Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Idle Mix Screw Brass Plug removal  (with Pics) (Read 130 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Idle Mix Screw Brass Plug removal  (with Pics)
05/10/12 at 11:36:44

223fan wrote on 04/29/12 at 14:59:36:
How many turns out on average?I'm 2 turns out from stock and I dont hear any differance in the way it idles.Thanks

From what I gather from these folks, 2.5 to 3 turns max. If you need more than 3 it is time to rejet. When you turn it, you will need to wait 15-20 seconds to see if there is a difference.

Also, at 2.5 turns out and more we have had some reports of the screw simply falling out due to road vibration as the spring won't retain it properly when turned out that far.   So this is another good reason to go ahead and rejet if you have to turn it out that far.

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 21:03:01 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
RideToOblivion
YaBB Newbies

Slowly but surely
getting some
mileage.

Champaign, Illinois
Reply #1 - 08/17/12 at 16:24:48

When you say 2.5-3 turns from stock. Is stock considered completely tightened in or is there a certain amount of turns to be at stock? Mine is at around 8 turns out from tight(it was out more than that when i got the bike.) Luckily it hasn't fallen out but I just got a new screw/washers/gasket etc because mine was overly corroded so wondering what I should reset it to for a better idea.

I decided not to wear a helmet..then I swallowed a june bug. Lesson learned.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/17/12 at 16:32:12

RideToOblivion wrote on 08/17/12 at 16:24:48:
When you say 2.5-3 turns from stock. Is stock considered completely tightened in or is there a certain amount of turns to be at stock? Mine is at around 8 turns out from tight(it was out more than that when i got the bike.) Luckily it hasn't fallen out but I just got a new screw/washers/gasket etc because mine was overly corroded so wondering what I should reset it to for a better idea.

Bad terminology.  He should mean 2 to 3 turns out (from all the way in).  At 3 turns out on a worn screw, you will shortly need a new screw.

WWW   IP Logged
RideToOblivion
YaBB Newbies

Slowly but surely
getting some
mileage.

Champaign, Illinois
Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 16:54:35

Thanks for the quick reply, going out to put the new screw in now so Ill see where im at(cleaned out the TEV and had to change settings on this and the idle speed screw) Hopeing I wont have to rejet!

I decided not to wear a helmet..then I swallowed a june bug. Lesson learned.
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 08/27/12 at 20:15:21

The dent puller is a must for easy removal.  I used one today and it worked well.

I need some help! Here'a a quick update.

I live in San Diego at Sea Level, inland about 15 miles but get some humidity from the coast. I bought the bike a little over a year ago with 4500 miles.  It was a good deal and needed little maintenance so I got new tires, front breaks, changed my petcock to a raptor, my muffler to a DYNA, switched to Rotella Synthetic for my own peace of mind and raised the idle just a bit.

Bike ran fine but I've had some backfire that I could only control a bit with the clutch so I decided to remove the brass plug to adjust the jet plug today.

I screwed the plug clockwise all the way in and ended up going back counter-clockwise approximately a little over 1 and a 1/4 turn and turning the idle down less than a 1/4 turn from it's current idle adjustment.  The bike runs fine but I'm still getting some backfire.  I checked the exhaust pipe with a lighter and I don't seem to have any leaks.

What may anyone suggest should be my next step? Do I keep going counter-clockwise on the jet screw and then adjust the idle as needed?

Thanks for all the help, I love working on this bike.  It's so inexpensive.  I plan to slowly modify the body once I get it running optimal! Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/27/12 at 20:42:42

another 1/8 to 1/4 turn should do it.

WWW   IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 08/28/12 at 01:52:03

Don't have a dent puller?
After drilling the plug, knock the point off a drywall screw & run it in 1/8".  Grip it with Visegrips & tie something with a couple pounds of weight to it, leaving a foot or so of slack in the line.  Snatch it like you would a dent puller.  Just keep a hand on the Visegrips so they don't drop on the engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/28/12 at 04:17:31

lacon wrote on 08/28/12 at 01:52:03:
After drilling the plug, knock the point off a drywall screw & run it in 1/8".  Grip it with Visegrips & tie something with a couple pounds of weight to it, leaving a foot or so of slack in the line.  Snatch it like you would a dent puller.  Just keep a hand on the Visegrips so they don't drop on the engine.  

Thats a clever answer..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/28/12 at 06:46:31

lacon wrote on 08/28/12 at 01:52:03:

Ever thought about going to Dental School?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Idle Mix Screw Brass Plug removal  (with Pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.