you out and make the stock seat comfy. The bars are an added bonus and make low speed maneuvering a cinch. The Santee low XLX style drag bars ~$26.

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/11/12 at 10:39:13

Serowbot, at the moment I have the stock buckhorns that come on the bike.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I've sat on my bike, closed my eyes, put my elbows at my side, then extended them to where it was comfortable. It appear that I need to come back around 1-2 inches and go down about the same. My nature posture is a "non-apehanger" posture, if that helps.

I'll check out the drags.  If you (or anyone) has an more recommendations, I'm all ears.

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/12 at 10:40:51

Super, I'd love to do Routy's control, but I just can't swing the money at the moment, I think the latest I've seen for shipping to TN is $115 (west tn), which I don't have.

However, I will definitely do some browsing based on your recommendations.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/11/12 at 11:02:21

I'm not necessarily recommencing drag bars, (just saying what I have).. standard's/super bike/motard will be more comfortable.

The "close your eyes and reach" method, can be useful for determining width, but... keep in mind that you want a bit more forward/downward lean at speeds over 40mph to compensate for the wind force pushing against you... otherwise you'll find yourself using your arms to hold on... (very tiring)..

These are kinda' standard...(sorry 'bout the giant pic).. Huh...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Diameter-Chrome-Handlebars-Handle-bar-/190650941167...

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/11/12 at 11:05:17

Serowbot, those are actually the one's I'm looking at. FYI, the bike did come with a windshield, which the prior owner put on.

For the handlebars you showed me, will I have to buy any additional cables or control lines?  Or will the stock control lines still work?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/11/12 at 11:12:44

Stock cables should be fine... Wink...

You'll have to drill a hole in the bars to match a small alignment pins in the control housings on both sides... (they stop the assembly's from twisting around on the bars)

Tip... use rubbing alcohol (between the bar and the grip)to remove and install grips... Wink...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/11/12 at 13:13:02

The bars I got for my build are from a modern Triumph Bonneville. They also use 1" bars, and I really like the way they look and feel.
Might give you a few more options for shape and size....
Search Ebay for "Norman Hyde Bars" or just Triumph bars.

This one is new, and a bit spendy; I found mine used for $30...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebars-1-Norman-Hyde-M-type-Cafe-Bars-New-Bonnevi...

If you hurry, these might go pretty cheap....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-handlebars-1-pre-unit-bars-bonny-Bonneville-N...

I also found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Nacelle-1-handlebars-all-Nacelle-years-97-069...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/11/12 at 13:18:17

Oh, and if you DO decide to upgrade your seat, This guy is really good. I sent my Nighthawk seat to him; I think it was $150 or so, and he rebuilt it with "Supracore". Basically the top of the line for what he does.
I use that bike for long trips, and camping and such, and I can go 6-8 hours comfortably and get up and do it all again the next day. I doubt you'll get that kind of comfort from your Savage, ut you should be able to do a lot more than 45 minutes.... Grin

SPENCER'S SEAT MOD:
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/14/12 at 18:24:15

Supersavage, these are the one's that I'm looking at getting, based on your recommendation.  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-210?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=...

Based on what I can tell from picture and manuals, it looks like the right assembly is all one piece (somehow), so if you loosen the control part, the whole thing (grip included) comes off. Am I seeing that correctly?  I've never done this before, and the clymer manual does really show this from what I can tell. A buddy of mine has switched out bars before, but not on s40's. For these handlebars, will I need to get any extensions, additional cabling, etc?

Thanks for everyone for all the tips. Keep 'em coming  Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/14/12 at 18:46:20

hard to say, I started with buckhorns (cables are a little longer)
and went to 30" and about the same rise, no problem.

WWW   IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/20/12 at 13:07:23

Since I've never done this before...does anyone know where I can get some instructions? The clymer manual does shed any light on this....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/20/12 at 13:17:49

YOu arent being ignored,, Id toss you a bone, but I dont know anything about this kinda stuff..

Dont be afraid to post your question again, someone with experience will chime in soon,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 04/20/12 at 13:39:26

Alrighty,.. I'll probably forget a step, but here's a try...

1. Cover the tank with a plush towel...

2. Cover the tank with a plush towel... (can't be emphasized too much)...

3. get some rubbing alcohol under the grips, then twist and wiggle (the grips) take 'em off. You need to set the depth of the the throttle mounting anyway...

4. loosen the screws for the controls about 1/8" out, to release the alignment pins, and wiggle them off...

5. thank me for telling you to cover the tank now that you fumbled on dropped them on it...

6.  carefully hook them somewhere out of the way...

7. pop the plastic chrome covers and pull the bolts out of the bar clamps (hold the bars while you do this0

8.remove bars.

9. put new bars in place.

10. nut'em to the risers but don't tighten (need to wiggle to get controls on)...

11. get controls in place.

12. sit on bike and hold bars where you want them... tighten bars down. and mark the bar where you need to drill for the alignment pins... then remove controls again.

12. drill

13. put 'em back on again, and tighten.

14. lube up the grips with more alcohol and slide them on. put end caps on.

15. adjust mirrors.

16. check everything for tight.

17. remove towel.

18. thank me again for making you cover the tank.

19 ride.

Wink...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reupholster or different handle bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!