Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
locomotiveman's next tweak (Read 262 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
locomotiveman's next tweak
04/12/12 at 09:05:52

Quote:
Hi all. I wanna do this right, so....My 2001 FactoryStock LS650 Carb. has now been tweeked for LowSpeed Mixture. I also installed an In-line FuelFilter and added Deltran BatteryMaintainer. What 'N0-brainer' would you Moss-back Thumper riders suggest I do next to make my new ride even better?? It's got a windsheild,bags, Deluxe seat and ForkBag now. Thanks in advance for ideas.    Locomotiveman

I am very sorry about this.. was trying to splice locomotiveman's threads together, and somehow got it thrown into an area we are forbidden to access.

To restart, good mods to start off with are :

white spacer (needle)
fork brace
cam chain tensioner
manual petcock

Sorry for the lost posts.  If I forgot mods that were mentioned, please repost them.

Also, one thread per question is good enough.. no need to cross-post.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: locomotiveman's next tweak
Reply #1 - 04/12/12 at 09:17:58

Well,... my butt still says to do the 2" front seat lift mod,... and I can't argue...

Makes a much bigger difference than you would imagine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #2 - 04/12/12 at 09:25:21

Boule'tard,
OK then...as suspected, a fork brace/stabilizer and a Cam Chain Tensioner for my next 'tweeks'. Followed by Carb 'white plastic spacer' Mod.
Today...Front of seat spacers. It's a darn fun bike to ride so far.
Thanks.   Locomotiveman

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 04/12/12 at 09:28:11

Oh yeah.. I concur.. picking up the front of the seat an inch or so is also darn near free, and can be done while waiting for other parts.

Welcome, locomotiveman !

(it is groundhog day  Grin)

I'm gonna log out now and quit trying to manage the forum through flaky-ass dialup..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/12/12 at 09:55:27

The white spacer mod is almost free too and can be done immediately, if desired.

I also recommend a freer-flowing muffler accompanied by the carb rejet/retune needed to match the increase in airflow.

Even without going to any lengths like installing an HID rig, you can seriously improve your headlight's effectiveness by swapping out the stock bulb for a xenon equivalent.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #5 - 04/12/12 at 10:12:50

Do you have the model number for the xenon bulb?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/12/12 at 10:33:11

greenmonster wrote on 04/12/12 at 10:12:50:
Do you have the model number for the xenon bulb?

You need to get an H4 type.  Here's one I just found advertized on eBay (http://compare.ebay.com/like/170820321366?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&...) but there are others and you may prefer to go with a brand name that you like better.  You can usually find these at any auto parts store (though some sell them in pairs) and usually at Walmart too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/12/12 at 13:04:30

Well!!!,, I had a Good one,, but Im not repostin it now,, cuz Im Maaayud!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #8 - 04/12/12 at 13:22:10

Serowbot and Boule'tard,
Hey!! The 'SeatMod' sits Nice!! Thanks. The LowSpeed Mixture Mod truly improved running...mine was 1/2 a turn from IN, Now it's about 4 turns.

An uncanny analogy. Locomotives wanted to Die upon fast 'Idle-down'. Solution: Carry a 5 1/2" wooden broomhandle/dowel. Set dowel in FuelPump linkage to prevent 'Overcentered/Lean' fuel linkage. Presto. ...But don't forget to take YOUR dowel out before Crew-change.

Next. Headlight bulb.
Thanks again.  Locomotiveman

IMG_3797_003.JPG
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 04/12/12 at 14:13:42

locomotiveman wrote on 04/12/12 at 13:22:10:
Serowbot and Boule'tard,
Hey!! The 'SeatMod' sits Nice!! Thanks. The LowSpeed Mixture Mod truly improved running...mine was 1/2 a turn from IN, Now it's about 4 turns.

An uncanny analogy. Locomotives wanted to Die upon fast 'Idle-down'. Solution: Carry a 5 1/2" wooden broomhandle/dowel. Set dowel in FuelPump linkage to prevent 'Overcentered/Lean' fuel linkage. Presto. ...But don't forget to take YOUR dowel out before Crew-change.

Next. Headlight bulb.
Thanks again.  Locomotiveman

If you've got your pilot circuit screw out 4 turns, it's barely holding on and you should really rejet the pilot circuit to the next step up before that screw vibrates out...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 04/12/12 at 15:12:47

EJID wrote on 04/12/12 at 14:13:42:
If you've got your pilot circuit screw out 4 turns, it's barely holding on and you should really rejet the pilot circuit to the next step up before that screw vibrates out...

True. And the effect of the fuel screw should taper off after about 3 turns.. might as well see if it will run as well with it at 3 turns and not risk it coming out of there. If there is an appreciable difference in going from 3 to 4 turns, go up one size on the pilot jet as EJID says... then start again at 1.5 turns.

IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #11 - 04/12/12 at 17:36:47

Boule'tard,
OK.  Thanks.  3 turns...not 4 on the Mixture Screw.  And maybe a dab of silicone sealant next to the screw to keep it 'secure'??
Locomotiveman

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 04/12/12 at 17:59:24

Yep. EJID called it first.  A little dab of silicone shouldn't hurt anything, though I'd stop short of using threadlock (even the green or blue stuff) because the slot in the screw isn't that deep, and people have ruined their whole carb trying to drill out a stuck screw.

Whether you leave it at 3 turns or go with a larger pilot jet, you'd know if you overdid it by the engine not ever needing choke to start, and the idle would not hold steady when the engine is hot.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #13 - 04/12/12 at 18:41:48

Boule’tard wrote on 04/12/12 at 17:59:24:
Yep. EJID called it first.  A little dab of silicone shouldn't hurt anything, though I'd stop short of using threadlock (even the green or blue stuff) because the slot in the screw isn't that deep, and people have ruined their whole carb trying to drill out a stuck screw.

yup, that'd be me  :'(

oh well, gave me a reason to upgrade to a high performance carb  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/13/12 at 08:54:31

Oh yeah, the speedo rattle fix is cheap and easy and gets rid of an annoyance.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:05:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › locomotiveman's next tweak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.