starting trouble (Read 142 times)
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

starting trouble
03/22/12 at 22:32:54

Hi,
I recently became the third owner of a 2002. After the winter, I rode it about a week back and forth to work. Today I parked it outside my workplace and it was in the sun for about 8 hours. After work, I went to start it and it would not turn. The neutral light was bright at first, but then slowly dimmed and even the headlight went off. "Ha," I thought, "I must have left the key on the lights setting absentmindedly and the battery must have run out."

Now I do have a battery tender. I assumed this could be used to not just top up the battery, but alo charge it.  I went home, got the tender, plugged it in and the light on the tender turned to green (fully charged) very quickly. But the bike still won't turn. The lights turn on when I turn the key, but when I hit the ignition, it gives one loud click and then fades away.

Am I thinking wrong in assuming a battery tender can recharge a dead battery. If I am right, what else could be wrong with this ignition?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I did search the forum but was not able to find the right answer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: starting trouble
Reply #1 - 03/22/12 at 22:36:40

Id take the battery out & to an auto parts house or walmart,, somehwre where they can test & charge it. This is not a place to be guessing, you need to know you have a good battery before you can troubleshoot a no start on these things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/23/12 at 06:09:57

Cool! That is what I will do.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/23/12 at 07:03:18

I would suspect the battery is full charged, that is why the tender says it is.
But the starter has a bad connection somewhere to the battery,.....making it appear to be near dead.

And to answer the question, yes, even the tender jr will charge a motorcycle battery,....as long as it is not stone dead.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/23/12 at 07:52:14

YOu know,, Routy has a good point,, that ground on the engine is a known Booger point. I just tend to jum on a battery problem, cuz its soo blasted common,

I had a cheapo battery tender charging a low battery & I found it to be getting into a temp range I wasnt comfortable with, so I put the charger on, instead. Not sayin it wont do it, I was just afraid I was gonna cook it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/23/12 at 08:35:58

Could you expand on the "ground on the engine" part?

Thanks.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 03/23/12 at 08:59:58

sunbomb wrote on 03/23/12 at 08:35:58:
Could you expand on the "ground on the engine" part?

Thanks.

Here is where the negative battery cable should be attached to the "ground on the engine"

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/23/12 at 10:00:34

Excellent! I will look this up too.

Thanks.

IP Logged
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/30/12 at 11:03:04

Yep, it was the battery. Replaced with a new one (which was on sale at the local shop.)

Thanks all!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/30/12 at 11:15:38

Then what was the lite on the tender telling you? That its on? or battery is charged? My lite stays on on my float chargers, if it plugged in,,
Hmm,, battery, Huhh? Whoda ever guessed?

IP Logged
sunbomb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/01/12 at 11:21:54

Supposedly the tender shows red for "Currently charging" and green for "Fully Charged." When I first plugged it in, it was showing red for a period of time (say 1 hour.) But then it showed green right after. I can't believe that the battery would have charged itself in one hour. Anyway, I am going to convince myself it was a bad battery!

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #11 - 04/02/12 at 13:16:40

Remember all of the discussion on this website, usually at the beginning of the riding season in cold climates, by people whose batteries are just discharged enough to turn the bike over but not start them.  Mine was that way in early March after sitting for five months.  A real Battery Tender does charge the battery, then keeps it charged.   I have them on my boat and travel trailer batteries, but not, until now, on my motorcycyle battery, since I usually ride the motorcycle enough, even here in Wyoming, to keep the battery charged.  Following the failure to start in early March, I attached the Battery Tender for an hour, it showed green, and the motorcyle started normally.  The battery was just discharged enough to fail to start the bike.  So, yes, an hour of charging could and did get the battery charged enough to make the bike start.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starting trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.