Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More issues with the bike... (Read 401 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: More issues with the bike...
Reply #15 - 04/22/12 at 12:39:13

I forgot to mention.. the bike runs just fine with the choke out.  I think at half out and full out it runs alright, still a bit jerky though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/22/12 at 12:53:00

Zeke342 wrote on 04/22/12 at 12:30:13:
#19 the fuel filter is NOT in our carb.  When we ordered the rebuild kit it did not come with one and I'm fairly certain my dad stuck it back in without one on it.  Is that filter VERY necessary?  What are the effects of not having it?

that's the last ditch effort to catch something large before it gets thru the float valve.  you gotta filter between the carb and tank, should be fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/22/12 at 12:57:24

Dang...

So the problem is MOST LIKELY the jets >.< dang.

Any other "at home" possible solutions I could try out by chance lol?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/22/12 at 13:26:30

Zeke342 wrote on 04/22/12 at 12:39:13:
I forgot to mention.. the bike runs just fine with the choke out.  I think at half out and full out it runs alright, still a bit jerky though.

...a bit jerky, isn't alright... but if it's better with choke out, you need more jetting.
Did we find out what your jetting is currently?... I'd start with a 152.5 or 155# main, and a 55# pilot... then follow the tuning guide to test..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/22/12 at 13:30:44

Right now the jets are whatever comes with the rebuild kit (little baggy stapled to blue cardboard, i think it's mikuni).. so I'm not sure.  

Where do I buy the correct jets at?

We just started the bike and thought maybe the idle was too high or low.. and any higher the whole bike is vibrating bad and way too loud and any lower the bike idles okay but every 5-8 seconds it sputters and sounds like it wants to die.

We looked around and everywhere we looked people said not jetting would just make it run lean and none of the problem were experiencing was listed anywhere.. but since we can't find our problem and a fix anywhere.. well just take everyone heres word for it lol

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 04/22/12 at 13:36:38

Honestly,.. you may be in a little over your head...
If you have the stock muffler or a Dyna, I'd put that in... jetting will be much easier and the bike will run better...
Open pipes are just noisemakers... you can't really baffle an open pipe enough to make it a good exhaust, ...just not as bad as open...
My bike, with a Dyna, will smoke any open piped Savage 0 - 90mph, and anywhere in between...
Most entirely stock bikes will, too...

I'd get that part 19# screen and put that in too... it may be necessary as a spacer to the seat... (should be there anyway)...

... and, are you Raptored? or have you checked the petcock?...
See here...
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/22/12 at 13:53:36

Yeah a friend of my dads put the pipe on there YEARS ago.. way too loud.  I like the looks of it but the noise is just unnecessary.
Its the only pipe we have unfortunately.

The old petcock wasn't allowing fuel to flow at all, on PRI or ON so the mechanic put a totally new one on, it's not a raptor though.  But with the tiny filter on we can see fuel flowing into the carb at a good rate.

However, when removing the line a little bit of fuel did come out of the line.

I think ill order a stock pop of eBay, they're a bit pricey, unless someone knows a better place to get one?  And if I order that pipe should I still need to rejet?

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/25/12 at 15:05:01

Pipe came in today and we installed it (SOOOO much quieter thankfully) but the problem still persists... it's not AS bad but still not rideable at all unless the choke is pulled out.. and the choke only has to be out a little bit, barely at all.  and from what I understand riding with the choke out is a bad idea (constantly atleast)

This is the carb rebuild kit we purchased a few months back (when it was still straight piped and not running AT ALL)..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUZUKI-CARBURETOR-REPAIR-KIT-LS650-SAVAGE-1996-20...

Sooo.. I'm wondering.. for Oklahoma, on a stock exhaust, what EXACTLY does anyone recommend goes in the carb, jets, etc..?  I'm unsure where to buy jets from.. I only found reasonably priced ones from Ryca Sad

I heard lancer jets add power, right?  

I just want whatever is best for the bike, so it is running and reliable lol.  And I'm at a loss for what I need and where to get it and I'm trying my best to avoid the mechanics cause we've already dropped enough money into the bike (probably more than it's even worth)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 04/25/12 at 15:37:55

Ohhh maaan,, a stock muff? You coulda grabbed a Dyna & been way ahead in looks, sound, power & $$$,, other than that, ya did Great!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 04/25/12 at 15:40:12

My understanding is that lancer supplied the jet kits to RYCA.

can't say if they're the same as he may have customized it for them.

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/25/12 at 15:48:40

The stock muffler sounds much better than the straight pipe, just wish that would have fixed the problem cause it was like $160 lol.  I wanted to avoid Dyna cause I figured stock muffler on stock (rebuild kit) jets would resolve the issue.. I was wrong >.<

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 04/25/12 at 18:15:19

ooops..

You can drop some pounds, get a nice mellow sound, pick up a fraction of a horsepower & have a prettier ( IMO) muffler for $20.00..I think the Dyna is made for these things.. wish I woulda done that instead of the Supertrapp.. but it does run good as heck with the TRapp & 14 disks,, I gotta say..& it sounds Mahvelous,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/25/12 at 18:28:05

Well were gonna pull the carb apart in the morning, give it a thorough cleaning, and if that doesn't fix it were gonna order some jets I suppose.

Does anyone know any easy way to get the carb back on and off the bike.  The internals aren't an issue.. it's puttin the darn thing back on the bike that sucks.  Should we have to remove the entire battery box??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 04/25/12 at 19:17:43

removing the bat box will give you more room to wrestle it on.

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/25/12 at 19:23:15

So pretty much to rejet...

Take carb off..
Put new jets in..
put carb back on...
Test bike
if it works...
Success!

If not... rinse and repeat -.-?

Aside from taking the carb on and off, sounds easy lol.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of exactly what jet kit I need (preferably affordable).  I know of the ones on Ryca, but I'm unsure of exactly what size main and pilot jets, on a bone stock 1997 suzuki savage, in Oklahoma (about 600-800ft elevation)..

A good estimate of what jets are most likely to work would be great Smiley
Thanks everyone so far for the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:26:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More issues with the bike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.