Send Topic Print
Tank idea's (Read 440 times)
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tank idea's
05/10/12 at 22:15:01

Just read an article of a guy using a Benelli 250 gas tank on his honda CL350. I was wondering if anyone else has turned their savage into a cafe racer and used another tank. Pictures would be appreciated!

IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Tank idea's
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 18:05:58

Ive got a sportster tank on mine.  Always on the look out for some mini spun aluminum tanks

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 07:57:50

If you can fab the mounts then it 's more about what looks good to you. If you want to mount a sportster tank high on the backbone it'll clear everything and your good, otherwise the tank you use has to have a wide enough tunnel to clear everything. I have been looking at tanks on my salvage yard runs, this is great, I can hold the tanks and get real accurate measurements. Things usually are way different in your hands than in pictures.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/12/12 at 10:29:24

I've noticed that, I bought my 03 savage last night and they are way smaller in person.

IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 07:44:59

I bought a tank from a 79 KZ400. Tunnel is perfect. Front mounts work but will need to be moved forward. Rear mount will have to be fabbed.

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #5 - 05/15/12 at 10:48:12

jay313 wrote on 05/15/12 at 07:44:59:
I bought a tank from a 79 KZ400. Tunnel is perfect. Front mounts work but will need to be moved forward. Rear mount will have to be fabbed.

Huh.....I've been told KZ 400 wheels might work on the savage....nice tank by the way.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/15/12 at 12:06:56

I'm using a tank from a 1969 Suzuki T350, but my buddy whose doing most of the work ended up cutting and re-welding the spine of the frame in order to get a perfect fit. Wasn't 100% necessary, I thought; could have modded the tank, but he wanted to go for it...

Complete build thread... so far... is in my signature line...

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/15/12 at 16:37:02

Hey jay313,

Any pics of the KZ  tank and how it sits on the bike?  

You can create a folder in bikepics.com and reference picturet from here. The technical documents section shows how to post pics. It's gotta be easy if I can do it.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #8 - 05/16/12 at 08:31:03

The lines and proportions on your bike are going to be outstanding teabowl....I'll wait on my tank till after summer, finishing my mid controls and  getting rid of 15'' scooter wheel are priority.

savage_005_002.JPG

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/16/12 at 10:17:10

Teabowl 13 you have a pretty awesome bike forming. What are you doing for the seat, I see some welding and additional parts going on. Also what did you do about the swing arm

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/16/12 at 12:29:31

THANKS GUYS!
My buddy Jay has pretty much dropped the ball on me with this; it's been at his place 150 miles away in pieces for quite some time... He keeps saying he's gonna call me....

Anyhoo...
The seat will be completely custom. Jay and I made the seat pan out of Fiberglass last month or so. He was supposed to send it out to his seat guy and have it sprayed with foam; then mail it up to me to shape it; which won't be easy without having the bike to fit it onto... Then I have a client who is supposed to do the final upholstery.

The swingarm brace got cut out and he replaced it with a smaller heavier box section tube. Gussets will have to get added at some point. Again, he's been telling me for weeks that his "buddy" is taking care of it....  Angry Angry Angry

It should give me room for a bigger tire, but I don't think we will actually need it with the tires I have on there; they are almost exactly the same size as the RYCA tires. (I just can't remember the exact size off the top of my head....)

Wish me luck!
And good luck to all o' y'all with your tank ideas....
Definitely post up some pictures!
Cheers!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/16/12 at 12:34:02

By the way... I found this picture last Fall when I was researching this idea. Never did find out who built this bike or any other info on it. Looks like British or European; definitely a Euro-style license plate.

I think the tank is probably an aftermarket one; I've seen a lot of similar tanks cruising around on Ebay, but also through a place called AIRTECH....

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagetanks.htm

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/16/12 at 16:02:16

The only real Tank Idea I have is

I WANT One,, & a good crew & Lots & Lots of ammo!

Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/18/12 at 06:26:12

John in Kalifornia wrote on 05/15/12 at 16:37:02:
Hey jay313,

Any pics of the KZ  tank and how it sits on the bike?  

You can create a folder in bikepics.com and reference picturet from here. The technical documents section shows how to post pics. It's gotta be easy if I can do it.

John in Kalifornia

Sorry it took a min to get back on this. Tank isn't mounted yet. I'm just finishing stripping the bike down, getting new shocks mounted, and lowering the forks. Want to get the stance right before I give it to the guy who's doing the fab work for me. I'll post some pics once I get it on there. May create a build thread of my own. Except I'm lazy about taking pics. Lol

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/12 at 17:09:48

is that rear hub anodized????

skeebo wrote on 05/16/12 at 08:31:03:
 The lines and proportions on your bike are going to be outstanding teabowl....I'll wait on my tank till after summer, finishing my mid controls and  getting rid of 15'' scooter wheel are priority.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tank idea's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.