Send Topic Print
Proud new owner (Read 445 times)
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Proud new owner
03/13/12 at 14:59:43

Just bought a new 2011 Fox Orange/Glass Sparkle Black S40 today. Was looking at a '12 Honda CBR250R, '11 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom and a still new '09 Honda Shadow 750. The S40 was the last bike I tested, and the one I liked the most - Yamaha 650 was a real close second. I could bore you with what I liked the most about each bike, but I'd prefer to ask a few questions about the S40. Please.

The salesman said the bike uses a special break-in oil when first serviced. Is this true, or do I need to add a break-in additive like Lucas or Redline?

Would Synthetic oil be okay to start using at the first 600 mile service? Would an anti-wear additive like zddp be needed at each service if already using a good MC synthetic?

I want to use Amsoil MC oil - would the 10w-40 or the 20w-50 be better for 100+ Oklahoma summers?

Just guessing, how long would you estimate I could go before I would need to worry about replacing the timing chain? - My driving habits would mainly be 40 mile round-trips to and from work/Half of the miles would be 35-40mph in the city and the other half would be 55-60mph on the highway. And keeping the oil/filter changed often.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Proud new owner
Reply #1 - 03/13/12 at 15:33:43

Welcome,
I don't know about special break-in oil, but don't switch to synth 'till after the 600miles... maybe even 1,000...  During break-in try to vary throttle and accel and use engine decel...  Steady hwy cruise doesn't break in rings well...  and, avoid full throttle for a while...
No additives needed..
Amsoil synth is great oil, but pricey..  Use it if you like.  20w-50 is good for summer, but either is fine...
For your type riding, I'd start checking for camchain wear at 15k, (some have gone before that, but probably short errand bikes or bar hoppers)... I put in a Versy modded (see tech section) cam-chain adjuster at 24k...
Now it can't fall out,.. I can relax and enjoy.  The chain will give me a rattle when it gets too loose, but won't come loose...
Our bike is also famous for a harmless, speedo rattle (easy fix, see tech section again).. and belt squeak when wet.
... and the vacuum petcock tends to go at some point (we swap to a manual Raptor)...
Other than that,... it's a great little bulletproof torque monster...
Peace... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/13/12 at 15:48:14

Welcome to the club.

I don't any data on the new bikes, but I'd estimate somewhere between 15 and 20,000.

If you're going to use syn, 10w40 should be good enough, I like the cooling better and it doesn't thin out like dino.  Didn't like changing oil wt's either. Oil temps and usage comparison

WWW   IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/13/12 at 16:28:39

I had planned on asking these questions prior to making a purchase, but my forum membership wasn't approved in time.  Smiley  Guess it didn't really matter, because I knew the bike had a few quirks and really wasn't too concerned about the "problems" the bike had. Just love the look of it and the fact that it's a 650cc single. Thanks for the answers - about what I expected on the chain, but I wasn't so sure on when I could start using synthetic oil. Thanks again for the help.

BTW, I don't plan on fixing the "backfire" should it occur. With this bike I figure it's more of an added bonus instead of a problem.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #4 - 03/13/12 at 17:24:00

Buster wrote on 03/13/12 at 16:28:39:
I had planned on asking these questions prior to making a purchase, but my forum membership wasn't approved in time.  Smiley  Guess it didn't really matter, because I knew the bike had a few quirks and really wasn't too concerned about the "problems" the bike had. Just love the look of it and the fact that it's a 650cc single. Thanks for the answers - about what I expected on the chain, but I wasn't so sure on when I could start using synthetic oil. Thanks again for the help.

Yep, the little puff at the end when you stop for the day lets you know all is well. Smiley

BTW, I don't plan on fixing the "backfire" should it occur. With this bike I figure it's more of an added bonus instead of a problem.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 03/13/12 at 17:59:29

Buster wrote on 03/13/12 at 16:28:39:
 Smiley ..., because I knew the bike had a few quirks and really wasn't too concerned about the "problems" the bike had..

Yup,.. all bikes have their quirks, and problems...
The good thing is,. on our bikes, they are known... they've been around for 25 years,...

Welcome to SS.com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 03/13/12 at 20:41:45

Congrats on the new bike. There is one at my local dealership with that color scheme. It is a real beauty.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/13/12 at 21:34:45

You should have a look at the chain around 13 to 15 thousand miles,
Get a book on it, check out tech section, start studyin up on doing the valves. Youll be needin it soon, 5000 miles doesnt take long, & listen to it now, get in a place thats quiet, away from traffic noise, etc, & listen to the top end,
OHH, sitting still & giving it gas, listening to the top end will blue a pipe,,
& dont set the idle low because it sounds good floppin & bloppin,, 1,000 rpm is what it takes to keep the cam oiled up.. the cam spins in the aluminum that makes the head, no inserts,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 03/14/12 at 07:36:26

If you have any mechanical ability at all...do all your own work...the dealership may offer to do all the recommended maintenance on your brand new bike but you'll have more fun and do a better job yourself...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/14/12 at 10:40:06

Did somebody say OIL??????? Grin Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/14/12 at 10:49:34

Bubba wrote on 03/14/12 at 07:36:26:
If you have any mechanical ability at all...do all your own work...the dealership may offer to do all the recommended maintenance on your brand new bike but you'll have more fun and do a better job yourself...

Chances of you totaling it are a lot less than the craptastichanic at the dealership, & youll spend a fortune on things you could do yourself AND your bike will be sitting in the shop instead of under your butt,where it belongs. The $$$ youll save on the first valve adjustment will more than pay for the tools youll need to do the job. Youll have plenty of time to understand what it takes to do the cam chain before its time,& thats another DIY task that will save more than enough $$ by doing it yourself to pay for the tools. Suzuki service manual is the first tool you need,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/14/12 at 11:21:08

He picked a good oil, so no real need for educational materials for this new owner.  

If he really wants to understand his weight question that he made then Verslagen gave him the thread link to do that with.    He should read it.

If he has unanswered questions or gets off on some wild tangent, then the churned earth of the endless oil war will magically re-appear to apply education as needed.

Hey, this is the first time a dealership has ever claimed that Suzuki puts special break in oil into the bike -- that is a new stealership line of BS -- they just want to see him again in 600 miles so they can pick his wallet for that fraudulent "required first service" that they mostly don't do (but still charge you beau-coup many many bucks for).

Now, if you wanted to talk about that BS first service we could do that for him ....

To do the first service CORRECTLY would require a top cover (top end) tear down, taking the gas tank off the bike, etc etc to do the jug stud retorque.   This means a 18 year old underskilled mechanic gets to rape your new bike with his vast under knowledge taken from an uncorrected copy of Clymers manual.

The very last thing I would allow is a dealership mechanic to rip my brand new machine down to the skivvies, foul up the rubber plug seal, and make the 2-3 valve and solenoid adjustment errors they generally do when working on the bike.

We are serious, the turn over in dealership motorcycle mechanics is horrendous and the odd are your brand new Savage is the first one this 18 year old mechanic has ever worked on.

Change your own oil and filter at 600 miles.   Contrary to your stealership trying to tell you they have to do the oil change, they don't -- your warranty is unaffected if you can prove by receipts that you bought an approved oil and oil filter and you have a cell phone shot of you doing the change and another of the mileage.  

Simply don't do the rest of the BS they claim you need to do --- most of the bikes here on the list have done just fine without getting screwed up by stealership mechanics attempting to do most of a top end teardown for NO GOOD REASON.

Buy like 10 cheap EMCO oil filters from Bike Bandit -- really they are perfectly good filters (least expensive / best quality out there) and if you are going to pop the big bucks for Amisol bike oil (full synthetic JASO MA MA2 rating) I would pick 10w40 for the weight.

Testing right here on the list shows that synthetic 20w50 oils DO NOT THIN OUT LIKE THE ORIGINAL DINO OILS DID and because they run unchanged at 50 weight they "slow down the works unnecessarily" in the Savage engine causing both head and sump temperatures to go up unnecessarily.

Synthetic 10w40 from Amisol will do just fine at $13-$15 a quart.   It's a new baby and he's gonna blow some money on it, so let him.

When he's been around a while, he will pick up on T6, no need to rush him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/14/12 at 11:32:01

Ive got 20,000 miles on it & the head has never been retorqued, They say you need to do that, then, IF you dont AND it loses a gasket, then its on you. Lawyers,, heck,, you buy a new car, you gotta retorque the heads?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/14/12 at 12:42:01

I can count on one finger the entire population of leaking head gaskets on new bikes (first 5 years) and I think that was really a stealership mis-interpreting the standard plug leak as a "head gasket leak" as they soaked that poor newbie for a full engine tear down (over $1,000 dollars).

It takes more than one hand to count the issues JUST THIS MONTH from letting dealership mechanics work on Savages -- hey no joke, they know not what they do and they really do DAMAGE things.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 03/14/12 at 16:11:26

Congratz on your new ride!  I think the questions have pretty much been answered but, since OIL was mentioned... I use the 20w50 synthetic in mine year-round in North TX (Dallas area).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:17:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Proud new owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.