Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing Vacuum Tube/Port to Petcock (Read 88 times)
savagedan
Ex Member

Missing Vacuum Tube/Port to Petcock
04/13/12 at 22:42:10

Hello Everyone,

I bought my Savage yesterday (April 12) and today spent time buying pieces, tools and putting them on.

I bought these things:
Raptor Petcock
Paper Fuel Filter (10 micrometer)
Oil
Oil filter
Washer for drain plug

I removed my gas tank and took it into a radiator shop to remove the rust. They should have it back to me by Tuesday of next week. (Crossing my fingers for Monday  Roll Eyes

There are 2 issues I'm encountering and the first one is the more priority at this time than the second.

1. The vacuum tube which should attach to the petcock is not visible — at least to my eye. I don't know where it is and spoke to a local mechanic who said if I don't seal it up, I could trash the engine.

Where exactly is it? It isn't in the same spot as I saw in the videos on this link — http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285 — but I am willing to look at those again.

2. Secondly, I ran the bike for about 7-10 minutes the day I bought it (yesterday). Then today I saw that the gas tank had a bit of rust along the bottom of it. The rust isn't terrible as it isn't all the way up the tank and definitely hasn't eaten through the tank walls.

But do I now need to clean out my carbs? I've never done this, do you have any links I can go to where I can learn how to clean them. I read something about fishing line — I have some — but it doesn't look like too bad of a process  Smiley

_________

Is there anything else I need to know about fixing up my bike?
It was sitting with the same tank of gas since approximately 2002. The guy periodically started it up but that's it.

OH! The air box had a nice puddle of brown mucky crud which I wiped up with a shop rag. The air filter looked clean and dry — probably stock OEM piece. Do I need to have any concerns with regards to this?

I am definitely into DIY and would prefer to keep mechanics off my bike. I immediately fell in love with this machine and hope to put a RYCA kit on it in the future.  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Missing Vacuum Tube/Port to Petcock
Reply #1 - 04/13/12 at 22:54:02

See here... Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429
... that rubber nipple is the vacuum port... it must be blocked off to use a Raptor...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/13/12 at 23:02:58

crud in the bottom of the air box... no worries, just old oil.
at the bottom of your bike hangs a tet, pull off the cap every oil change and drain it or it becomes crud.

and you might consider dropping the carb bowl and see if there's any rust in it and just clean it out.

WWW   IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/12 at 12:08:01

Thanks Serowbot. I will look for it today!

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/12 at 23:02:58:
crud in the bottom of the air box... no worries, just old oil.
at the bottom of your bike hangs a tet, pull off the cap every oil change and drain it or it becomes crud.

and you might consider dropping the carb bowl and see if there's any rust in it and just clean it out.

OK Verslagen1. The tet is the plug on the end of the tubing hanging off of the bottom of my bike right?

To drop the carb bowl, do I need to remove my entire carb? Or can I just unscrew a few bits and check it out

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/14/12 at 12:29:09

SavageDan wrote on 04/14/12 at 12:08:01:
OK Verslagen1. The tet is the plug on the end of the tubing hanging off of the bottom of my bike right?

Yes, surprisingly, can't find a pic, it's right in front of the rear tire.

Quote:
To drop the carb bowl, do I need to remove my entire carb? Or can I just unscrew a few bits and check it out

No, don't need to remove the carb if you don't want to.  But you may need to pry the battery box back to clear the bowl.  and if you want to remove the carb, easier to remove the bat box.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/14/12 at 15:48:45

I found the carb bowl screws very tight. Main thing, don't let the screw driver slip !! Once it slips you will have a hard time getting them out. Whatever it takes, get mechanical upward pressure on the driver before trying to loosen. I used the philips bit out of my stubby screwdriver, and a block of wood, then once I had lots a upward pressure on the philips bit, I then turned it w/ a fitzall wrench. Not a problem.
Some guys here replace the fillip screws w/ allen head. But if you don't mess'm up no real reason to.

Good to get the bowl clean and a fuel filter on the bike,.....save lots a carb problems later.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/12 at 18:03:28

GREAT! So I found the vacuum tube (it was half the size it should be) and cut it off. I put on the vacuum plug I bought and just for safe measure, put a clamp on it.

Thanks for the feedback verslagen1. I will inspect and clean out the tet and check out the carb bowl. Could probably use a good cleaning  Grin

Routy wrote on 04/14/12 at 15:48:45:
I found the carb bowl screws very tight. Main thing, don't let the screw driver slip !! Once it slips you will have a hard time getting them out. Whatever it takes, get mechanical upward pressure on the driver before trying to loosen. I used the philips bit out of my stubby screwdriver, and a block of wood, then once I had lots a upward pressure on the philips bit, I then turned it w/ a fitzall wrench. Not a problem.
Some guys here replace the fillip screws w/ allen head. But if you don't mess'm up no real reason to.

Good to get the bowl clean and a fuel filter on the bike,.....save lots a carb problems later.

Alright Routy, I appreciate the tip. I will find something to exert a lot of pressure.  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/14/12 at 19:13:47

In the event that you can't get'm loose, grip the head with a pair of vise grips and givem a twist, that'll pop'm loose.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/15/12 at 09:10:08

I know these things are Old School Design,, but tubes? Theres still vaccum tubes on them? I really woulda thot theyd have gone transistor all over.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:39:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing Vacuum Tube/Port to Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.