TEV diaphragm test? (Read 57 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
TEV diaphragm test?
03/19/12 at 08:05:02

I am having trouble with my TEV system. It started when I put a cut spring in it to reduce backfire. The motor would cut out, or almost cut out, when down shifting. I had to set the idle to 1500 for it not to do that, but the rpm still dropped way below idle when down shifting. I bought a new stock spring, and it still did it. I put a washer behind the spring to no avail. I bought a carb cleaning wire kit and cleaned the passage from the TEV to the throat. Didn't help.
So now I'm wondering if I damaged the diaphragm the first time I took it apart.
Is there some way to test it? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: TEV diaphragm test?
Reply #1 - 03/19/12 at 08:28:00

AR, I just had the cover off my TEV last night for the 1st time...halfway boogered up the 1st 2 screws getting them out and totally effed up the last one   Angry After a cold one or two and plenty of cursing I finally got that 3rd one off so that I could see inside the TEV.

I don't know that I can help you test for a diaphram leak, but thought I would tag along on this thread for more TEV education  Grin

(BTW, when you pull it apart, should it have fuel in there, or is it just an air passageway? - The metal cup in mine had some fuel hanging out there. The backside of the post had some black, semi-greasy residue on it that I wiped off before reinstalling.)

These are MotoBuddha's pics...mine were not nearly this dirty. I am only concerned about the little bit of fuel and the black greasy debris on the post.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268545171/20#20

(Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but you guys have been into this part of the carb, where I am a noob)  Roll Eyes

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/19/12 at 09:10:56

No way to test it other than the eye ball test.

Now you know why we recommend getting another spring to fool around with.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 03/19/12 at 09:39:55

Not sure if I have an answer to your question but when I experimented with this mod my bike ran the worst it ever has...spit out black smoke like a diesel.

I had a spring that someone here had sent me to test with. The backfire was gone but I switched it back to stock because performance went down the toilet...just sayin'

I'm at a mile high tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TEV diaphragm test?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.