Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Backfire and wont start (Read 338 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Backfire and wont start
Reply #15 - 03/15/12 at 21:12:35

Is the battery fully charged? PLease try to reply to all the points in the posts, cant help if we dont know what youve done & not done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #16 - 03/16/12 at 04:05:14

I don't know I don't have a way to test it the battery. It is a new battery so I would think it would be.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 03/16/12 at 05:16:39

If you have a charger put it on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Mr Hyde
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - 03/16/12 at 08:08:57

Being a new battery doesn't necessarily mean much. Years ago I went through 3 from the dealer until I finally got one that didn't have a dead cell.

Serious Thumper
Alliance Member
Date Registered: 02/28/08 at 4:04pm
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #19 - 03/16/12 at 10:02:02

I took the battery to auto zone and it was at 45 percent. So I am getting it charged there because I don't have a charger

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/16/12 at 10:23:04

YOu may not know this yet, but you are a mechanic,,& as such, youll need some tools. A short list of tools youll need if you want to ride one of these & not leave it in the shop all the time is a Service Manual, battery charger, because if it doesnt want to start, the battery runs down a little, then, it will act like its gonna start, but it wont, the spark isnt strong enough, even tho the engine is spinning nicely, Of course you need some wrenches & sockets & screwdrivers & feeler gauges. If you dont have what you need now,, okay,, I just finally got a deep metric 3/8 drive set the other day,, NOW my toolbox is complete & Ive been collecting since I was a kid.
If you just want to get a 10 MM endwrench for starters, hit a pawnshop, Some of them sell by the pound, If you get sockets from Harbor Freight, theyll work, I wouldnt do that if I was a pro mechanic, but as JUst an Ol Guy,, uh huhh,, BUT,,I would be careful about the ratchet. A crappy ratchet can get ya hurt, I prefer S&K, but CRaftsman is fine, I have 3 1/4 ratchets, different kinds, they all get used for different jobs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #21 - 03/16/12 at 10:35:23

I just got my manual in the mail today. Should I get a set of metric wrenches? I haven't ran into any thing that I need a box wrench on yet but I'm new so in sure there are things I need them for

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #22 - 03/16/12 at 11:05:36

As I keep telling my wife... every different tool has it's purpose, no I don't need 4 different kinds of wrenches, I could get by with just one. But the times when I want those other ones, boy would it ever make life easier!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 03/16/12 at 21:33:43

You dont actually need a set, but by the time you buy the individual wrenches that the bike needs, you coulda bought one,
Tools,, why are they so foreign to people?

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #24 - 03/17/12 at 03:02:03

Tools aren't foreign to me. I'm a farm boy that moved to the city sorry couldn't bring them with me i have a garage my car barely fits in that right now is taken over by my bike.

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #25 - 03/17/12 at 08:01:37

I just want to thank everybody for their input on my problem thanks to you guys I (or should I say we) got it up and running  Grin It was the battery.I got it charged up and boom she started up. With the new lancer jet it sound really good right now. I have to take it out and road test it to Know for sure.So many thanks to everyone on this forum I am honored  to be a member and to know there is such support out there for this bike and the owners. Again many Thanks! Now on to the oil leak!!!      

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 03/17/12 at 10:28:09

A battery strong enough to spin it nicely otta fire it off,, that bites so many people,, & you can pull the plug & watch it spark & think Yea,, this thing is ready to start...but, with the plug In,, fighting spinning the engine & adding in the work of compression,, theres not enough OOOomph to fire the plug,,, So, when it doesnt wanna start & youve spent a few minutes trying, be aware that every push of the start button is bringing you closer to that moment when you gotta charge it up before you can move forward,
Ive added pigtails to the 4 wheeler & lawnmower, using , I think, RCA plugs, maybe thats not the right name, like the ones we used to plug the turntable in with. Float chargers from Harbor Freight, Id probably want a better brand if I was doin it over,,anyway, starting with a hot battery is a good way help figure out whats going on, but a float charger will die trying to bring a battery up from the Im not dead. bnut IM needing charged up good, but you can get on the + side of the battery with a small battery chargers clip & ground somewhere on the engine or frame.

&, as much of a pain as it is, you do need the battery on the bench & check the water.. Its a lot like water,, it will evaporate undewr the right conditions, so, you problee otta have a look,, theres a slot in the battery box, but IDK if you can tell the battery condition there.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 03/17/12 at 19:41:38

Justin, I saw your earlier post about your tool set being complete. I will bet you one million dollars it ain't. Just in case, that's post- Grin Obama dollars. When I finally said my tool box was complete I found I couldn't lift it anymore.  :'(

Also I'll open a new thought here. What we call a backfire isn't technically a backfire. We all use it and understand its use here, so no problem. But a real backfire comes back through the carburetor. I had a terrific REAL backfire after pouring gas into the huge round thing on top of my 454 engine last week.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 03/17/12 at 22:14:37

Of course its not complete,, Im missin a coupla sockets, I dont have a full set of wobble sockets, only 3/8 drive shallow 6 point standards, But, I have everything I can see myself needing, I REally wish I had a 10 MM box end that drops down, that would make doin valves on these things so much easier. I guess I could heat & bend one, Ive bent wrenches before to do a job. & No way could I move the top box, no Earthly way,, & the bottom one has Wheeeels.

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #29 - 03/18/12 at 07:17:20

Took the bike out for a ride and with the new main jet what a difference! No backfire or popping it sounds really good,and runs awesome it was a good 10-15 minute ride.I think thats why I got it cheap is because who ever was working on it for her couldnt figure out the backfire after putting on the jardine so I am really glad to have found this forum. Now just got to get the oil leak fixed and get my Motorcycle endorsement and Im ready to give her a good try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire and wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.