Send Topic Print
synthetic oil? (Read 1868 times)
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

synthetic oil?
02/24/12 at 19:22:16

Hey fellas, I was wondering if I can run synthetic oil in the engine? Being the clutch , tranny, and engine are all using the same oil. Will the clutch slip? If I can use it , what kind of synthetic oil are you using?                                                  Thanks, Rich Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: synthetic oil?
Reply #1 - 02/24/12 at 19:55:01

"Earl, issat you buddy?   I think I can hear somebody talking with a Canadian accent but my ears are all gone now."

...... wounded veteran of the list oil wars, hopping around on one leg while groping for the face of the person speaking so he can see who it is ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/24/12 at 20:29:03

Just like oldfeller's pic, I'm running Rotella T6 in both my bikes and unfortunately, the secret's out - It's always out of stock at the local Walmart! That should be your first clue...

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #3 - 02/25/12 at 00:09:40

Yes! You can run anything that is non-energy saving....

Synthetic... Conventional...

Suzuki...Rotella... Valvoline...

5W-15W-40...

If you have a specific that is somewhere in this range you're going to kill the bike before the oil does.

Yes I'm a greenhorn.. but I believe my non-bias here serves a heavy purpose before the brand loyal junkies get to ya,  Wink

Not that there is a thing wrong with that! We stick with what works.

But pick an oil that meets specs and spend your time fretting over maintenance issues that matter ocne you do pick an oil. (Which I'm sure you will quickly... synthetic is fine but offers an insurance on this non high performance bike that isn't necessary just like my K&N isn't necessary but makes me feel better)

The place to spend your time is carb jetting and when to upgrade to the verslavvy mod. Good luck in your search!  Grin

*This is a Greenhorn's opinion, I'm not saying to disclaim the oil suggestion of the experts' here, I've used Rotella T and it has worked great.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 02/25/12 at 05:39:51

What ever oil you decide to use, make sure that it meets the JASO MA standard for motorcycle use. Unfortunately what oil to use can turn into a very heated discussion around here. There are quite a few of us that do use Rotella T without any problems.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/25/12 at 09:08:23

The reason I was asking is I run Amsoil in my Harley , but my clutch has its own oil and so does the tranny. (3 different oils) . I want to use amsoil but I am woried the clutch will slip. I know the amsoil will lubricate the tranny and engine well. I just wondered if the clutch was compatable.     Thanks again ,Rich

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/25/12 at 09:12:35

I didn't have any clutch issues with the amsoil I used.  but didn't use it beyond a couple of changes.

WWW   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/25/12 at 09:52:00

12Bravo is correct, JASO MA is all you need. It could all be in my head, but my s40 was at a dead heat with my buddy's vstar 650, prior to it, I lagged past 55mph. The additive package seems to reduce the friction and the bike definitely ran cooler. I told a few guys and gals at a local Moto get together and now they all use it. Dumb me...

Amsoil is great stuff, but it's $$$$$$$$$

IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/25/12 at 11:09:39

Thanks guys!!!!
                 Rich Cheesy

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/25/12 at 11:12:57

Amsoil for motorcycle would be well worth the extra money,You should always use and oil made for motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 02/25/12 at 11:13:42

As the folks have mentioned, the Savage doesn't really require the high temp characteristics of a synthetic oil, although many here (including me) do use it as "bulletproofing" on an air cooled engine in case of thermal abuse.

Biggest thermal abuse cases have been folks idling the bike at a standstill for over half an hour, btw, which isn't where you would think that you would find the most terrible thermal abuse cases.

Use any JASO MA or MA2 rated oil, most of us tend to go with Rotella as it has a good rep as bike oil on many many motorcycle sites.   And since a lot of us use it (and abuse it) the collective knowledge is that is is "good oil".

It has been proven in our many many oil wars as being as good or better than Amisol or Klotz in our simple motorcycle's engine (which is the only test bed that counts for us).

Rotella is less expensive than the big ticket boys stuff by about half and it does "as good or better" in our own oil war testing.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin                 Bill, are your fingers broken, or what?   Whut ails you, where is you?

Now, before any of you go volunteer to do any testing, do you have the thermocouples and test devices to do live temperature recording of head temperature and sump temperature and ambient temperature?

Verslagen, we may need a Tech Index listing that points back to that "oil war of all oil wars" so we can simply point each new person back there to review the information instead of hobbling out here in our crutches time after time after time again.    

Especially if Bill has done quit holding up his other side of things .....  telling the newbie that spending over double for Amisol is "well worth the money" as if it was his money that would be getting spent.   Bill is a Klotz man (always has been) and had never ever used Amisol in his Savage ever.

Hey Bill, Amisol publishes lots of data, you can at least tell what's in it and it IS good stuff by both ingredients, testing and specifications (unlike Klotz which publishes bupkiss).  

You might have a fighting chance oil warring with Amisol (mebbe)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/25/12 at 11:25:28

bill67 wrote on 02/25/12 at 11:12:57:
Amsoil for motorcycle would be well worth the extra money,You should always use and oil made for motorcycles.

what happened to bill?   Huh

Must of sold his stock

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 02/25/12 at 11:38:21

Consider the one leg, crutches, no ears, completely blast blinded -- and those were the people that won the last oil wars .....

Think of what shape Bill must be in after losing each war, time after time.

Plus, he can't ever plug Klotz without supporting facts ever again (that was his sentence).

(but he could say lots of factual things about Amisol -- data exists on Bob is the Oil Guy and other sources as well)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 02/25/12 at 12:02:14

I have used Amsoil in my bike and then switched to Rotella T and haven't noticed any difference in how the engine runs/performs. And Rotella states on the jug that it DOES meet JASO MA standards. Dozerman, Amsoil won't hurt your clutch at all.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 02/25/12 at 13:51:23

But I go one step up from Amsoil to Klotz Racing oil,Its 0 wear oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › synthetic oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.