Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Bars Installed... (pics attached) (Read 410 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
New Bars Installed... (pics attached)
03/07/12 at 09:05:23

So, I picked up some used 2001 HD FXDWG mini apes (Total width is about 33", and I think the total rise is about 10" or 11") and a pair of ISO-Grip knockoffs from eBay.

After sourcing a replacement clutch cable & throttle cable from LANCER, and another throttle cable from spacepirates (THANKS GUYS!!!) And ordering a new custom SS brake cable from eBay, I have it put back together. As mentioned in one of my previous threads, the stock throttle cable on my 2005 is the EXACT same length as the 2 throttle cables that I received from LANCER & spacepirates. (My bike was stock with the pullback risers and drag bars, where the bikes that their cables were from had short risers and pullback bars.) I re-routed the stock throttle cable and got it to work, but will be ordering a custom extended cable to make it fit better.

The wiring on the throttle side hand controls did not require any lengthening, but I did have to re-route them to make it work. On the clutch side I had to cut/splice in about 4" on each wire in that harness (Major PIA!!!)

Here are the results (quick pics I took with my phone just this morning)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: New Bars Installed... (pics attached)
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 09:42:36

I rode it for the first time on Monday with the new bars, and what a different feel  Shocked

Right now, I'm not 100% sure about how I feel about it. I think I might of had the bars tilted a little bit more forward that I should, so I have adjusted them back a little. It is comfortable when you are cruising along, but I'm not real confident with the riding into/out of corners with the taller bars yet. Something that I'm sure will come with some more time in the saddle.  Grin  One thing I did notice about the bar/grip position is, my mirrors are right where I want them. I don't feel like I have to look down and to the side to see what's behind me, the mirrors are right in the sweet spot  Grin

It sounds like I'm going to have to send my throttle cable to MotionPro to have them build one and it will cost me about $40-$50 but I will feel much more comfortable riding it with a cable that is the right length.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 10:45:03

I am not normally a fan of taller bars but it really seems to work with the overall look on your bike. Nice job!

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 20:47:49

I got almost the same effect on my '87, with stock buckhorns and 3" risers. All the cables are to the limit, but still work with no rerouting.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 03/08/12 at 06:21:44

Here's a couple more pics after riding it to work yesterday. I adjusted the bars back just slightly and it feels much more comfortable now  Smiley

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 03/19/12 at 08:49:13

Playing around with the cables again last night I decided to do some measuring and checking about how much longer I think I should get the throttle cable.

First of all, the Clutch cable that LANCER sold me was quite a bit longer than necessary, so I wonder what exactly he was going to put that cable on. It was 12" longer than the stock S40 w/drag bars and it has a straight connector at the clutch perch rather than the 90o bend. (Longer than necessary, but works great  Smiley)

Next, when I re-routed the Throttle cable again, I found that the older pullback cable that I had picked up from spacepirates actually reached a little bit better than the stock cable I was using. Side by side the cables are the exact same length, but the older cable has a 90o bend by the grip vs the 135o or so bend on the stock cable. I think I will be able to ride it with this cable for the time being, but I will still order a new 6" longer cable from MotionPro when funds are available.

Lastly, the brand new SS Brake Line that I installed is just barely long enough...I really should've ordered it about 2" longer just to give myself a little bit more slack, because right now when the forks are fully extended it is a straight line between the lever and the caliper. Good thing I don't like to do wheelies  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/22/12 at 09:01:20

Cables for a 10" rise? Piece of cake for the clutch, stock size VN700/750 from Motion Pro. Should be less than $30 out the door from any independent shop with a Parts Unlimited catalog.

I run 15" rise on my 98, VN800A +6 clutch cable and a Shovelhead era throttle cable I matched up from the Motion Pro bins at the indie shop I used to work at.

I find my bike steers better with the high bars than it ever did with stock buckhorns. You'll want to "pin" your riser caps to the bars, the extra leverage will pretty quickly strip the minimal amount of knurling from the risers. And then the bars will move. Drill through cap and bar top, insert roll pin or sheet metal screw. 5 minutes and $5 to prevent an unwelcomed incident.

Bike looks pretty good EJID.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 05/01/12 at 15:09:12

Not one to leave well enough along for very long, I started messing with the cables again the other day trying to re-route them a little better and I think I finally got them right.  Grin

Then I finally lubed the cables using this little trick http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237997098/1#top
I was AMAZED at the difference when I rode it again today. The cables that I had put on were in dire need of that lube. I didn't have any heavy weight lube oil, so I used what I had (an old partial bottle of some old SYN 10w-40 that I would never use again) It only took about 30min before it was dripping out the bottom and I cleaned it up. Still a couple more drops since then but almost nothing.

Before lubing the cables, the clutch had become so stiff that I started shifting w/o using the clutch because I was dreading pulling it in (it took that much force). After lubing it, I can pull it in with 1, maybe 2 fingers as easily as I can the brakes on my mountain bike!!! What a difference.

I guess my rant here is just that don't overlook lubing those cables, simple and easy, that made riding more enjoyable again.   Cool

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #8 - 05/02/12 at 10:14:38

Looks really good!  Makes me miss my bike alot. That is something I never got around to doing.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:26:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Bars Installed... (pics attached)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.