Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bigger front pulley... (fail)... (Read 1079 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bigger front pulley... (fail)...
Reply #30 - 04/27/12 at 19:22:04

Red Green is smiling down on you, brother!
He'd be so proud!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #31 - 04/27/12 at 20:07:14

Serowbot wrote on 04/27/12 at 18:25:32:

Priceless. Ever heard of a site called There, I Fixed it.  ?

http://cheezburger.com/6167133440

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #32 - 04/27/12 at 20:43:27

Serowbot wrote on 04/27/12 at 18:25:32:
...but, I think this worked...

..and your calipers look very scientific!  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 04/27/12 at 20:59:52

I needed some washers to be smaller outside diameter, needed 6 of them,, ran a long bolt thru them, put a nut on the end & chucked it up in the drill press,, grabbed the grinder & fired the drill press up & worked them down, all the same diameter, all pretty danged round,This setup, with a grinder on a drill press is AWESOME!! I Love it!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sirimbaguayacol
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 07/21/12 at 14:13:48

Well , I am new in the forum, but I've been using a kawasaki 454 LTD front pulley (25 teeth) for like 6 months and everything seems to be perfect , no noise from the belt , any false movement; I also put a 90/140 rear tire and with the mix of those two mods the bike runs smooth , faster, without vibration. I checked my speedometer while riding with a friend and when he was at 70 mph I was doing 59 mph at the same speed. For sure the front pulley mod works using a lot less rpms , you also can use a kawasaki en500 vulcan front pulley (1990-1995). And there is something that everyone with a savage or s40 should know, that if a pulley from a kawasaki 454 or en500 can be use in our bikes, we can use also the belt drive from them, wich I believe the one from the 454 is a litter shorter than ours , but the one from the en500 is like 3 or 4 teeth larger with the same pitch and everything. But there's more; I haven't done it yet , but I can bet that both kawasaki's spokeless rear wheels can be use in our bikes also, including rear brake hub and everything(this is gonna be my next mod)

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 07/21/12 at 14:48:08

Wow, I've got one of those "Make an electric drill into a drill press" thingies rusting away in the back yard. I'll have to rescue it for precision milling. Now to think of a good acronym for "CNC".

THis is almost as good as the one from the HAMB where the hot rodder uses an angle sander to make whitewall tires.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Sirimbaguayacol
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 07/21/12 at 15:52:44

Hi John, I recommend the work to be done in a lathe where there is no chance of error in the internal and external messurament, every side depth has to be the same as the original pulley to be able to work just fine.

IP Logged
Sirimbaguayacol
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 07/21/12 at 16:00:05

I used a bench lathe for everything, the center of the pulley is made by a very hard material, but with pacience I finished the job.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #38 - 07/21/12 at 17:38:00

Sirimbaguayacol wrote on 07/21/12 at 16:00:05:
I used a bench lathe for everything, the center of the pulley is made by a very hard material, but with pacience I finished the job.

Yes, a carbide lathe tool and a little patience should yield great results.
I wish I could afford a real nice lathe. As a machinist with a different occupation, I DO miss running a lathe. If I had one, lots of things would be different on my bike by now. Including doing stuff for others.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #39 - 07/20/13 at 11:09:03

now I repeated the same way... recently installed the same drive pulley from EN-454. I had to remove metal from both sides of the seat under the motor shaft. and I have no scratches on the cover... now the impression... of course after you install this pulley of the Savage was "less rich" when overclocking...  Savage now not so wild. Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #40 - 08/23/13 at 11:06:53

so, i draw a total of approximately 1000 or can more miles after installing bigger pulley.As I said, pulley came without any alterations and mileage is currently about 1,000 km in different speed modes... this upgrade is very good (in my personal feelings), if your trips are mainly outside the city.... inside the city's traffic was not very convenient, because the acceleration times are significantly lower. but at a suburban highway travel was much better. acceleration smooth calm and confident... well something like that... in General "to each his own"

« Last Edit: 08/23/13 at 23:38:16 by wambr »  

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #41 - 08/23/13 at 23:51:39

..corrected some errors
... and about the feeling of an old motor my little Savage "sighed with relief" after such an installation. I  do not run to the limit RPM now... about fuel economy(perhaps she is the place to be) I didn't notice because not asked for this purpose so far..

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 08/24/13 at 10:25:27

Sirimbaguayacol wrote on 07/21/12 at 14:13:48:
Well , I am new in the forum, but I've been using a kawasaki 454 LTD front pulley (25 teeth) for like 6 months and everything seems to be perfect , no noise from the belt , any false movement; I also put a 90/140 rear tire and with the mix of those two mods the bike runs smooth , faster, without vibration. I checked my speedometer while riding with a friend and when he was at 70 mph I was doing 59 mph at the same speed. For sure the front pulley mod works using a lot less rpms , you also can use a kawasaki en500 vulcan front pulley (1990-1995). And there is something that everyone with a savage or s40 should know, that if a pulley from a kawasaki 454 or en500 can be use in our bikes, we can use also the belt drive from them, wich I believe the one from the 454 is a litter shorter than ours , but the one from the en500 is like 3 or 4 teeth larger with the same pitch and everything. But there's more; I haven't done it yet , but I can bet that both kawasaki's spokeless rear wheels can be use in our bikes also, including rear brake hub and everything(this is gonna be my next mod)

So,.. is the Kaw belt the same as an LS650 belt, but longer?  (more teeth?)

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 08/24/13 at 10:39:31

verslagen1 wrote on 04/10/13 at 09:53:25:
If you search thru the kawa bikes starting with the EN440, a few use belts that is similar to ours, not exactly but close enough to be compatible.  And longer.  The EN440 (I'll have to look it up) was the shortest, but about a 1" longer.  I scored both pulleys and a belt for about $50.  I forgot how I found the belt lengths, possibly thru the OEM suppliers, some will list number of teeth.

The tooth count of the kawa belt I got is 137
ours is 133
that's about 1.1" longer between centers.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #44 - 08/24/13 at 10:51:40

verslagen1 wrote on 08/24/13 at 10:39:31:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/10/13 at 09:53:25:
If you search thru the kawa bikes starting with the EN440, a few use belts that is similar to ours, not exactly but close enough to be compatible.  And longer.  The EN440 (I'll have to look it up) was the shortest, but about a 1" longer.  I scored both pulleys and a belt for about $50.  I forgot how I found the belt lengths, possibly thru the OEM suppliers, some will list number of teeth.

The tooth count of the kawa belt I got is 137
ours is 133
that's about 1.1" longer between centers.

This might be useful on a RYCA bike with the 18" rear tire.  
 -- There is only about 1/16" range where everything works.
 -- If I move the tire/wheel to the rear far enough for a comfortable amount of clearance on the swingarm, the belt is too tight at full compression of the shocks.  
-- If I move the tire/wheel far enough forward to make sure the belt won't get too tight, the tire rubs on the swingarm.  

A larger range of movement would be helpful.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:50:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger front pulley... (fail)...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.