Clutch Cable? (Read 135 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Clutch Cable?
02/19/12 at 15:40:08

OK, I thought this would be super simple, but I can't figure out how to get the blasted clutch cable off of the arm on the tranny  Angry

It looks like I have to bend the clip to slide out the old cable and then bend it back, but I don't want to risk breaking that little clip, so maybe someone here has a better idea.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Clutch Cable?
Reply #1 - 02/19/12 at 16:42:05

gotta' bend it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 16:53:17

OK, Bot, if you say so, but if it breaks, I'm takin it outta your hide  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/19/12 at 17:17:06

I'm takin it outta your hide.

Ohhh I so wish you hadnt said that. He's a masochist, you know,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 02/19/12 at 17:20:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/19/12 at 17:17:06:
I'm takin it outta your hide.

Ohhh I so wish you hadnt said that. He's a masochist, you know,,

Gotta be to wear a FF helmet in an AZ summer. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/19/12 at 17:31:40

Ive been waitin on you guys to wake up to the obvious. The boys twisted I tell ya,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/19/12 at 17:42:49

Sure,... just pretend I'm not even here... Huh...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 02/20/12 at 07:27:51

Well, what do you know? The Bot knows his stuff  Grin pried it open and changed out the cable.

With my 1,000th post I will leave it to some praise.  Cool

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 02/20/12 at 07:30:58

Now that we got past that...with the adjusters turned all the way in, my clutch now does not have any free play like it did before  Embarrassed

How detrimental might this be if I don't have any free play in the clutch lever?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/20/12 at 07:40:23

It can cause clutch slippage

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 02/20/12 at 07:51:42

... and burn out yer' clutch...  
Gotta' have free play,.. better too much than too little...
As long as the bike don't creep forward in gear...

Set your bar lever adjuster to mid-way adjust, then adjust at the case 'till the lever has some play...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 02/20/12 at 08:02:38

Serowbot wrote on 02/20/12 at 07:51:42:
Set your bar lever adjuster to mid-way adjust, then adjust at the case 'till the lever has some play...

Bar lever adjuster is reduced all the way, and adjuster at the case is adjusted all the way and still no play in the cable at all  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/20/12 at 08:08:05

Shrinkage????... Huh...

You must have a bad bend in the cable somewhere?...  
Is the cable nipples fully seated in the adjusters?...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 02/20/12 at 09:24:51

Serowbot wrote on 02/20/12 at 08:08:05:
Shrinkage????... Huh...

You must have a bad bend in the cable somewhere?...  
Is the cable nipples fully seated in the adjusters?...

New clutch cable I got from Lancer. He said it was for a older Savage (pre-2005) with pullback bars. (I am switching from stock drag bars on my 05 to mini-apes off a HD)

Cables are fully seated, I even took off the big locking knurled nut by the lever trying to save an extra 1/4" or so, but still too tight.

I think I will have to pull the cable back off and compare it side by side with the stock cable. Maybe this cable has a shorter amount of slack between the cable casing and the inner cable length. (I REALLY hope that bending that little clip again isn't going to break it)

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 03/03/12 at 18:33:13

Just an update...

I pulled the new to me clutch cable back off and compared it to the stock cable. Paying close attention to the total cable exposed length when the cable is pulled all the way in one direction. It looks like they have the exact same amount of free play from the end of the sheath to the end of the barrel on the cable.  Huh Then I notice that the new cable has a funky looking adjuster nut / jam nut combination vs the stock cable at the end that attaches to the transmission. Swap the adjuster nut / jam nut from the stock cable to the new cable and reinstall the cable. VOILA!!! I have free play in my new clutch cable again even after I reinstalled the adjuster nut that goes by the handle.  Smiley

(that funky adjuster nut added about 1/2" which is more than I could take up in the other adjustment methods)

On the other hand, I have proof sitting in front of me that the stock throttle cable from a 2005 S40 with drag bars is EXACTLY the same length as the 2 other throttle cables I got from other members that were from older bikes with pullback bars. So, it looks like I am still going to have to order a new extended throttle cable before I can get it back on the road.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:29:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.