Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
excessive premature rocker arm wear (Read 71 times)
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
excessive premature rocker arm wear
03/15/12 at 15:55:58

my motorcycle shut down the other day and barely fired back up just to do the same.... now it wont start at all... so i checked my timing chain and self modified timing chain adjuster and it was all within specs... then i thought that the cam was gone... i checked and no cam wear at all... so i looked at the rocker arms and the cam pads are burnt and have concave cuts and cuts in them... they look seriously nasty... can lucas motorcycle oil be the culprit?  how do u check the oil pressure?

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: excessive premature rocker arm wear
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 16:52:13

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1330140136/0#0

Read all of this, pay attention any time you see the term ZDDP or flat tappet, post any questions you have here after reading the oil information.

Oil pressure is checked off the main oil gallery at the front of the crank case (you will see the horizontal oil passage that is the main feed for everything).

Do not be surprised if you have oil pressure down at the test port -- we have discussions about this periodically as what counts is oil pressure up at the cam and we don't measure it there.  Why not is a good question ....

You will find the following oil passage pictures to be good information on how the oil gets up there.

You will note the long screw by the upper cam chain sprocket on the top picture that makes the passage up through the head casting.   If you were to loosen this screw and crank the engine oil should come welling up in quantity past the head of the screw if things are working correctly.  

Re tightening the screw down to 100 inch pounds of torque will reseal the passage (crush seal on a brass washer) so the junction can be loosened, checked then re tightened with no damage to the functional oil seal.

Like I said, don't be surprised that you have OK oil pressure and a volume of oil going up through all the passages -- your issue may be the oil itself isn't doing the job that oil used to do ....

(reference oil war thread for why)

« Last Edit: 03/15/12 at 19:06:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › excessive premature rocker arm wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!