Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New 2003 Savage owner! Gas lock/custom tank ?'s (Read 98 times)
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New 2003 Savage owner! Gas lock/custom tank ?'s
04/12/12 at 12:00:27

Just wanted to introduce myself as an excited new owner of a 2003 Savage. This is my first bike, and I got it for a great deal (I think). It has 6,000 miles and I picked it up for $1,500. It’s in great running shape, only problems were a broken mirror and bent foot peg from a minor fall by the previous owner. He did give me the replacement parts though.

Also another problem is that the gas tank lock will not turn. I can get the key in it, but that’s it. I've tried spraying lithium grease, PB Blaster and key graphite into the hole and gave it some taps with a rubber mallet, but no luck.

I plan to do a cafe or bobber build sometime which may involve a new tank. Instead of spending the money to fix my tank lock, I may just look into getting a new tank immediately.  What are some other tanks that people put on these bikes? All I know of is the CS-1 chopped tank, which is way out of my budget. I’d like to chop the tank myself in the future as I learn more metal fab skills.

download.jpg
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: New 2003 Savage owner! Gas lock/custom tank ?'
Reply #1 - 04/12/12 at 16:27:40

Nice, clean looking bike! And for that price, seems like a steal!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/12/12 at 16:35:59

Congrats!... nice deal...
Put firm  down pressure on the cap with one hand, while attempting to turn the key with the other, (don't break the key!)  If you can't get it,.. take it to a key shop.
Those guys can do magic... They'll usually get it off with ease, and will know if it just needs lube or a new key, or whatever...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/12/12 at 17:05:19

Yeah, Find a good Locksmith!
Swapping on a different tank can be cool, but it's not as easy as 1-2-3. The mounting points and width of the space inside the tank need to fit, and it also needs to fit up against the seat; then there's the fact that your stock tank has the speedo and idiot lights built into it; that's alot of wiring and re-routing and tom-foolery.

If this is your first bike, you should really just ride it, get used to it, get to know her, learn what you like and don't like about it, and then you can think about cafe/ chopper/ bobber projects. Those projects all look cool on the internets, but are often time consuming, money consuming, and frustrating. Just go onto Craig's list and look at all of the un-finished/abandoned project bikes for sale. Some projects can be fun, but riding your bike is bound to be a whole lot more fun!  Grin

Cheers! And welcome to the crowd...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/12/12 at 17:55:20

google lock picking, the gas cap is pretty easy.

WWW   IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/15/12 at 18:47:36

Ill call around for a locksmith, or Ill just drill it out and buy a new cap if its not too expensive.

I will just keep the stock tank for now....I didnt expect there to be many options for custom tanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 2003 Savage owner! Gas lock/custom tank ?'s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.