Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Left side foot peg damage... (Read 183 times)
cgdaily
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Left side foot peg damage...
03/07/12 at 14:54:58

So yesterday I went to look at a 2005 Savage that is for sale. The bike is clean except for the fact that he dropped it in some loose gravel last week going less than 10mph (so he said). Very little damage except the left side rear shock top cover got dinged and scratched. The left grip end cap is gone. And the worst was the left foot peg is bent to hell. So here is my question. Is that an easy fix and is he part easily obtainable?  The actual shifter is fine and shifts fine but the foot peg is hammered.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or if there is something I may e over looking in a low speed dropped bike?

Thanks!   Chris

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Left side foot peg damage...
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 16:08:29

The end cap for the grip is $5
I don't think you can just buy the shock cover by itself.
Footpegs are easily replaceable.

Now what do you mean "bent to hell" ?
folded over to make a nice U ? I would call that bent to hell.
or just bent... 15° 30° 45° ?  eh... flesh wound, where's me hammer.   Grin

Is the end of the peg all ground up?

Gravel may scratch it up, but it takes pavement to grind it up.
Possible damage would be a bent mounting bolts.
Personally haven't found it to be deal breaker, just something to knock down the price with.
Of course, it would be something else if it had been crashed into something.

WWW   IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 16:37:37

I had very little success bending my foot peg back into shape.  I bent my into a nice U and felt a lot better purchasing a new peg.  I think it cost about $20 but I felt confident knowing my footing was secure.

IP Logged
cgdaily
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 18:45:26

I guess in reality I don't really know if it's bent beyond repair. Where does one find a replacement part?  At a dealer?

IP Logged
Gary
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/07/12 at 21:01:40

I bent mine  pretty  good one brain dead day pulled the cap and rubber off and used my second biggest hammer now it looks.and works.good as new. what can you hurt by trying?
Gary

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 03/08/12 at 03:31:59

My right peg was slightly bent when I bought it- just enough to make my foot uncomfortable while riding. I took it off and tried to fix it with a vice and a BFH, but couldn't get it perfect, so i bought a replacement peg. $60 up here in the land of the midnight sun.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/08/12 at 04:57:28

You can go aftermarket & not spend that much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
predictedlog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/08/12 at 09:27:41

So, I need to pull my left peg and it looks as though the little chrome button covering the cap screw has been pushed down into the hole and is now below the surface of the mounting bracket.  Any of you had this problem and do I just drill a hole in it and use a bent scribe or other suitable to pull it out or is there a better way of dealing with it. Thanks, Ted

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 03/08/12 at 10:17:26

predictedlog wrote on 03/08/12 at 09:27:41:
So, I need to pull my left peg and it looks as though the little chrome button covering the cap screw has been pushed down into the hole and is now below the surface of the mounting bracket.  Any of you had this problem and do I just drill a hole in it and use a bent scribe or other suitable to pull it out or is there a better way of dealing with it. Thanks, Ted

It is just a plastic type cap, so do whatever you have to pry the bugger out & you will be good to go  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/08/12 at 13:19:58

I spent $17 at the local bike shop and got some generic male-end foot pegs. Sure, they don't spring like the old ones, but they keep my feet off the ground! Been looking for BMX style pegs just to screw on though.

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/11/12 at 18:26:07

The long part of the peg is a replacable part separate from the mounting piece or the rubber grip.  I folded mine up at a stop light  :'( It actually snapped inside.  An OEM bar and new rubber were pretty cheap.

You can always look on ebay.  There is usually one good pedal off the wrecks  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #11 - 03/12/12 at 13:56:38

Ordered left foot peg today from RYCA. $15.00 shipped to Florida.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
cgdaily
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/15/12 at 18:06:13

@Cavie.   Which one did you get from RvCa??  The ones they have listed on the site are for rear passenger ones I think??  The one on the bike is not salvageable.  Thanks!!

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #13 - 03/15/12 at 18:33:07

cgdaily wrote on 03/15/12 at 18:06:13:
@Cavie.   Which one did you get from RvCa??  The ones they have listed on the site are for rear passenger ones I think??  The one on the bike is not salvageable.  Thanks!!

Call after 10 am PT and ask for Ryan. Got mine ( LF) today and put it on. Bought a seat and a muffler from them a month ago. Good people to deal with. Good prices. You can buy anything that they take off to build a cafe racer.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left side foot peg damage...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.