Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Narrow ape hanger (Read 110 times)
BikeMike
Ex Member

Narrow ape hanger
05/12/12 at 10:21:48

Guys.

Being new here I’ll appologize for a question that might have been answered earlier. I did search but did not find the exact answer I was looking for.

Here it goes:

Just bought a 2000 LS650P for an old school bobber project. I’m in Europe so much of the stuff I need has to be sent from the other side of the pond, so I need to make the right choices as it is expensive to choose wrong.

First of I want it to have a forward leaning narrow ape hanger. I know I need to change the gas and the throttel cables, but I really have no idea if I would want it 12” 14” or 16” high and how much pullback. I wonder if anyone have a pic of their bike with these hights of apes and wouldn’t mind showing and telling the hight at the same time.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks
BikeMike

IP Logged
BikeMike
Ex Member

Re: Narrow ape hanger
Reply #1 - 05/12/12 at 10:25:13

Ideally it would end a bit like this http://nomadbobbers.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/suzuki-savage-bobber/dsc_0749/. But I don’t know the hight of the apes in the pic in the link and it is quite hard to visualize the difference.

I actually considered something like this (14” or 17”) where I get new black levers and stuff: www.cruisercustomizing.com/bagger-werx-black-17in-pre-built-ape-hanger-assemb...
Anyone with experience if this HD set would work?

Thanks
BikeMike

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 14:46:59

A word of caution when buying HD specific bars, their clamps are a little closer together.

Bars are really personal, I'd want to know that rise and pull back work for me before I shell out a lot of cash for a specific product like this.  raising up your current bars would be the way to find out.  then buy the bars after you find out the best rise for you.

WWW   IP Logged
BikeMike
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/12 at 01:48:57

Thanks for your comment (and also thank to those who messaged me directly - I can't answer those as I haven't reached the threshold for sending personal messages on the board  Lips Sealed).

Anyhow, I agree that it will be somewhat of a chance if ergonomics goes south with another handlebar, but I will never be riding any long distances on the bike anyway - mostly just down to the local bakery (in Europe we still have those) and back Wink - and ultimately I aim for the right (updated) 70'ish apperance. So it needs to be tall, real tall.

My big concern with the Bagger Werx handlebar is more if those "made for HD" contacts and cables will fit on a metric bike.

For now I'm keeping a lit on my customization urge, as I have millions of ideas on what could be changed but only one bike Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/19/12 at 10:23:07

For now I'm keeping a lit on my customization urge, as I have millions of ideas on what could be changed but only one bike Smiley

Yea, Ive walked into probably a dozen tattoo parlors, Ive had an idea or 2 of my own,,looked in their art books,, & always decided Nope,, because I mite change my mind later.

Ive never understood why women, when theyre Looking for That Guy,, The Guy who isnt afraid of "Commitment", why they dont go huntin a guy with some Big, Bold Tattoos,, cuz Pahdnuh, thats commitment,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 05/19/12 at 20:18:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/12 at 10:23:07:
Ive never understood why women, when theyre Looking for That Guy,, The Guy who isnt afraid of "Commitment", why they dont go huntin a guy with some Big, Bold Tattoos,, cuz Pahdnuh, thats commitment,,

Cause women are hunters and like to chase after those squirrely type of dudes..

And one time I got a tattoo just because they were having a sale and it was only $40... the only tattoo I have that I really don't want...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/20/12 at 12:50:23

Swapping the bars is not all that difficult, but knowing that you are wanting to go that tall will require some planning...

There are lots of tall bars out there to choose from. Find a site that has the dimensions listed and try bending some metal coat hangers into a similar shape...Height & Width...to determine what you really want to order.

You will obviously need to order a custom throttle cable, clutch cable, and brake line. My recommendation would be to wait until you have the bars you chose mocked up to properly measure just how long you will need to order those items. (LANCER on this forum is a great source of ordering custom cables once you get the lengths determined)

While you are waiting for the cables to arrive, you can cut/extend the wiring for both sets of hand controls. Just a simple cut, splice, solder, heat-shrink wrap process will work but make sure you have made good connections, you don't want to be chasing an electric problem once you get it put back together.

Good luck  Cool Would like to see the pic of your bike when you get it done too

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:18:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Narrow ape hanger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.