Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mineral Spirits and Rubber tires (Read 212 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Mineral Spirits and Rubber tires
03/22/12 at 18:53:21

Is their any proof that mineral spirits will eat up or destroy your motorcycle tires? I've been using it clean up road gunk and chain grease on my sickle, and cleaning the rims I've gotten a
lot on my tires.. some people say this, and some people say that.. I know it ate right through my latex gloves.. but is there any real proof of it destroying rubber?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Mineral Spirits and Rubber tires
Reply #1 - 03/22/12 at 22:39:08

mineral spirits bad tires

search term

I didnt see any horror stories.. you shyould have a look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 03/23/12 at 04:01:03

I did some research.. it's kinda up and and down.. some labels recommend cleaning rubber with it before painting..

Mineral spirits sure does clean up chain grease though.. that sticky white grease that won't wash off

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/23/12 at 06:30:53

As long as it isn't allowed to soak in it "should" be relatively safe to use. Same for turpentine (made from pine sap) and acetone. I used to use all 3 at times on white wall or raised white letter tires, but turpentine tended to turn the white to tan and the black to a dull mud color.

When I was riding my old VN800A daily (44K miles in 18 months worth), year round, lubing the crap out of the chain I didn't use an aerosol chain lube. Lithium grease cut with just enough white gas (Coleman stove fuel) to let it get runny enough to apply via small mustard bottle. The mix soaks in, the gas flashes off, the grease stays in place longer. It does still get funky, but doesn't go everywhere like the spray lube does. Works best on standard style chains, for o-ring chains 3 in 1 oil is fine.

My 63 Honda's drive chain seems to soak up any chain lube I put on it. Right now is coated in NAPA aerosol topped with white lithium spray grease. Chain is older than I am and still flexes/rolls fine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/12 at 07:29:12

While my wife's 02 Savage doesn't have this problem.  I avoid this on my 02 VFR800 by using Maxima Chain Wax.  If I let the bike sit for 20 minutes, it doesn't through much of anything off the chain, which keeps the whole bike pretty clean!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/24/12 at 07:44:22

I have proof that it won't,....my own experience. Mineral spirits is the cheapest most non flamable of all thinners and solvents. I don't think it will hurt anything, certainly not any plastic or rubber. I've used it on everything, including my glasses to get spray paint off them.
But don't even think about comparing it to laquer thiner, much less acetone,......which will melt even some of the best plastics !

On edit, I read about mineral spirits eating thru latex gloves ??
I said,....wait just a minute, either we are talking a different mineral spirits, or a different latex glove ! Not believeing this, I stole a glove from DW and tried to get it on,.....it was way too small but I finally got it stretched on (my hand that is!) went to the shop, dumped some MSs on it, and it didn't even come close to attacking the latex. After 10 minutes, I dumped some Laquer thinner on it, and it too did not melt the laytex. After more time, it did feel like the laquer thinner may have made the latex a little sticky, but never did eat thru or tear the maximum stretched latex.
Others experience may differ ? I doubt it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 03/24/12 at 10:09:35

Using automotive latex gloves the mineral spirit first dipples the gloves, then the gloves will tear if stretched any... kinda crystalizes the rubber... this is after using it with the gloves on and a soaked shop cloth for arond 30 minutes or so...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/24/12 at 13:46:40

But how much latex is in a tire? Id take a chunk of an old tire & drop it in a jar with some Spirits in it & put a lid on it..

I used to sell plastic pipe. One customer made sulfuric acid & they went thru a lot of plumbing. Then, I laid hands on some PVDF pipe. It was about $6.00 a foot for 1/2" pipe back in the 80's, I gave them a hunk to torture test & it passed. I sold them quite a bit.. Smiley
I heard that was what the shuttle was plumbed with,,IDK, but it didnt hurt sales,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 03/24/12 at 15:34:33

It ate the crap out of those latex gloves... might not be any latex in tires, but that wasn't the original question  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/24/12 at 15:54:03

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 03/24/12 at 16:02:57

verslagen1 wrote on 03/24/12 at 15:54:03:

I've already googled it.. I just wanted more input.. because "stripping away" and "totally destroying" are 2 different things... anyhow, I think I'm just not gonna let any of the nuts touch my tires and be on the safe side...

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/24/12 at 16:16:09

I just wouldn't get that stuff even close to the condom supply.......... Shocked  I have always used SOS pads on my tires, leaves em looking new...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 03/24/12 at 20:29:20

verslagen1 wrote on 03/24/12 at 15:54:03:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/velostrada/issues/200507/04DetailingDynamics_Carin...

Quote:
If you choose a solvent based dressing, choose one with a highly refined grade mineral spirit; this allows it to dry quickly before it can attack the protective waxes and polymers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Yep, its wonderful ! Plainly says it won't hurt a  thing.

But who says google knows anything ? Shocked

Myself, ?? I have always washed grease/oil off tires w/ gasoline, much much harsher than mineral spirits, and it never hurt anything either. Like said, any of it dries so fast its not even worth discussing anyhow. But,......what is it,.....if it feels good do it ??

google is a wonderful thing.   Cool

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/24/12 at 23:06:49

Built2Last wrote on 03/24/12 at 15:34:33:
It ate the crap out of those latex gloves... might not be any latex in tires, but that wasn't the original question  Cheesy

Is their any proof that mineral spirits will eat up or destroy your motorcycle tires?

. might not be any latex in tires, but that wasn't the original question

so why are we talking about what it does to latex as if that were relevant?

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #14 - 03/25/12 at 04:30:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/12 at 23:06:49:
Built2Last wrote on 03/24/12 at 15:34:33:

Is their any proof that mineral spirits will eat up or destroy your motorcycle tires?

. might not be any latex in tires, but that wasn't the original question

so why are we talking about what it does to latex as if that were relevant?

I was just saying that it ate the nuts out of my latex gloves.. I don't think my tires have been damaged, they're Metzeler ME 880s and have pretty thick sidewalls.. but they're brand new... would suck to ruin 'em..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:57:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mineral Spirits and Rubber tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.