Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A slightly different helmet question (Read 179 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
A slightly different helmet question
04/17/12 at 11:42:16

I have used the search and read what I could find on helmet suggestions. I was set on purchasing a half helmet but I believe I do want some jaw protection. My last helmet, which I can't find right now, was a full face. It was incredibly uncomfortable and hot. Instead of a full face helmet, what do you folks think of a dual sport helmet? They are DOT approved, seem to have more room in front of the face, don't have shields (which I don't want), and it looks like the visor can be removed. I am looking for opinions on both protection and (lack of) style.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: A slightly different helmet question
Reply #1 - 04/17/12 at 13:55:33

I think they're just fine...  I just like the bug protection of a FF...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #2 - 04/17/12 at 16:14:29

Look at a modular full face. I ride behind a windshield so I don't use the shield. I do use the internal dark pull down goggles. It has 4 vents in front and an always open exhaust vent it the rear. Nolan N90

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/17/12 at 18:20:17

A friend gave me a full face Simpson helmet and I used it for a month, and it worked fine.  It was a little hot in the summer.

I then bought a Dual Sport Helmet and I like it - except for two things.  I get a lot more bugs inside my helmet than I did with the full face helmet.  The bugs hit my chest and bounce up inside my helmet, and often they fly around in there.  The second thing is that the visor and large front really catch a bit of wind when you turn your head to look at something and are going over 50 mph.

When we were in Florida a couple of weeks ago we rented a Harley for a day, and we got half helmets so we could hear each other.  The helmets kept sliding back on my head and was like a beanie on the back of my head and it would pull the strap into my neck.  Maybe there are some better ones that are more adjustable - but this strap let the helmet slide back no matter how tight you made the strap.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 04/17/12 at 18:37:51

A white or light colored helmet will keep ya feeling ten to fifteen degrees cooler in the summer sun. Cool

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #5 - 04/17/12 at 19:00:06

what about a 3/4 helmet, not sure what else they're called.

i'm not one for helmets, even though i know i should be, but i'm going to be looking into the 3/4 helmet. mainly because with a half helmet, my huge melon and no neck make my head and helmet look like a mushroom on a stump.

full face are too hot, so i thought the 3/4 would work out well

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 04/17/12 at 19:24:11

"we got half helmets so we could hear each other."

Careful, you will lose your hearing permanently over time this way.

Noise protection lowers the volume of all frequencies of noise equally. So voice hearing comprehension is not compromised.

BTW I recommend a FF flip-up.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/17/12 at 21:00:09

Yep,,, modulars kick butt..

Talk about savin face..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 04/18/12 at 03:35:33

I usually ride with a 3/4 unless it's God awful hot or just around town (small town) and then I'll wear a 1/2.  I like the 3/4 a lot.  It's got the full face shield if you want, or you can remove it to go old school 3/4 style if you want to.  There isn't going to be a lot of chin protection there though.  Sure, it covers the sides of the face which is better, but (mine at least) doesn't go far enough in front of the chin that if I hit without the shield on....bye bye chin.  My 1/2 also tends to get pushed around/back a bit at highway speeds as others say, but has been better since the addition of a windshield.
I've been looking into getting a FF helmet actually now that I have a little one on the way.  That and the mornings here still tend to be a bit chilly.  Good luck; let us know what you find.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 04/18/12 at 08:36:51

I've been wearing my Fox V3 MX helmet and it's awesome.  Quieter than my FF Shoei, lighter, and less wind buffeting at speed.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 04/18/12 at 08:37:01

Starlifter wrote on 04/17/12 at 19:24:11:

Noise protection lowers the volume of all frequencies of noise equally. So voice hearing comprehension is not compromised.

I have to agree with this statement, the other day I had to pickup my duaghter and I let her use my FF while I put on the 1/2 that was in the saddlebag. I couldn't believe how loud the wind noise was without the extra protection from the helmet (but I did get to hear how loud my exhaust really is-louder that I thought)  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/18/12 at 09:05:52

Starlifter wrote on 04/17/12 at 19:24:11:

I am 56 and have lost a great deal of my hearing already.  Most of it from racing motorcycles and running chainsaws 40 years ago before I knew that hearing protection was important.  The ride we had on the rental Harley in Florida was not loud - the bike had stock mufflers, it had a large windsheild, and we were on back roads and never went very fast.  The most noise I heard from the bike seemed to be the whine of the primary drive.

I can see how a shorty helmet with no windshield could be noisey.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #12 - 04/18/12 at 09:30:50

Cavie wrote on 04/17/12 at 16:14:29:
Look at a modular full face. I ride behind a windshield so I don't use the shield. I do use the internal dark pull down goggles. It has 4 vents in front and an always open exhaust vent it the rear. Nolan N90

+1

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/18/12 at 09:37:28

If I were going to wear half a helmet,... I'd want the half that covers my face...
60% chance that you'll lead with your face in a crash,.. Plus, that's where the wind and bugs hit...
... plus,.. a face needs a nose... and a chin... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #14 - 04/18/12 at 21:16:33

I ride regularly with a half helmet and if its cold or wet out I wear my full face. I've always thought 3/4's looked silly unless you got a classic style one, style throwback to classic 60's and 70's 3/4's. Every time I see someone with one on it makes their cheeks looks puffy and just, well call me vain but I'd rather have a half. Even if it isn't near as safe.

But don't let looks cloud you're judgement! If you don't feel comfortable in anything but a full or 3/4 face helmet then don't get anything else.  Wink

I rode with a full face the first 2 yrs I rode a cycle.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:20:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A slightly different helmet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.