Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More issues with the bike... (Read 401 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

More issues with the bike...
04/16/12 at 16:22:34

Finally, after 5+ years our savage is running again and we thought wonderfully.  Until today.  Went on about a 20 mile ride and pushed in the choke when the bike was nice a warmed up.. well.. when i push in the choke the bike putters HARD and starts jerking and can't get any form of acceleration out of it.. nothin..

The only mechanical mods to the bike is a straight pipe, soon to have a baffle in it because it is WAY too loud.  I was wondering if lack of back pressure could cause this problem and if a baffle would fix that?  It was rejetted when the exhaust was put on..

Just unsure of what could cause this and I'm fairly certain it is bad to ride with the choke out constantly, right?  Is there something I can adjust.. or what Sad??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: More issues with the bike...
Reply #1 - 04/16/12 at 16:32:59

put the baffle in see what happens

if it don't fix'er up, clean the carb

if it don't fix'er up, re jet the carb

WWW   IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #2 - 04/17/12 at 16:33:54

Carb rejeting is best left to the experts. I don't care how easy you think it is. Both my bikes start with no choke, warm up just fine in a few min at idle speed. Volusia 800 and S40 Boulavard

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/17/12 at 21:19:26

Cavie wrote on 04/17/12 at 16:33:54:
Carb rejeting is best left to the experts. I don't care how easy you think it is. Both my bikes start with no choke, warm up just fine in a few min at idle speed. Volusia 800 and S40 Boulavard

Naaah,,, If I can do it, INNNY body can do it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/17/12 at 23:07:40

Baffles should help...
Do that first,.. then adjust as needed...

Heck,.. even JOG can do it...  (quite well, I'll bet)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/18/12 at 02:05:05

Ohh yea,, Im always baffled,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/18/12 at 07:53:16

Cavie wrote on 04/17/12 at 16:33:54:

Gotta agree with JOG.  Lancer has provided some excellent instruction (available in the Tech section) to which others have added on.  If you follow it, tuning a carb (especially a single carb) is pretty simple.  I'm an amateur when it comes to engines and I can do it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/22/12 at 11:11:31

Okay..

So we put in two different baffles, one restricted air flow ALOT but kept it pretty quiet.. the other restricted a little and not so much quite.

However... Now the bike acclerates to about 5-10mph and then shakes VIOLENTLY.. if I shift into second its okay.. until about 3 seconds of acceleration then more violent shaking.  The bike wouldnt go over 35mph.  

In neutral reving the exhaust did nothing after about 1/3 throttle it was just constant backfires and just sounded like crap.

We just realized today.. after getting the bike worked on a week or two back that the back has pipes.. no brand.. just something a friend of my dads did 5+ years back at the time it WAS rejetted.  However after the back setting for 5+ years the carb needed to be rebuilt and cleaned and I'm fairly certain we stuck stock jets in there that came with the rebuild kit (big mistake?) unfortunately at the time the thought never once crossed our minds.  Could not rejetting be the issue?  My dad recommends I just order stock pipes for it (ebay?)

Also, the bike ran perfectly fine the day before we put a new baffle in (the old one fell out mid ride -.-) it wouldn't start without choke all the way out but was fine (kinda.. a little jerky for the first 4 or 5 miles) after putting the choke in.

When we took it to the shop, the mechanic said there was a bunch of crap in the tank so they stuck one of these on
http://www.amazon.com/Visu-Filter-Large-Capacity-Fuel-Filter/dp/B004X9M7SC
and it causes a mild bend in the fuel line, we took it off.. cleaned it all out.. but the problem persists.  

Unfortunately we just sunk $400+ into getting the bike running again.. so any method of fixing it without spending too much would be great, but  understandably, not likely lol.

Bike has just had a oil change.. Fresh fuel.. we want to seafoam it, but unsure how much to use and if it should just be dumped straight into the gas tank?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/22/12 at 11:41:48

Zeke342 wrote on 04/22/12 at 11:11:31:
However after the back setting for 5+ years the carb needed to be rebuilt and cleaned and I'm fairly certain we stuck stock jets in there that came with the rebuild kit (big mistake?)
yes, retrieve the old jets and put them in.

Quote:
Bike has just had a oil change.. Fresh fuel.. we want to seafoam it, but unsure how much to use and if it should just be dumped straight into the gas tank?

about 1 ounce per gallon

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/22/12 at 11:48:08

The old jets are kinda.. gone >.<..
How much does it cost to have a bike rejetted??

Also,
How many gallons is the savage tank??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/22/12 at 11:52:25

Zeke342 wrote on 04/22/12 at 11:48:08:
The old jets are kinda.. gone >.<..
How much does it cost to have a bike rejetted??

You do it,, almost free, let someone else do it, & its spendy,,& it may need done again,, just do it,,
If you dont learn to do the maintenance on it, its gonna cost more than owning it is worth,.
Get the tools, get a manual, hang out here, have fun, save Tons of Mu Neee,, & ride instead of wait on the shop to get to your low buck job instead of working on the high dollar bikes,,
& these things tend to get ruined in the shop, because they put the wormiest "mechanic" they have on them,

Quote:
Also,
How many gallons is the savage tank??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/22/12 at 11:53:05

what year is it?

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/22/12 at 12:07:07

Sorry, its 1997.

I'm just confused as to how the jets are causing the problem, the bike ran fine the day before sticking the baffle in it.  Without the baffle it was kinda jerky but not that bad (before that, it wasn't jerky at all) and with the baffle it's too jerky to even top 35mph >.< but now without the baffle its still too jerky..

Where can I get a tutorial/manual to rejet and what all do i need (tools etc..) to do it?  

Lets pretend I'm mechanically stupid lol.  I can remove the carb and take it apart.. but as far as tuning a carb.. not a clue in the world.

Edit: I know elevation has a lot to do the bike.. I live in Oklahoma.. my area is about 500 - 800 ft

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/22/12 at 12:17:56

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/22/12 at 12:21:59

stock for a 97 is a 145 main jet.

straight pipes are the hardest to jet and get right.

bot's carb turning is the best for those who are dangerous.   Grin

I suggest you start with a 155, get 1 smaller and 2 bigger.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More issues with the bike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.