Send Topic Print
Restoration Project (Read 116 times)
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Restoration Project
02/08/12 at 16:21:12

Hello fellow thumper enthusiasts. I recently bought an 87' savage  for 800 bucks (from a friend) seems like it needs a little bit of work. I'll get into the details and post some pictures later. Glad to finally join in. I'm a first timer to the mechanic scene with low funds so it may take a short while to get started. Thanks guys!

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Restoration Project
Reply #1 - 02/09/12 at 06:06:15

Welcome!  Good choices.  The Savage is a great bike and this is a great site with a lot of great folks!

Below is a partial quote of a comment from Verslagen1 to another recent new member with an older Savage.  This is also good info for you.

verslagen1 wrote on 02/04/12 at 15:54:05:
just a couple of things to be aware of...

cam chain adjuster and engine kickback on shutdown.

the cam chain adjuster can fall apart if you let the cam chain stretch too far.  The maintenance manual calls for retorqueing the head bolts every 5k miles, but no one does that (well almost no one) and so the cam chain never gets checked either.  I recommend you check it before too long.  see http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

engine kickback on shutdown is a problem they solved in '95 when they added the torque limiter for the starter.  What happens is when you shut off the engine will spin down, ocassionally it will stop on the compression stroke and spin backward.  If it spins backward enough it can engage the starter clutch and try to drive it.  but it can't so it will break out the case.  But I have a fix for that.  see  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #2 - 02/09/12 at 20:58:45

Thanks a bunch Rob. Just got around to checking the little machine out earlier today. She's got a hefty sum of mileage. Starts up good with mild backfire. I think the battery's about to go though. Seems like she may have some trouble starting up in 1st gear, not sure what that's all about. Anyway I should be able to get a little more in-depth this weekend. Looks like this old girl is going to teach me a lot. Happy Might have to find me a teammate with some fancy tools. xD

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/10/12 at 08:03:28

Doug wrote on 02/09/12 at 20:58:45:
Might have to find me a teammate with some fancy tools. xD

Post your location and see who's in the area.  One good thing about the Savage is she doesn't require much in the way of fancy tools.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Restoration Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.