Send Topic Print
helmet question (Read 330 times)
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
helmet question
03/24/12 at 18:34:58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My step son has been ragging me about me wearing a 1/2 helmet. He's a full face kinda guy. This is also the guy who rags me 'cause I wear a yellow vest. (GO figure) This week a guy in town got rear ended and his head was run over buy the drunk driver that left the scene. Tampa Bay Rays baseball pitcher here for spring traning. He is in jail and the biker is in the hospital pretty roughed up but alive and talking because his grandaughter refused to talk to him unless he rode with a full face helmet. SO....I'm gonna pull the trigger and get one. To keep this from becoming an OIL thread or a TIRE thread. Just tell me about your experiance with either the Bell Revolver EVO or the Nolan N90. Only $10.00 price differance. Noland on sale for $215.00. I'm not too concerned about noise 'cause I ride behind a windshield. Living in Florida I need a airflow. I will get a white one. I don't own a Harley so black is not required. That's what I told them at the Harley dealer when they had nothing in white.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: helmet question
Reply #1 - 03/24/12 at 18:41:15

Sorry, no specifics... pick the one that feels most comfy... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #2 - 03/24/12 at 18:47:29

That's the problem. No place to stick my head in either.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/24/12 at 19:15:19

I'd say, how it fits your particular coconut is the number one criteria...

Make your way to someplace with a selection, and find the best fit... Then order that model and size online if you can find it cheaper there...

Different heads like different brands... especially with FF helmets...

Best luck... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 03/24/12 at 20:33:16

I had a Nolan  and loved it  but the insides wore out after a few decades of use !

It was "Roommy" in side , (lots of chin room) .   I believe the modle was #42.

Go try some of them on ... be a good excuse for a drive .   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 03/24/12 at 23:08:50

Not sure how they stack up to the solid full face helmets if a car runs over your head, but my Z1R full face with the flip up chin guard is comfy, moderately light and easy to get on and off except for my glasses sometimes. Just pull the bottom sides out a tich and it slides right on. Fits snug but not squeezy. Is that even a word? You can flip the chin up for air flow and still have a 3/4 helmet. The visor flips up a couple of different notches so you can get defogged or get some real air flow. If you want it down in a hurry you can bob/snap your head/chin down and it'll drop down and latch in place. It's got those little vents on the chin and top but they do NOTHING!!!

As to color choices - I was getting ready to ride my Sav to Miami from MN at the end of July and decided my too roomy $30.00 Bell 3/4 wasn't going to make me feel safe and secure. Since I grew up in Miami I know how they drive. I had to take what they had off the shelf that fit me and it was Henry Ford's favorite color. I did the trip to Miami that year and one to Chapel Hill, NC the next, both mid-summer (temps in the 90's and you know the humidity down there) and was never uncomfortable in it.

The lining comes out for washing and there's enough room around the ears you can do the flat helmet speakers if you so choose. I keep wanting to get them but haven't as yet.

And the best part is that even off the shelf at the worlds worst Suzuki store (he's now in court for selling and not turning in extended warranties) it was well under $200.00, but that was over four years ago. It's held up very well so far.

Try it, you'll like it.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/24/12 at 23:14:06

I use a flip face type, lets me ride in cvold weather & not fog up. I also bashed the cab corner of a small pickup in, fgace first, & suffered only a split lip & a SORE swallowin muscle for about 2 weeks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/25/12 at 09:17:08

Serowbot wrote on 03/24/12 at 19:15:19:
I'd say, how it fits your particular coconut is the number one criteria...

Make your way to someplace with a selection, and find the best fit... Then order that model and size online if you can find it cheaper there...

Different heads like different brands... especially with FF helmets...

Best luck... Wink...

I totally agree! No matter what style of helmet you choose (1/2, 3/4, or full) go try them on to see what fits YOUR head the best.  There is a difference on how helmets (of same size and style) fit each individuals head.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #8 - 03/25/12 at 14:10:01

You can also get a great education, and tons of reviews, at www.webbikeworld.com. They go into head shape/helmet shape in a very clear manner, and reviews indicate the head shape a given helmet favors.

FWIW, half helmets are notorious neck-snappers (the lower lip tends to snag things), and chin bars - preferably fixed - are known face savers, since a large percentage of accident contact happens in that area.  

As far as fogging goes, with the breath guard removed (easy, just pull it out) and the face shield cracked open to the first stop, I have no fogging issues with my FF helmet. (Makes me wonder what "breath guards" are supposed to accomplish).

Oh - and I ALWAYS wear earplugs; webbikeworld covers that subject thoroughly, too. Believe me, the difference in racket when I forget is stunning, and no, they don't obscure sounds you need to hear. Give 'em a fair trial and I expect you'll be convinced.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #9 - 03/25/12 at 15:06:01

I'd roll a full-face in a heartbeat if I could find a DOT helmet lke this one:

I'm not going for aerodynamic, and I like the feel of the wind in my face, at least a little, and outside of a couple of non-DOT helmets I think most FF I've tried out are uncomfortable and ugly as hell...

C'est la Vie.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 03/25/12 at 23:17:22

Ditto on the earplugs.  Never ride without them now, even in the city.  I need to preserve my ears.  I make up by looking around more.

I'd say face shields get fogged up easier in the winter, but I usually crack it open a bit.  In the summer, not much of a problem.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #11 - 03/26/12 at 06:34:35

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/demon_modular_motorcycle_helmet/web1001060

This is my helmet which just kept me alive through a serious wreck so I highly reccomend it.  It's only $70, its a modular flip up, has good ventilation.  Bang for the buck it's hard to beat imho.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/26/12 at 08:21:22

My last helmet was like the oldschool red one in above photo.

The new helmet I bought yesterday - Z1R ACE TRANSIT ROYAL AIR HELMET
…except with overhead visor removed and has the dark smoke face shield:

I tried on several full style and modular helmets and just couldn't find one that I liked, or felt very comfortable.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/26/12 at 09:55:05

I woulda either been dead of seriously messed up.. I slammed face first into the back of the drivers cab corner, face first, man,, straight in,, I was already knocked out from hitting the side of the truck, so I couldnt do anything about it, If I hadnt had that chin protecting lower half, I woulda broke my face. At best, I would have shattered my jaw & crushed the sinuses & lost my teeth,, as is, I got 2 stitches in my lip.....I can live with that. It does take some getting used to, having a helmet that so completely cocoons the noggin, & makers have different shapes, one manufacturers helmet would make me crazy, but fit another guys head,,do some shopping around, it may take a while, mine isnt an expensive one,, right around $100.00, I cant remember who built it, but its a modular, so I can open it & talk to someone, or get some fresh air at a light,, & I bought another one just like the one  I crashed in,, they proved its a good helmet to me.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #14 - 03/26/12 at 10:39:50

Part of my decision to get one was I was thinking about what it would feel like going thru my windshield just before I hit somthing.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:17:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.