Send Topic Print
Amal MkII (Read 361 times)
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Amal MkII
03/17/12 at 14:00:42

Woohoo! finally getting around to installing the MKII...YEAAHH baby!!!

Ummm just a small problem, I aint sure how that sucker works or what gets connected to where....  Grin

Anyone have installer tips or tricks or if i have to change out my stock petcock?

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Amal MkII
Reply #1 - 03/17/12 at 14:38:56

i do not recall a vacuum port on the mk2. you will need to use the raptor petcock with a inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. then fire it up and jet it. there is not much info on that subject, one can hope your needle and throttle valve are correct.

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/18/12 at 15:20:00

dr1445 wrote on 03/17/12 at 14:38:56:
i do not recall a vacuum port on the mk2. you will need to use the raptor petcock with a inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. then fire it up and jet it. there is not much info on that subject, one can hope your needle and throttle valve are correct.

Thanks for that info bud, question, where in the world does the throttle cable go?

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/18/12 at 15:30:01

You need a different throttle cable.
The stock cable will not work on the Amal Mk II carb.
When you do have the correct cable it is installed down through the hole in the middle of the screw on cap and attaches directly to the floor inside the bottom of the slide.
** I do have cables that are made for the the Amal Mk II and the Mikuni VM carbs.  The same cable works for both types of carb.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 03/18/12 at 16:58:27

What are the advantages from a Amal carb versus the stock carb. What kind of performance gain is expected changing nothing else on the bike and how does it affect the mpg?

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/18/12 at 17:58:58

LANCER wrote on 03/18/12 at 15:30:01:
You need a different throttle cable.
The stock cable will not work on the Amal Mk II carb.
When you do have the correct cable it is installed down through the hole in the middle of the screw on cap and attaches directly to the floor inside the bottom of the slide.
** I do have cables that are made for the the Amal Mk II and the Mikuni VM carbs.  The same cable works for both types of carb.

Thanks Lancer yeah i got the cable as well and was a little confused but ok so it goes through the top and attaches on that metal plate down there. Ok cool just now need a raptor i guess.

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/18/12 at 18:06:59

ralfyguy wrote on 03/18/12 at 16:58:27:
What are the advantages from a Amal carb versus the stock carb. What kind of performance gain is expected changing nothing else on the bike and how does it affect the mpg?

Sorry bud almost didnt see the post and not sure if Id be the right guy to ask... Lancer knows WAY more when it comes to carbs... I personally wanted to test it out and validate by my seat of the pants method Cool

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 03/18/12 at 20:13:12

You don't truly need a raptor but I would highly recommend it.  I've done both.  I installed my Mk2 before the raptor was ”discovered” and actually drilled a hole in the throat of the carb and installed a nipple to tap vacuum.  This was, by the way, Lancer's idea and worked perfectly.  I just hate the vacuum-controlled petcock and replaced it as soon as I could, returning the Mk2 to its former state (or very close) with some aluminum epoxy.  In my opinion, the Mk2 with a raptor is a perfect pairing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/20/12 at 05:36:32

The Amal Mk II and the Mikuni VM are the same basic TYPE of carburetor.
They are direct cable actuated round slide carburetors that have been used for years, especially on big single racing bikes in past years.  They are simple, inexpensive and make very good power on the LS650 engine.
The Mk II's I had a few years ago were nearly perfect for the LS650 engine.  I just pulled it from the box, mounted it and with a little tweaking of the pilot screw it was ready to go.  

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/31/12 at 13:25:34

Ok got everything i need now... Just a problem... I cant find an install / tune guide to save my life that explains where the pilot screw or which screw is which.... Any one have some pointers or a url to get the good guides from?  At the AMAL site i only found a picture of the Tuning... not very helpful....

Thanks all!

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/31/12 at 13:39:01

And Im not too sure what that nipple is on the side of the carb that attaches to the motor... Where it attaches its on the left side of the carb....

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/31/12 at 13:57:47

cornfuzed wrote on 03/31/12 at 13:39:01:
And Im not too sure what that nipple is on the side of the carb that attaches to the motor... Where it attaches its on the left side of the carb....

I used to have the Amal MK II manual in my computer files on the old machine.  I think I still have the hard drive and if so will check to see if it's still there and if so will transfe it to the MAC and post it.

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/31/12 at 14:17:28

LANCER wrote on 03/31/12 at 13:57:47:
cornfuzed wrote on 03/31/12 at 13:39:01:

I used to have the Amal MK II manual in my computer files on the old machine.  I think I still have the hard drive and if so will check to see if it's still there and if so will transfe it to the MAC and post it.

Cool Thank you LANCER! Yeah i just dont wanna mess this up...

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/31/12 at 15:24:08

Ok after watching some youtubes i know know which is the pilot air screw and the throttle or idle screw....

Now i think i need to know what little brass nipple is for where a clear plastic tube is attached on my MK2... Its located on the front of the carb ...Left side closest to the motor... I dont think its for vaccum but not sure what its for maybe to allow more air in??? Undecided

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/31/12 at 15:27:24