Send Topic Print
Motor orientation? (Read 173 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Motor orientation?
03/03/12 at 14:39:51

I know this may sound like a strange question,but . . . If you can't be strange here where can you?

Would there be any ill effects in operation to turning our little 650 engine 90 degrees around its vertical axis? You know, so the exhaust is on one of the sides instead of out the front. I'm sure the internals would be fine, I'm wondering about the air flow cooling and if it would suffer much if any.

I have his idea about using a 650 for an experimental build and would want to perhaps have some kind of a drive shaft set-up going straight back from the motor. If it could be engineered it seems like it might be an interesting approach to doing a home brew three wheeler mini-truck. Some kinda differential axle and a fella would be in business. Seems like it might be easier than building an axle with a belt or chain gear near the middle and then figuring out how to attach wheels to each end. Haven't even learned to weld yet so you can imagine the rest of my shop skills.

I have a shaft drive Suzuki 850 4 I could use but it's kind of a pig until it actually gets up to some speed. No low end torque at all. I kill it sometimes at a stop when I'm getting back used to it after the Sav. And since it's pretty easy working on the 650 . . .

Jack

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Motor orientation?
Reply #1 - 03/03/12 at 15:17:25

Weirdest question ever... Congratulations...

You'd probably want the output shaft facing rear,.. but, I think you'd get slightly better cooling with the camchain side at the rear...
Wouldn't matter much, unless you'll be idling a lot, like a parade vehicle...

... and I'm just guessing...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/03/12 at 16:28:35

Seems to me you're putting the cart before the horse.
I think I'd be looking for rear wheels and how it's done on other trikes 1st.  Then you'll know whether you need shaft drive or chain/belt drive.
There's a trike kit for the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/03/12 at 17:23:37

You should look at dwarf cars. They are scaled down '30s body style race cars that use 4 cyl. m/c engines turned sideways using a shaft drive to a modified Toyota pckup rear end. Some of them use radiator cooling fans to insure some air flow over the cylinders. I'm sure the same techniques could be used with any m/c engines. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/03/12 at 18:23:50

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 03/03/12 at 21:02:18

Strange question and yet you guys are knowing enough to not have to think long to come up with some ideas.

The only three wheel kits for the Sav I've seen are the ones you just back the bike into and bolt on. Not interested in three wheels on the back. Not even interested in three wheels just for the sake of having three. Could always dig up a VW or Corvair rear end and do that on a bigger scale.

What I'm interested in is something along the lines of what you can get in many Pacific rim countries and Europe. Stuff that for some reason we can't seem to get happening here at a reasonable price. You can spend big bucks and get some of the things like get used for shuttle rides in Key West and such, but I don't want to spend money that way. I do however have an urge to tinker a bit and play around. A small urban utility vehicle to putt around on, run errands and haul a hundred pounds of stuff  on occasion. Maybe turn a few heads from time to time.

How do they do three wheel bikes anyway? I've crawled around under the back of a few ATVs and seen basic differentials, drive shafts and the like. That's the way I've been thinking because you can stretch the body back there as you see fit to end up with some usable cargo space. I'm sure I would feel safer that way than with a trailer.

Thanks for humoring my flight of fancy for a bit.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/04/12 at 03:24:45

Jack,

If you are thinking 3 wheeler plan to use the front part of the frame and just modify from the swing arm on back.   Kits exist, plus you could mebbe weld up your own.

Yes, if you could pick one of these up with the motor trashed you could borrow the entire back end of it or plug the Savage motor into the existing frame.

http://www.saferwholesale.com/250cc-Road-Warrior-3-Wheeled-p/250cc%20road%20w...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/04/12 at 05:56:32

Yelvington Trikes (formally Trinity Trikes) makes a true trike kit for our bikes. I don't know if it is what you are looking for. http://yelvingtontrikes.com/roadster/savage/index.html

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 03/04/12 at 09:04:28

Jack_650 wrote on 03/03/12 at 21:02:18:
What I'm interested in is something along the lines of what you can get in many Pacific rim countries and Europe. Stuff that for some reason we can't seem to get happening here at a reasonable price. You can spend big bucks and get some of the things like get used for shuttle rides in Key West and such, but I don't want to spend money that way. I do however have an urge to tinker a bit and play around. A small urban utility vehicle to putt around on, run errands and haul a hundred pounds of stuff  on occasion. Maybe turn a few heads from time to time.

So, basically, a street-legal side-by-side ATV?

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/SubCategory.aspx?id=27

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 03/04/12 at 18:09:13

Nope. Not really. A one seat ride is just fine. Anything on this page would be cool, but down near the bottom of this page is sort of what I think I could design in a lighter weight form.

http://www.digitallydo.com/china/Design/ThreeWheelers/

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor orientation?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.