Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't run at idle... (Read 164 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Won't run at idle...
02/18/12 at 07:55:44

I pulled the bike out of the garage yesterday, it had been sitting for maybe 2 months. Bike ran flawlessly when I stored it. I installed a new battery and started her up. She ran fine for the first, ohhh, 10 seconds. Then began to sputter and die. The bike won't stay running at idle. I have to either hold the throttle open or keep gooseing it. You can ride the bike around, as long as its under load it will stay running. But as soon as you let off the gas it will die.

I have a raptor petcock installed so rule that one out...

My first guess is dirty carb? I'm going to pull it and clean it today, I'm just surprised it could get dirty in that short of a period. Last winter I left it in a similar garage for 5 months and it started right up when I pulled it out.

Ideas?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Won't run at idle...
Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 09:15:16

Yup,.. clogged jets...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #2 - 02/18/12 at 09:29:50

Whats the best way to go about cleaning a jet? I have Sea Foam, or should I pick up carb cleaner? I don't really want to get a 15 oz can of cleaner for a single jet... Granted I suppose it could be useful down the road.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 09:59:03

Best way,.. pull the floatbowl, pull the jet, and run a guitar string or thin wire of some kind through the jet orifice... might as well do the main as well as the piot while you're in there...
Then, spray some carb cleaner up into the jet seats... Cheapy stuff is as good as any... Pull the air cleaner and spray some into the carb from there to lube the slide as well...
If you haven't already,.. replace the floatbowl screws with allen heads... makes the job much easier next time...
Wink...

Some folks will say, "just put some Seafoam in the tank", but you will never be sure the jets aren't still partially clogged,.. and that will make you lean.  Pull it, clean it,.. and you know for sure...
Seafoam or other additives have never worked for me...
Maybe as a preventative, but not a fix... waste of money in my book...

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 10:40:41

After you get it running, the next time you store it, drain the Etnonal enriched gas! Ethonal gas attracts water from the air. Sea Foam will not remove the crud left over from ethonal. The problem is esspecially bad with small outboards with thier small passages.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 14:24:35

Well I opened the bowl up. I replaced the jets in there with new versions of the same size and sprayed carb cleaner in the recesses where they set. I also cleaned out the bowl. Put it back together, tried to start it, nothing.

Checked the spark plug, looked fine other than running a little rich, tried to start it again, nothing.

This is sol odd, as the bike ran fine when I put it away and has never had a hitch. IDK where to go from here.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/18/12 at 14:45:49

Sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem...
Question...   You have a Raptor,... is the vacuum port on the right side of the carb blocked off?... or has the rubber plug you have installed there rotted?..

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #7 - 02/18/12 at 16:06:18

I put a wooden doll rod in there. It still appears to be atight fit...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 02/18/12 at 17:24:05

Dead cat in air filter?...

I'm getting desperate here...Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/18/12 at 17:33:14

Wake51 wrote on 02/18/12 at 16:06:18:
I put a wooden doll rod in there. It still appears to be atight fit...

Huhh? You put Pinocchio's rod Where?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 02/18/12 at 17:59:23

Wake51 wrote on 02/18/12 at 14:24:35:
Well I opened the bowl up. I replaced the jets in there with new versions of the same size and sprayed carb cleaner in the recesses where they set. I also cleaned out the bowl. Put it back together, tried to start it, nothing.

Checked the spark plug, looked fine other than running a little rich, tried to start it again, nothing.

This is sol odd, as the bike ran fine when I put it away and has never had a hitch. IDK where to go from here.

Tell us how much crud was in the bowl from ethanol. Ok, some of know the ethanol does not leave any crud, or anything else that does any harm. But what was in the bottom of the bowl ? It was probably there before,..... because you don't have an external fuel filter.
You will have to do like Serro said, run a fine wire thru the idle passages, then blow out w/ compressed air,......even if you have to R&R the carb to do it.
Then install an inline fuel filter to complete the job.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #11 - 02/19/12 at 00:50:31

Well I pulled the carb. I took the bowl and top off and gave it a scrubbing. I also shot carb cleaner into all the passeges. Installed a fresh main and pilot.

Something to note, i tried to fix the plug leak. The plug was successful, but I got a bad seal with the black sealent on the spark plug side of the valve cover and it leaks a little bit. Ran fine with that, but could that cause complications?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/19/12 at 02:18:50

what jets are in it and is the white spacer there or replaced/modified ?

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #13 - 02/19/12 at 09:35:53

152.5 main 55 w/ bleed holes pilot. The white spacer is unmodified or at least to my knowledge. The plug indicated the bike was running rich, a bit on the dark side but no build up.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #14 - 02/19/12 at 13:49:13

You guys are going to hate me. When I checked the spark plug the first time I only checked on looks. It's a fairly new NGK Iridium plug. Retested it today and this time checked for a spark. No spark... Swapped the plug it started right up. Now I just need to re-tune with all the fiddling I did.

Never forget to check the small things no matter how obvious...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't run at idle...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.