Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Reupholster or different handle bars (Read 516 times)
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Reupholster or different handle bars
Reply #15 - 04/20/12 at 13:43:36

Okay. Got most of that. One question: how does the right grip for acceleration...connect to whatever "magic" makes the bike accelerate?

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/20/12 at 13:45:29

Okay...one question. For the grip...how to do you connect it to whatever makes the bike accelerate? Not to be stupid\ignorant...but at what point does "sliding the grip on" over the bar connect it to the engine\tranny?

Thank you, btw. That was huge for me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 04/20/12 at 13:48:21

John wrote on 04/20/12 at 13:43:36:
Okay. Got most of that. One question: how does the right grip for acceleration...connect to whatever "magic" makes the bike accelerate?  

Grip covers a hard plastic tube that rotates... the business end hooks to the cable inside the control housing...
You twist, throttle opens, bike go vroom... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 04/20/12 at 17:34:31

Serowbot wrote on 04/20/12 at 13:39:26:
Alrighty,.. I'll probably forget a step, but here's a try...

1. Cover the tank with a plush towel...

2. Cover the tank with a plush towel... (can't be emphasized too much)...

3. get some rubbing alcohol under the grips, then twist and wiggle (the grips) take 'em off. You need to set the depth of the the throttle mounting anyway...

4. loosen the screws for the controls about 1/8" out, to release the alignment pins, and wiggle them off...

5. thank me for telling you to cover the tank now that you fumbled on dropped them on it...

6.  carefully hook them somewhere out of the way...

7. pop the plastic chrome covers and pull the bolts out of the bar clamps (hold the bars while you do this0

8.remove bars.

9. put new bars in place.

10. nut'em to the risers but don't tighten (need to wiggle to get controls on)...

11. get controls in place.

12. sit on bike and hold bars where you want them... tighten bars down. and mark the bar where you need to drill for the alignment pins... then remove controls again.

12. drill

13. put 'em back on again, and tighten.

14. lube up the grips with more alcohol and slide them on. put end caps on.

15. adjust mirrors.

16. check everything for tight.

17. remove towel.

18. thank me again for making you cover the tank.

19 ride.

Wink...

Towel didn't cut it for me. I suggest a fender guard from an automotive supply, or heavy corrugated cardboard, and if you don't want to drill for the pins, check the switch housings on the end of the bar, so the pin is just past the end, to see if it will stay tight without the pin. If it does, grind the pins off. I found it handy to rotate the assembly with the signal button down a bit to make it easier for my arthritic thumb to reach.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/26/12 at 13:56:10

All, for the handlebars I referred earlier, http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-210?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=..., will i need to buy any cable extenders or anything?  My entire bike is stock. From the "base" of the triple tree to where the handlebars currently attach seems to be around 6 inches, maybe more. Will the stock risers be tall enough, or do i need to buy some sockets, as has been referred to in other posts? I'd hate to put these on and either run out of cable or hit my tank.

Thanks!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 04/26/12 at 14:12:01

Stock risers will be too tall, and your cables will definitely be too short. you will need some 2" risers to give you about the same rise as stock.
You can also take the stock risers apart and wind up with aprox. one inch risers.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/26/12 at 14:14:28

Art teacher, if I remove the stock, will I be okay  to go with just the bars at that point?  Or will i still need additional risers?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 04/26/12 at 16:17:32

Cables are cheap. Motion Pro should have what you need, first generation VZ800 Marauder used the same perches, levers and controls as our Savages. If you go wild (like 10" or higher rise) you will need a VN750/800A clutch cable with a +4 or +6 length.

Mount up the bars and see how they feel. You may need to shorten or even raise the risers a bit.

Stock cables will work with up to an 8" total rise IF your bike shipped with buckhorns.

Truth be told, Motion Pro cables are cut rate crap (soldered ends pop off), so if you can swing it, get ahold of Lancer, give him the total rise you will be running and he'll get you Barnett cables. And brake hose, don't forget the brake hose.

Quickest comfort fix on a Savage? A set of VS800/S50 rear shocks. Raises the rear of the bike and sets your weight forward where it belongs. If you run the stock rear fender ( I do not) the gap will look kind of goofy.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/26/12 at 18:23:46

WD\All, I don't know if this helps or not, but I figured I'd take pictures of what I'm talking about, just in case it helps. I need some handle bars that bring my arms\hands about 2 to 3 inches closer, a few inches wider, and a couple of inches lower.

Thoughts?  Based on what I have now, would I still need the cables and such?

Thanks to all.

2012-04-26_19_39_15.jpg
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 04/27/12 at 07:33:37

The set up you have now has about 5 1/2 " rise, with no rise on the bars. If you take the risers apart and just use the top, you get rid of 4.8" of rise. Add the 5" of rise that those bars you are looking at have and you are about the same. The stock bars have about 4 1/2" of pull-back. The new ones have 7". This means that the new bars will be about 2" closer, after you get rid of the 1 1/2" pull-back of the stock risers.
Bottom line: with the new bars and the top of the old risers your hands will be close to the same height, about 2" closer to you, and 3" further apart. You shouldn't have any problem with the cables. You can turn the bars down a bit to get them 2" lower, as long as they don't hit the tank, and I don't think they will.
EDIT-just re-read your first post. You already have the drag bars, not the buck horns. this may have confused some of the earlier posters.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 04/27/12 at 08:29:40

You can't just take the riser out (you need the bottom half of the bar clamp)...
You need a stock or aftermarket low rise clamp... or,.. you can cut yours above the bend and drill them for a bolt...
Even using socket spacers, you'll need that bottom clamp piece...
Try E-bay... any 1" will work...

PS... Wider and higher makes some sense,.. but I wouldn't bring them closer to you...
You'll find with some riding time, that a bit of forward lean is good...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/27/12 at 09:16:10

Art, question: is what I have on my back now what the bike "comes with" (aka from the dealer\factory), or did a prior owner put them on?  I bought this from a guy who originally who originally bought it from another guy and just curious as to if what I have on it is mostly stock or not.

Thanks!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #27 - 04/27/12 at 09:27:30

John wrote on 04/27/12 at 09:16:10:
Art, question: is what I have on my back now what the bike "comes with" (aka from the dealer\factory), or did a prior owner put them on?  I bought this from a guy who originally who originally bought it from another guy and just curious as to if what I have on it is mostly stock or not.

Thanks!

Those look like the stock drag bars with stock pull back risers (same setup that came on my 05 and all the newer bikes as well)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/27/12 at 09:29:09

Question to all: in the picture I've uploaded, I put a circle around a part with a line on the riser. Does the riser come apart here?  Arteacher mentioned new bars with the tops of the old risers...is that what he is talking about, or something else?  I think i'm having a day where I just may need it spelled out for me Sad.

The height is actually okay, maybe a bit lower. The closeness and farther apart is what I'm looking for. It sounds like arteacher is on the right track. Since I believe that I won't be able to simply "take off, then put on" and need to change the riser as well, is it a matter of "pulling apart" the riser, or do I need to get something different?

Trying to keep cost down as much as possible. If the riser won't simply "come apart" and anyone has a recommendation on a good riser height and that is compatible with the 07 s40, I'm all ears!!! Smiley

Thanks all!

2012-04-26_19_39_15circle.jpg
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/27/12 at 09:31:42

All, I have to apologize for the confusion on the handlebar types. Me being a newb, to me the handlebars looked like "buckhorns" or what I think of when I think of a steers horns (inverted in my head). If anyone knows a good website that explains the differences...I'm all eyes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:20:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reupholster or different handle bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.