Send Topic Print
synthetic oil? (Read 1868 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: synthetic oil?
Reply #135 - 03/02/12 at 16:17:37

Rotella group 3 not a real synthetic oil   Klotz group 5 real synthetic oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #136 - 03/02/12 at 16:37:42

Hey Bill, see what you can misconstrue out of this one ....  

Grin  Me, I think running the same oil base as Lamborghini and Ferrari use in their formula 1 race cars is "A-OK" by my book.    

But it isn't dyed red, so it isn't good enough for Bill.

source:  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1367272

quote:  

"It is true that ROTELLA T Synthetic is Group III (not PAO) based, but you must keep in mind that not all Group III base oils are created equal. ROTELLA T Synthetic is made with Shell's XHVI base oil, which unlike other Group IIIs does not begin as distilled crude oil, hence of all Group III base oils, XHVI is truly the only one that can legitimately be called "synthetic." XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning that it is made from the slack wax removed from distilled crude in normal solvent dewaxing. This slack wax is catalytically transformed (isomerized) and hydrofinished into a chemically pure base oil which rivals PAO in virtually every category. There are other "synthetic" oils out there based on Group III, but Shell's is unique in that it uses XHVI base oil. Chevron and Petro-Canada produce Group III base oils that come close to XHVI, but even though these oils are all hydroprocessed and utilize the same type of isomerization technology employed in the making of XHVI, they are not the same thing. Only XHVI is made from pure petroleum slack wax and its CAS number is 92026-09-4. The CAS number for the more typical all-hydroprocessed Group III base oils is 64742-54-7. If you want to know what your "synthetic" oil is made from, take a look at the MSDS and look for these numbers. (The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4).

In brief, don't be so quick to dismiss Rotella T Synthetic as just another "synthetic pretender." It's made with the same base oil as Shell's Helix Ultra, and everytime you see Ferrari win a Formula 1 race, that's the oil in the engine."

Guy's, my secret is out -- I use Ferrari/Lamborgini magic in my sump, which is why I can beat all them various various vehicles up there in the mountains.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #137 - 03/02/12 at 17:21:49

OF if you like shell you should be using helix Ultra that would get you one step closer to Klotz.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #138 - 03/02/12 at 17:26:18

Bill,  are ya sure you want to claim Klotz is a group 5 oil?  
That's the "Special Olympics Group -- we ain't really sure what it is or what it's good for" oil classification ....

Group III Hydroprocessing and Refining:
Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oil products have become more common in America during the past decade. Examples of Gr. III oils are Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc

Group IV = Chemical Reactions( All polyalphaolefins-PAOs ):
Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) are a common example of a synthetic base stock. Synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications. Examples of Gr. IV PAO's are Amsoil entire line except for their XL oils and the PCO Synthetic Blend diesel, Red Line and Royal Purple.  

And by definition the chemically engineered oils produced by chemically catalyzing & reacting a group III fully refined slack wax into a superior class of mono-molecule shear and heat resistant full synthetic oil such as Rotella T6, Shell Helix Ultra and the Ferrari/Lamborgini Formula 1 racing oils)  

Alias  "the good stuff"

Group V = All others not included in Groups I, II, III or IV (Esters):
Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils exhibit a wide variety of properties specific to each individual oil's formulation. Group V base oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.

Includes all the miscellanious red "magical oils" such as Klotz and Pixie Power Plus but with the noted exception of Marvel Mystery Oil which is not oil at all, but a mix of kerosene and naptha with a red #2 added for some mysterious reason or another.

Sorry guys, I wuz jest pokin' at Bill some so he won't get all ignored & lonely.  Whut is blue is true, whut is red is mostly true but is carefully doctored with some extra nettles and rock salt jest fer Bill to choke down dry ....

Gotta have us some fun, occasionally ...     Cheesy

« Last Edit: 03/04/12 at 15:20:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #139 - 03/09/12 at 05:38:30

klotz schmotz.  Rotella is the best lube for aircooled motorcycles available.  The fact it is so cheap is nice, too.  I'm getting ready for the trip to Daytona,... just changed the oil.  hmmmm, I think I used Rotella.

Yup,..

Sure did.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #140 - 03/09/12 at 05:47:47

You finally got something right,Rotella is cheap.So are Macdonald hamburgers.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #141 - 03/09/12 at 07:15:29

I'm changing to KY jelly, the only lube I'm sure of anymore...... Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #142 - 03/09/12 at 08:59:07

Retread wrote on 03/09/12 at 07:15:29:

Hmmm, it DOES work well in certain circumstances.
However, I do prefer KY Silk.  
  Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #143 - 03/09/12 at 11:57:08

Let's see ....     Bill has gone and done made a correct analogy that Rotella is inexpensive and good, like McDonalds is inexpensive and good.

Lots & lots of people eat at Greasy Mac's every day because it is readily available, inexpensive and good.  (just like the Rotella oil products are readily available, inexpensive and good)   I eat there, you eat there, we all eat there, so we all understand the analogy Bill has made.   Rotella is the Big Mac of motorcycle oils ....

What Bill needs from us is a little help on the other side of the analogy.   If Rotella is equal to McDonalds, then Klotz is equal to ....?

(hint: what sort of food type do you generally have to mail order, that is ridiculously expensive and that you never can find anywhere in your local town?)

Nutra system?    Jenny Craig?    Tofurky®?  

Grin    Tofurky® = a fake turkey made from tofu (processed soy bean curds)

What other types of mail order food meet Bill's analogy?

======================

Since Bill seems to be heading towards losing this oil war too, we need to start talking about executing his sentence from the last oil wars that he lost.

How about we rename his list name to  Tofurky® in remembrance of this and the prior oil wars.

« Last Edit: 03/09/12 at 14:18:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 03/09/12 at 13:40:08

Now,  to get that ugly ugly mental image of tofurky's bald head
all roasted brown and sliced up on a plate
from out of your personal private mind's eye ...

Rotella T6, alias the good stuff (as denoted by Bill hisself)

Play through this video 2-3 times until the smell and sight and thought of whatever it was that little black & white kitty cat was planning to do to tofurky's hot sliced brain leaves your mind completely and forever ......

« Last Edit: 03/09/12 at 17:22:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #145 - 03/09/12 at 15:41:28

LANCER wrote on 03/09/12 at 08:59:07:
Retread wrote on 03/09/12 at 07:15:29:

Hmmm, it DOES work well in certain circumstances.
However, I do prefer KY Silk.  
  Cool

I am not going to start a KY fight!!!!!  Shocked

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #146 - 03/09/12 at 15:53:06

mmmmm?    ..... and Retread, what circumstances might that be ????

(curious minds might NOT want to know)

Grin    glad I'm on the opposite side of the no-man's land from this one ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #147 - 03/09/12 at 16:12:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/09/12 at 13:40:08:
whatever it was that little black & white kitty cat was planning to do to tofurky's hot sliced brain leaves your mind completely and forever ......

I don't think that cat would even touch that tofu turkey crap...

« Last Edit: 03/09/12 at 17:23:01 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #148 - 03/09/12 at 16:27:19

Upon request this post has been sanitized with Clorox and Ajax

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #149 - 03/09/12 at 17:00:30

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/09/12 at 16:27:19:

The other video of it shows the cats playing with it after they knocked the platter off on the floor and were playing with it.

(the black & white cat wouldn't even try to taste it -- he thought it was a rubber toy or something)

Anyhow, he had him a rounded outer rind slice that landed flat part up and he and the other cat was pouncing on it, batting it and dragging it around and growling at it,  then the black & white hooked the flat side of the slice with his claws and flipped it over.

The other side was all browned & wrinkled and flat-smushed from being on the bottom of the pan and all but you could tell it was nameless's face .... un-mistake-ably him all around the nose and eyebrows ....

(it was really really gross, made the poor cat wretch and run away)

Be nice...no personal stuff        ok, I sanitized it with some Clorox and Ajax -- didn't make him look any prettier, believe me

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › synthetic oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.