Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Reupholster or different handle bars (Read 516 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Reupholster or different handle bars
Reply #30 - 04/27/12 at 10:06:21

Ohh!... Ignore my post above...  I think the bottom clamp does come off from the riser...
So,.. you can just use that without the riser... (my bad)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #31 - 04/27/12 at 10:06:34

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #32 - 04/27/12 at 10:16:59

Yes the riser comes apart at that line you have circled.

I recently changed my stock bars that looked exactly like yours to mini-apes and reused that potion of the riser as shown in the pic below...

You will have to get a new bolt to go through that portion of the riser and the triple trees, but otherwise they work great.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 04/27/12 at 11:00:44

EJID, where did you get the bolt from?  Does it  "simply" go through the bottom of the riser, or did you have to drill?

Good to know that all of the above worksSmiley.  Hopefully I can get the bars soon. I assuming that you didn't have to buy any extenders...is that correct?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 04/27/12 at 11:58:55

Take it apart not much to it.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #35 - 04/27/12 at 12:56:13

John wrote on 04/27/12 at 11:00:44:
EJID, where did you get the bolt from?  Does it  "simply" go through the bottom of the riser, or did you have to drill?

Good to know that all of the above worksSmiley.  Hopefully I can get the bars soon. I assuming that you didn't have to buy any extenders...is that correct?

Like Vers said, it comes apart very easily. (Remove bars and you will see the bolt that has to come out) I picked up a bolt that would work from either ACE or Lowes, I don't remember. My bars are much taller and wider than before, and I had to extend wiring, and swap cables & brake hose. From what it sounds like you want to do, I would be surprised if you have to go to that extent.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/27/12 at 13:36:01

EJID, I'm assuming that you had to swap out bolts for a shorter one...is that correct?  

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #37 - 04/27/12 at 15:25:53

Longer. Take it apart and take the pieces to a hardware store and get new bolts. Don't forget to get lock nuts for them as well. You don't want the nuts vibrating loose and the handlebars coming off. The stock bolts actually have holes in them to safety wire them. Not needed with lock nuts and locktite. You will need 10 mm Allen head bolts 75mm long.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/10/12 at 10:31:26

EJID, I got them today via ups...and Ironically, I don't think they'll have enough rise or height for me.  I'm looking at what you have...it looks like these....http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-939...is that close or something else?  Right now, I have these ...http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-210

Thanks.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #39 - 05/10/12 at 12:51:30

John wrote on 05/10/12 at 10:31:26:
EJID, I got them today via ups...and Ironically, I don't think they'll have enough rise or height for me.  I'm looking at what you have...it looks like these.... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-939 ...is that close or something else?  Right now, I have these ... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-210

Thanks.

John,

I think you are right... these ones http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-939 are much closer to the ones that I have. Someone else on the board listed those XLX bars as another great option that worked for him.
Mine were used HD takeoffs that I got from eBay. Seller stated they were the stock bars off a Dyna Wide Glide (FXDWG). I haven't ever measured the height of the bars, but I do know that the total width is right about 33" if I had to guess, I would say they are either 10" or 12" rise (I can measure later today if you really want to know)

Another option might be to use those XLX bars on top of the current pull-back risers  Huh Might just work for you, or even turn around the risers so they go more up and forward with those bars...lots of options available  Grin keep us in the loop as to what you decide to do.  Cool

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 05/10/12 at 12:53:59

John wrote on 05/10/12 at 10:31:26:
EJID, I got them today via ups...and Ironically, I don't think they'll have enough rise or height for me.  I'm looking at what you have...it looks like these....http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-939...is that close or something else?  Right now, I have these ...http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-210

Thanks.

Those are the same bars that I have. I used 2 inch risers which allowed me to keep the stock cables. If you want more height, just reverse the stock risers.

BTW, I love the control and comfort theses bars afford me.

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/10/12 at 13:27:19

Super, not to ask a redundant questions...but by reversing them...you mean to literally take them apart and flip?  Will I have to get any new cables if i take off the current bars, leave the current risers as they are, and put new one's on?  The new bars have a 5" rise from what i can tell.

thanks!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #42 - 05/10/12 at 15:10:55

John wrote on 05/10/12 at 13:27:19:
Super, not to ask a redundant questions...but by reversing them...you mean to literally take them apart and flip?  Will I have to get any new cables if i take off the current bars, leave the current risers as they are, and put new one's on?  The new bars have a 5" rise from what i can tell.

thanks!

All you have to do is take the top clamps off & pull out the bar. Take the 2 bottom nuts off the current risers. Pull the risers out of the triple tree and flip them around then reassemble. The stock drag bar should work that way no problem, and those XLX bars might too, if you switch to other bars though you will probably have to change cables/hose/wiring.

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 05/12/12 at 11:26:40

Okay, did the swap today. Had to rerun some of the cables to make them fit. I'll have to get a new front brake line, as this one is a foot short. There's a shot in memphis that will make me a new one with braided steel for less then $70...I assume that a good deal (ft long). Even though I can ride it (no front brake line), I sat on it and can already tell a HUGE difference in comfort. I can already tell that whenever I obtain some more money, getting some fc's will be massive to this bike.

Attached is a pic of the new bars. I've got the brake on it, but obviously not in the right location. Getting the grips and such wasn't the hard part...it was getting the lines right and making sure they'd reach when fully left and right.

2012-05-12_13_10_18.jpg
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/16/12 at 14:51:59

Thanks again to all. Got the new brake line installed last night, bled the line, took it for a test drive. What a difference...it even changed the seat comfort, which I didn't expect. Now to get some fc's and more toys!

Rock on!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reupholster or different handle bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.