Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4 speed shut down hickup (Read 68 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
4 speed shut down hickup
04/19/12 at 20:57:44

What is a guy had a switch & ran 12 volts to the decomp solenoid when he shut off?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: 4 speed shut down hickup
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 21:12:48

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 21:49:38

One of isnt following what the other is saying,, no,, I think Both of us are failing to grasp the post of the other,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 04/20/12 at 07:04:56

Sorry, I meant to indicate that someone had already used the concept of firing the decompression solenoid to avoid the engine kickback. I guess what you're suggesting is that a switch be used to avoid the eventual failure of the electronics described in the thread I linked to?

If so, fair enough. Seems like a good way to have a reliable (or at leas easily fixed) electronic solution to the shutdown problem. I wonder what my buddy does with his '88...

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/20/12 at 07:22:18

Actually,, I didnt know the thing fired to accomplish that,, I didnt see that, I just saw the added hardware in the gears,, but,, I dont care if its "been done",, its not being done on the old 4 speeds, is it? If its already happening, then,, its not the answer I thot it would be,
Seems to me be using the decomp it wouldnt be able to bounce the piston off of compression & rotate backwards,

IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/20/12 at 07:30:11

Maybe I'm reading the linked thread wrong, but my understanding is there's a circuit people are using which senses the use of the engine kill switch and uses that to fire the decomp solenoid.  This is used on 4-speeds to avoid the problem of engine counter rotation at shutdown on those bikes.

I could be wrong though, as my wife would gladly point out.  Smiley

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/20/12 at 09:03:17

Would someone in the know please chime in?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/20/12 at 09:17:04

I'm not following your line of thought.

Yes, there's someone who suggested adding a switch to operate the decomp solenoid.  Don't remember who, and don't care to search.

A fellow in europe invented the automatic shutdown decomp circuit as referenced in the linked thread.

5 speeds have a mechanical method, and it's transferable to the 4 speeds.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/20/12 at 09:25:15

Im wanting to know if thats the quickest, cheapest answer to protecting the starter gears.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/20/12 at 14:47:32

I am no expert in this matter at all; but I am working with a 4 speed as well, and came across Verslagen's original post about this issue:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670/0

After reading through everything, including all the conversation about the various electronic fixes, I found it all fairly confusing, but I concluded that the electronic fixes weren't always reliable, and the whole discussion about them left too many open holes for me to feel comfortable.

I took Verslagen's advice, and sourced the replacement gears and a new cover (from Verslagen himself, as it turned out, thank you kind sir!) I haven't installed any of it yet, as the bike is still in pieces waiting for reassembly and a whole host of other issues to be addressed first.

I did search for the parts on Ebay for quite a while, and found them hard to locate; that's when I contacted Verslagen and lucked out. A scrap yard might be a better bet. I did find the gear itself new for $125.

Hope that helps?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:35:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4 speed shut down hickup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.