Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vintage Whizzer moped tank on a Savage? (Read 121 times)
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vintage Whizzer moped tank on a Savage?
04/26/12 at 08:48:04

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=24957.10

I saw this guy putting a Whizzer tank on his XS400. Any thoughts on how this might look on a Savage?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Vintage Whizzer moped tank on a Savage?
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 09:46:57

Looks good, if you like the look....

...but, it holds less than a gallon... you'll be filling up every 40 miles... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 09:53:54

Probably look a lot like the Harley Peanut tanks; a few guys here have used those; you could search through the threads for pictures of them to get some idea...

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/26/12 at 09:57:16

I saw online that the tank holds 1.8 gallons? The Ryca slim tank holds 2.5. Most of my riding is in the city and I could manage a 1.8 gallon tank.

I think I am going to buy it and just see how it looks on frame and what kind of bracket or whatever I would need to make to mount it. If it doesn't work, I'll just return it.

What are some other moped tanks that could work?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/26/12 at 10:51:35

Here's a fat tank that holds 1.8...  stock whizzers are smaller...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Gas-Tank-will-fit-Whizzer-motorbikes-/22056888322...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/26/12 at 12:35:57

Any tank "could" work if you want it too; almost none of them are going to be a direct bolt-on job, but if you are willing to fab and fannagle a little who knows? I'd look at old dirt-bike tanks or anything vintage on Ebay...
most tanks from larger bikes should be pretty easy to mount. A tank from a smaller bike is likely to have a narrower space down the middle, and might be harder to work with or need more flim-flammery...

I'm mounting a 1969 tank to my roadster, but my pal Jay decided het cut up the frame and re-weld it to get it on there; more work than I would have done, nor would I recommend it. i do love the results though.... And it's 3.5 Gallons!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/26/12 at 16:39:08

Easiest vintage tanks to fit are, in no particular order...

Honda small CBs and smaller ATCs. Kawasaki small KZs (think 400, 440). CZ. JAWA. PUCH. OLD HD dirt track tanks (think K model flathead).

Anything else is a pain in the butt. Stock Sportster and Big Twin tanks are too long. You can make them work though.

If you are leaning towards an HD factory type vintage tank, check out "Taiwan Ted's" (V-twin Mfg).

Retro but non-HD? Jammer (Custom Chrome) has some neat ones but you'll pay through the nose for them. Same with Paughco.

I run an unknown vintage/make dirt track tank on mine. Fits the frame swell perfectly, welded on a mounting tab that fits our stock rear mount. Only issue is the right side petcock.

Also, see if Bent Bike Motorcycle Salvage in Lynnwood or Auburn Washington still has a website. They used to have a couple hundred new old stock 1970s custom tanks (Peanut and coffin) that were made for British and Japanese parallel twins. And tons of used fuel tanks from the 30s on up to now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vintage Whizzer moped tank on a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.