Send Topic Print
Rear tire Scuff (Read 145 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Rear tire Scuff
02/27/12 at 14:12:11

PO semi-permanently installed saddlebags over OEM 'bag guards. Removal of the 'bags reveals a problem they'd obscured: the tire is evidently rubbing against the guard mount bolts, enough to have shaved a few hundredths off the ridge where tread meets sidewall. (FWIW, that tire is a Dunlop (D404) 140/90 70H, also put there by the PO at less than 1300 miles (?)).

I tried searching the forum for similar reports, haven't found anything. So - why would this contact be occuring? There isn't much space in that neighborhood, of course, but evidently others using these guards haven't had any problem. Were longer, non stock bolts used to accomodate the guards? Is something else amiss?

Thanks, and if I can be more vague, just let me know...

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Rear tire Scuff
Reply #1 - 02/27/12 at 14:19:48

Isn't the stock size tire narrower?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 02/27/12 at 14:25:29

1/4" longer bolts are used to accommodate the guards. Stock tire size for the rear is 140/80-15, so there's your problem. Round head bolts might solve the problem, or you could counter sink the guards to accommodate flat head bolts, if you want to keep the oversized tire.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #3 - 02/27/12 at 15:30:06

darn it! MotoBudda and arteacher are both right. I just (re)checked the owner's manual, which I was evidently incapable of reading correctly yesterday, and, indeed, the stocker is 140/80. Those 10mm are important! I'll start working on Plan B.

But that brings up a point: What effect, if any, would the wider tire have on handling?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/27/12 at 17:57:25

Right up till the bolt heads eat thru, not much..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/27/12 at 20:36:44

Do two things.  First, replace the mounting bolts with stainless mushroom head allen bolts.  Next, raise your shock presets.  That's all you really need to do.  My Dunlop 491 is the same size.  I did the same.  Later I put 12.5” Progressive shocks on and it has all kinds of clearance now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 02/29/12 at 11:15:02

Savage_Rob wrote on 02/27/12 at 20:36:44:
Do two things.  First, replace the mounting bolts with stainless mushroom head allen bolts.  

Or get out the grinder and shorten the bolts he has.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 03/01/12 at 19:31:56

Arizuno wrote on 02/27/12 at 15:30:06:
darn it! MotoBudda and arteacher are both right. I just (re)checked the owner's manual, which I was evidently incapable of reading correctly yesterday, and, indeed, the stocker is 140/80. Those 10mm are important! I'll start working on Plan B.

But that brings up a point: What effect, if any, would the wider tire have on handling?

Actually the 10mm difference is in the aspect ratio, which means that the sidewall height is 90% of the tread width. Many on here run 140mm (section width) 90 (aspect ratio) 15 (rim size) tires with no problems or alterations. The most reported problem is rubbing the bolt heads holding the sissy bar brackets. Serowbot also says running the taller tire helps correct an optomistic speedometer. Check to see that your belt guard is on straight and your tire is lined up right. Something is definitely wrong, but I doubt tire size is the problem.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/02/12 at 08:52:30

It is the size.  The stock tire barely cleared with the saddlebag supports installed.  The Dunlop 404 or 491 will rub slightly on the left side.  If the saddlebag supports are removed, it will not rub.  Otherwise, switching the bolts to mushroom-head allen bolts (I prefer stainless) allows it to barely clear but raising the shock preset helps a bit more.  You could take MotoBuddha's suggestion and grind down the heads of the bolts but I already hate getting a wrench on these while the tire is on.  The thinner grip surface would just piss me off.  I went with the mushroom-head allens and they're fairly easy to access.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear tire Scuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.