ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: synthetic oil?
Reply #60 - 02/28/12 at 15:36:04

SAE 10W-40:
is a premium, super multigrade that provides maximum protection in all seasons and can help extend engine life. SAE 10W-40 exceeds API service SM, SL, SJ and SH as well as exceeding the engine protection requirements for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

...... and on this side of no-man's land we have the latest contender in the endless oil war, dino based Castrol GTX in the dino 10w40 weight class.   Castrol has a long long American history of good car oils and the GTX is their bread and butter grade of automotive dino oil.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Retread, have we correctly identified your contender?   Have you got him all entrenched and dug in properly, with all your machine gun ammo and mortar supplies properly laid in?

Speak now,  so we can get the all right stuff installed for the coming discussions.

Watta ya say guys?  White jug Rotella dino as our contender?  
Spec on spec, service life, additive packages with purchase price as the final clincher?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #61 - 02/28/12 at 16:05:58

When you type in little tiny red fonts I usually almost miss it..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 02/28/12 at 16:23:36

No you don't miss it because it is a little 9 font and red colored, your eyes naturally gravitate to it as it contains the punch line, generally speaking.

Grin   Grin

Built2last, you said you liked Castrol GTX too, you all happy with this one "as shown" -- about ready to rest your rifle on it and to start the shoot'n?

Retread will surely appreciate the company in the home front trench with him, somebody to cover your back is always a good thing to have.   Bill will be off to the side somewhere, sniping right along with his one liners to lend you boys a hand (he flat hates a diesel anything, he does).

Are you ready to start shooting?   As new combatants, you guys get the first shot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #63 - 02/28/12 at 16:36:43

White jug Rottella it is!
Ladeeees and gentlemen, Welcome to the fight of the ceeentury! In this conaaaa, wieghing in at 10 w 40, is the middle weight woooorld champion... CASTROL GTX. In the othaaa conaaaa... wighing in at 10 w 40 is the contendaaaa WHITE JUG ROTELLA. (whistles, cheers, shouts etc etc)
This bout, in ten rounds, will decide the Suzuki Savage S40 all time best dino oil championship.
Gentlemen, I want a clean fight, no hitting below the belt, and no reference to Klotz. Now go back to your corners and come out fighting.
DING DING DING DING

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 02/28/12 at 16:55:50

I can tell you that Rotella would not be my choice in a diesel oil... Good old Amsoil 15-40 would be... Again, I really don't care what oil I use in a break in cycle, after I inspect at 200 miles I'll tell you how the cam lobes look..

You guys are just stirring a non-existent pot... Angry

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #65 - 02/28/12 at 16:58:34

Retread wrote on 02/28/12 at 16:55:50:
 I can tell you that Rotella would not be my choice in a diesel oil... Good old Amsoil 15-40 would be... Again, I really don't care what oil I use in a break in cycle, after I inspect at 200 miles I'll tell you how the cam lobes look..

You guys are just stirring a non-existent pot... Angry  

This pot is stirred frequently here. Its all in fun. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #66 - 02/28/12 at 17:02:31

arteacher wrote on 02/28/12 at 16:36:43:
Ladeeees and gentlemen, Welcome to the fight of the ceeentury! In this conaaaa, wieghing in at 10 w 40, is the middle weight woooorld champion... CASTROL GTX. In the othaaa conaaaa... wighing in at 10 w 40 is the contendaaaa WHITE JUG ROTELLA. (whistles, cheers, shouts etc etc)
This bout, in ten rounds, will decide the Suzuki Savage S40 all time best dino oil championship.
Gentlemen, I want a clean fight, no hitting below the belt, and no reference to Klotz. Now go back to your corners and come out fighting.
DING DING DING DING

The Ali of oils in the black jug KLOTZ is the winner.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 02/28/12 at 17:02:35

Ok then, I'm going to change to Amsoil after 200 miles... There, now you will all have to go to the Royal Purple/Redline/Amsoil wars.... Grin

This is your first shot in an oil war?    

Are you French by any chance?

« Last Edit: 02/28/12 at 18:44:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #68 - 02/28/12 at 17:05:08

bill67 wrote on 02/28/12 at 17:02:31:
arteacher wrote on 02/28/12 at 16:36:43:
DING DING DING DING

The Ali of oils in the black jug KLOTZ is the winner.

FOUL!! FOUL!! AGAINST THE RULES!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 02/28/12 at 18:37:22

Here here now, Bill cheat?   Surely you jest -- according to Billshooter we (everybody else) are the cheaters and the liars.

Castrol took a little heat from when GTX stopped being good for flat tappet engines back when SM grades took effect (we are now working on the SN grade changeover, BTW) but they documented a solution for flat tappet engines as follows:

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended grade and API specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Unfortunately we do not have a recommendation for a 1980 Ferrari 308gtsi as requested below. We would recommend contacting your OEM (Original Engine Manufacturer)for further assistance in obtaining the correct oil for your vehicle.

With regard to ZDDP issues, the API SM/ILSAC GF-4 engine oil category calls for reduced Zinc and Phosphorus levels to allow extended catalyst life in current model vehicles. There appear to be field issues associated with the SM/GF-4 oil's level of anti-wear in the classic car engines known as flat tappet cam engines. The current late model passenger car engines are not flat tappet cam engines and have no reported field issues related to the level of anti-wear chemistry in the SM/GF-4 oils.

Castrol SYNTEC 20W-50 classic car formulation is being replaced by Castrol Edge with SYNTEC Power Technology in the 5W-50 viscosity grade. The 5W-50 grade will also be specially formulated for classic car use and will adopt the 20W-50 claims – designed for use in classic cars. The 5W-50 formulation will contain more zinc additives than the 20W-50 and will also enhance start up ability in cold temperatures as well as enable better fuel economy* *Compared to SAE 20W-50.

Again, we do recommend contacting Ferrari for a specific product recommendation for your vehicle.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations
1-800-462-0835

Now if you punch Castrol Classic Car Formulation into your web browser you will see that Castrol freely admits their GTX oil isn't for flat tappet engines any more and you should use this stuff instead.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentI...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 02/28/12 at 19:10:31

No way will I use another synthetic (being a Amsoil dealer), so you won... Now, speaking from experience, I dare you to poke fun at a  French Legionaire to his face...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 02/28/12 at 19:10:57

I thought this was supposed to be a clean fight?
dino vs olive oil.

ok, ok... we gotta let bill play too.  marques of queensburry rules.

state your miles with your preferred oil w/o major repair.
upgrades, cam chain and oil leaks don't count.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 02/28/12 at 19:52:44

Many of the Foreign Legion folks weren't French and the Foreign Legion was forbidden to fight in "domestic" French wars.

Anywhoo  .... I hadn't even shot at you yet.   Castrol Classic Car oil has slippery stuff in it that will kill clutches (carries no JASO rating whatsoever) so it isn't really a solution at all.  

Castrol Europe has come out with a Castrol Bike Only Oil that looks like this that you can buy mail order at the Motorcycle Superstore.

However, they won't state the ZDDP levels, etc etc --- they just say it is good for wet clutches.  

No claims for flat tappet use at all.   Zip.  Nada.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Do you begin to get the Catch 22 that the Savage is in ???   We have antique flat tappets AND a wet clutch --- very very few motors like that any more.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 02/28/12 at 20:16:10

So, whut do ya do to get some proper oil in your Savage?

Pick a JASO MA/MA2 rated wet clutch approved motorcycle oil that has 1200 ppm of ZDDP in it.

Heck, you can find the stuff all over the place at bike shops and such for $9 to $13 a quart -- all day long you can shell out them sheckles and buy the pricey correct bike rated stuff.

Or you can go diesel .....

(Bill jest loves this part)

Diesel oils like white jug Rotella dino 15w40 have 1200 PPM of ZDDP along with a terrific detergent and surfactant package that can go 100,000 miles between oil changes in a 20:1 compression supercharged diesel engine.

And to finalize Bill's insult and injury --- Rotella has the full approval of the Japanese Standards Organization and has been awarded both JASO MA and MA2 ratings !!!   Rotella is good for ANY motorcycle engine any generation with or without a catalytic converter .....

Now, a little salt sprinkled on Bill's aching boo boos

White jug Rotella Dino costs a lot less per quart than the Castrol GTX that we started out warring with.

To make it REALLY REALLY sting really really bad, Blue jug Rotella T6 full synthetic costs less per quart than the Castrol GTX that we started out warring against.

And Blue Jug Rotella T6 beat Bill's $13 a quart Klotz in a data driven comparison in a Savage engine right here on the list .....

(more than once, too)

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 02/28/12 at 21:40:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/28/12 at 20:16:10:

So, whut do ya do to get some proper oil in your Savage?

Pick a JASO MA/MA2 rated wet clutch approved motorcycle oil that has 1200 ppm of ZDDP in it.

Heck, you can find the stuff all over the place at bike shops and such for $9 to $13 a quart -- all day long you can shell out them sheckles and buy the pricey correct bike rated stuff.

Or you can go diesel .....

(Bill jest loves this part)

Diesel oils like white jug Rotella dino 15w40 have 1200 PPM of ZDDP along with a terrific detergent and surfactant package that can go 100,000 miles between oil changes in a 20:1 compression supercharged diesel engine.

And to finalize Bill's insult and injury --- Rotella has the full approval of the Japanese Standards Organization and has been awarded both JASO MA and MA2 ratings !!!   Rotella is good for ANY motorcycle engine any generation with or without a catalytic converter .....

Now, a little salt sprinkled on Bill's aching boo boos

White jug Rotella Dino costs a lot less per quart than the Castrol GTX that we started out warring with.

To make it REALLY REALLY sting really really bad, Blue jug Rotella T6 full synthetic costs less per quart than the Castrol GTX that we started out warring against.

And Blue Jug Rotella T6 beat Bill's $13 a quart Klotz in a data driven comparison in a Savage engine right here on the list .....

(more than once, too)

Wink

I think not... If your gonna use a Rotella dino oil (white jug T1?) 100K without a change in a heavy duty diesel engine, your gonna have a piece of junk after that 100K.... You may like that Rotty oil, but it aint that good... Cool

The Leigion fought in Nam, many of them settled there after the French had enough sense to get out.. Like I say, you just wouldn't say that to their face... Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › synthetic oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.