Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clip ons vs. drag vs. clubman handlebars (Read 1035 times)
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clip ons vs. drag vs. clubman handlebars
04/15/12 at 20:20:55

Just wondering what the general riding qualities and differences are between these bars. I have a 2003 Savage with the stock bars that ai am interested in replacing for something that would put me in a lower riding position.
Also if anyone has some links to any bar recommendations in black that would be great! Id like the bars to clear my gas tank so it doesnt get dented.

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Re: Clip ons vs. drag vs. clubman handlebars
Reply #1 - 04/15/12 at 21:54:03

I'm not familiar with the 2003 stock bars but from the sounds of it you didn't get drag bars stock like my 2007 did. From experience if you go drag bars you'll need to get risers 2"+ as well in order for them to clear the tank and rest naturally UNLESS you modify the stops on the tree but then you won't be able to use the handle lock. You could also look at drag bars that are wide and have little pull back on them ans that may alleviate the "clearing the tank problem." i have some bars coming in this week that match that description. Nice and wide 8) Clubman bars I'm almost positive will clear the tank no problem. You will only be able to get the clip-ons from the guys at ryca because no one else makes them for our diameter fork tubes and they aren't cheap.

All that said, remember the bike is pretty short already and your feet and hands aren't all that far apart as it is. I'm 5'8" and when I tried my drag bars way low I was folded in half pretty good but not to where it was all that uncomfortable. I don't know how tall YOU are but that may be something to consider as well. Honestly some forward control extensions help that problem too.

P.S. my bars are 25" drag bars with a 3" pull back and they hit the tank with 1" risers.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/15/12 at 23:17:08

Yup,.. I had to go nearly 3" risers to get the slight downward tilt on the drags I installed...
You can go 2" or less if you're okay with an uptilt on the ends, but that's uncomfortable on the wrists...
Broomstick might work,  but again, no tilt...

I might look into modding the steering locks a bit to get lower myself...
...low looks so cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/16/12 at 04:56:08

Looks are dandy,, but comfort & control are primary in my mind. I like the idea of risers & turning the bars down a bit, making the wrists happy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 04/16/12 at 05:58:05

I have been playing with 4 different bar configurations for about 3 years. Started with buckhorns turned up some, then went to the drag style bars to which I had to ad 3" riser so they would clear the tank. Then I was convinced I wanted clip ons (maybe still do) and started pricing them which convinced me I, in fact, did not want clip ons. Now I am happy with my clubman bars, they give me the feel and look of super low bars but at half the price of clip ons. Got my clubmans on ebay, cost about $70 shipped.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 04/16/12 at 06:24:51

I just picked up some garage door tension rod to make some broomsticks/straight bars out of. Did a test fit the other night and they are certainly more aggressive than the stock buckhorns I've got now.

Once a few hours of free time crops up, I'll toss them on for a few days and see how they feel. Better look up that post from a while back on DIY risers out of sockets. I can never justify paying what some places want for risers. Saw a pair for $150 just a few days ago. madness.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 04/16/12 at 06:26:19

oh, hey, another thought: Does anyone know if our controls use the handlebars as a ground connection?

On one of my other bikes, I tried powder coated handlebars which wouldn't work because the starter button used the normally chromed handlebars as a ground.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #7 - 04/16/12 at 08:43:01

Air-Tech is a good source for clubmans and clip-ons, I've bought fairings and seat material from them also. These bars are 28'' wide 5 deg. backsweep with adjustable stops (no fork lock courtesy of previous owner)

savage_005_001.JPG

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/16/12 at 08:53:53

Thanks for the help everyone. I am 5'8", live in Chicago and will unfortunately be doing mostly city (traffic) riding, with occasional ~30 mile highway rides. So that definitely has an impact on the types of bars I may want to put on. Here is a picture of my bike's current bars...I believe these are the stock bars.

IMAG0379.jpg
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/17/12 at 08:28:29

skeebo wrote on 04/16/12 at 08:43:01:
Air-Tech is a good source for clubmans and clip-ons, I've bought fairings and seat material from them also. These bars are 28'' wide 5 deg. backsweep with adjustable stops (no fork lock courtesy of previous owner)

What size bars will fit the Suzuki's? The Air-Tech site has a lot of options!

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #10 - 04/17/12 at 08:39:23

thomasoconnor19 wrote on 04/17/12 at 08:28:29:

Stock bars are 1'' dia.  Shoot them an email regarding 38mm/1'' clipons.

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/17/12 at 08:54:22

skeebo wrote on 04/17/12 at 08:39:23:

I think I'm going to pick up the CLUB3B - 1" Wide clubman handlebars. I tried some clip on's on a friends Kawasaki and felt like they would probably be a bit too low for my liking.

Where can I get the proper spacer required so that these bars clear my tank?

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #12 - 04/17/12 at 09:04:10

thomasoconnor19 wrote on 04/17/12 at 08:54:22:
skeebo wrote on 04/17/12 at 08:39:23:

I think I'm going to pick up the CLUB3B - 1" Wide clubman handlebars. I tried some clip on's on a friends Kawasaki and felt like they would probably be a bit too low for my liking.

Dude those are Hot!...Can't tell what you will need yet..spacer wise.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/17/12 at 09:11:40

Spacers can be made from anything, 3/4"deep 3/8"drive sockets work well, just replace the bolts in you clamps with 3/8" bolts to the length required and self locking nuts.  get the high strength bolts, not the common fence post bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #14 - 04/17/12 at 09:17:19

verslagen1 wrote on 04/17/12 at 09:11:40:

Spacers can be made from anything, 3/4"deep 3/8"drive sockets work well, just replace the bolts in you clamps with 3/8" bolts to the length required and self locking nuts.  get the high strength bolts, not the common fence post bolts.

High strength bolts?....They're only handlebars... Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clip ons vs. drag vs. clubman handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.