Send Topic Print
Custom tank (Read 224 times)
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Custom tank
04/16/12 at 11:32:28

I'm putting together a list of things I'm going to buy for my project with the savage.

Those of you who have swapped to a "drop shaped" custom tank, how deep is your tunnel? I've got an option of deep tunnel or not so deep tunnel. Will get more specific info on it before I place my big order though.

And also, what have you done with the electrics under the tank?

IP Logged
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Custom tank
Reply #1 - 04/18/12 at 01:00:32

No one?

IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/18/12 at 05:51:37

The only part of the tunnel that is going to hit is in the front the it will rest on two rails in the back, it's not just going to tunnel up to your frame. Ya gotta do some mcgyverin'

IP Logged
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/19/12 at 02:13:35

Finney138 wrote on 04/18/12 at 05:51:37:
The only part of the tunnel that is going to hit is in the front the it will rest on two rails in the back, it's not just going to tunnel up to your frame. Ya gotta do some mcgyverin'

Well I wasn't expecting it to be a direct fit, all I wanted to know is if anyone who's put a custom tank on a savage would know if you need a deep tunnel or not and what to do with the electrics under the tank.

McGyverin' isn't a problem for me  Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 05:43:21

about all you can really do is take the measurements of the stock tanks tunnel and then compare that to the tanks you like and their tunnel shape.  That will give you some idea of how they will sit on the frame backbone.
In years gone by there have been a couple of guys who used an older model Suzuki tank that had a similar shape to ours but was larger (almost 4 gal. I believe) and did not have a hole where the speedo is on ours.  I remember seeing a photo of it mounted and it looked good.
I do not remember who or when but it was at least a few years back.
You could try searching for it in past posts and see what come up.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 04/19/12 at 08:11:23

I think it was a Kawi Vulcan 750 tank that fit (and had a gas gauge) but I don't remember who has done it. I seem to recall 2 people who have done it though.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #6 - 04/19/12 at 19:16:44

the way i was going to make a custom tank with out having to mess with the mounting points and tunnel was to cut off the bottom of a stock tank and use that as a base to build off.

you could always do that, then cut off the top of some other tank you like and weld the two together, then reseal the inside.

depending on the tank you chose it might not be much more work to cut a hole and make a mount for the stock speedo and wires, or just cut it out of the old tank and put it into the new one.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/19/12 at 19:16:58

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "deep" or "shallow" tunnel; how deep is deep?

But these guys are right, there's more to it than just that; there are the tank bumpers on the inside that hold the tank in place; those need to line up correctly, and they are different on all tanks. I'm not sure you'd really be able to know exactly what wil or won't work until you hold it up there on the frame.

For my roadster project, I found an old 1969 Suzuki tank to retro-fit. At first glance, it looked like it was going to slide on pretty easy, but in the end, my buddy Jay had to cut part of the backbone out of the frame and re-weld it to make room, and then he also had to cut off and re-position the tank bumpers underneath. Quite a pain-in-the-butt. That tank does leave room for the electronics though, including the de-comp solenoid, and that made me happy. If you're getting an older metal tank, you can also hammer in the sides to widen the tunnel if you need to, but even with the decomp stuff in there, there isn't a whole lot of stuff running up the middle of a Savage; it's pretty narrow...

What kind of tank are yo thinking about ordering?
Do you have pictures or specs you can post?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 04/19/12 at 22:06:35

I've got a 5 gallon Harley Nighttrain tank on mine. Had to cut the two pegs that hold the front of our stock tank completely off, move the starting assist solenoid and horn, drill through the triangle plates at the front of the frame for a bolt to pass through it and the two mounting pegs on the tank, relocate some wiring AND the back of the tank sits up higher on where the frame splits at the front of the seat. I'm sure there's some other stuff I did as well but it's been three or four years ago now and I'm too old to remember. It does get you to raise the front of the seat some which is good for comfort, but it also means you sit higher which raises your total center of gravity.

You can see the results here.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/19/12 at 23:49:03

This is the tank I'm going for. Still waiting for measurements from the seller. Thanks for the input everyone. Don't get me wrog, I very well understand that I will have some modifying to do. But since the whole bike is gonna be in pieces I guess I'll make the tank fit while I'm building. I'm looking for that clean old school look and I think this tank will sit just fine once adjusted and mounted!

How deep is deep? Good question, that's what I asked the seller. The description actually says "available with deep tunnel and with a not so deep tunnel"  Huh

All I was wondering was if anyone else had done a similar build, but it doesn't seem that way. Feels good to be one of few with a real old school savage when done!  Cool I'd like it to be a just barely recognizable savage for the untrained eye!

I'll rip out all the electrics on the bike and do my own wiring with everything unneccesary excluded, hopefully I'll be able to hide some under the new tank.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/20/12 at 14:56:35

That looks like a Voodoo Vintage tank; if it's not theirs, they have ones a LOT like that, and they are very familiar with the Savage, and could probably tell you what would work best on a stock frame.

Similar to what this guy's has; but that's a Voodoo Vintage frame, definitely NOT stock!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:42:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.