Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help! savage newbie carb question (Read 123 times)
lividias
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chattanooga, TN
help! savage newbie carb question
01/27/12 at 21:46:57

I just bought a 1986 savage and have noticed while trying to fix this back firing issue that I may be missing a hose or 2. The new nipples that I expect should have hoses are on opposite sides of the Carb in almost the same location just opposite sides of the Carb. I found an illustration that shows one but it won't allow me to post it since I am new if it allows the pic I posted it looks to connect to line 39 . The other is in the almost exact location on the other side of the Carb. Can anyone tell me where these are supposed to connect and what harm they are doind disconnected? Please any help would be appreciated. If u can't view the image they are high on the Carb at the rear facing rearward. Thank you and if there are any savage owners near the Chattanooga are give me a shout. 423-582-1266. If I don't answer a text will usually come thru when service is too crappy for calls. Thank you so much, chris.

Image.gif
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: help! savage newbie carb question
Reply #1 - 01/27/12 at 22:02:42

They are vents for the float area, there are two of them, they are twisted tied to the frame rail inside the gas tank and they are supposed to be open on one end.

Likely what you found is perfectly normal .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/27/12 at 23:45:56

&thinking somethings wrong?

Also, nerfectly pormal..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/28/12 at 09:14:15

It'sa lika' dis'...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/28/12 at 09:28:34

open end of those tubes need to be higher than the carb!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
lividias
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chattanooga, TN
Reply #5 - 01/28/12 at 10:05:16

That was my next question because yesterday which was the first time I ever used the choke I had fuel coming out of them, after it ran a bit it stopped but yes was the first day my bike had running problems, ir spit and sputtered under any kind of acceleration and eventually died, I got it restarted after running my battery nearly dead, it sputtered and popped (backfired) some more until finally guess it cleared itself out and ran fine. Any suggestions? The whole trip may have been 3 miles tops and I never got over 50 so. My guess is today it will start and run fine assuming I don't use the choke but who knows...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/28/12 at 10:26:09

Livid,... very important,.. do this test...  It'll likely be your problem...
Very common...
Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/28/12 at 10:29:55

Float is sticking, take a plastic screwdriver and rap the side of the carb a couple of times.

put an ounce or two of seafoam in the tank.

what jets are you running that you never have to run it on choke?

WWW   IP Logged
lividias
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chattanooga, TN
Reply #8 - 01/28/12 at 10:53:16

I just bought the bike and the choke will not stay pulled out so I just sit with the bike until it got warm onough to idle or idled it up slightly til it is warm. It was probably very stupid of me but I wrapped a small rubberbeand around the choke and used it to allow me to but the choke in open or closed position. It worked great as far as starting and warming the bike but when I road it I had sputtering trouble etc. Seemed to run great by the time I got it back to the house Las night. I'm fixing to go buy the lines the Carb is missing now at auto one, my local Suzuki all in one shop said they are prob pretty close to 1/4 in but couldn't tell me for sure. As far as jets I have no clue, I was getting ready to do the back firing fixes listed on here assuming I can find the spacer and needle and I've looked and looked but have no brass plug. I do have a maybe 3/4 in deep hole with a small flatheaded brass screw in it on the high right side of my Carb. Guessing that is it. Also planned to replace the spark plug today too. This is why I asked if there was anyone local around. I know very little about bikes period but am maintenance inclined and learn quickly lets just hope I can get this right lol thank you all for the help and I'll check back here as often as possible

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #9 - 01/28/12 at 11:04:14

What Verslagen1 said.  I was out riding on my 2011 yesterday with only 1100 miles on it and, while filling it up, started draining all over the ground.  Took the mini flashlight from my pocket and rapped the carb several times.  Stopped leaking right away.  So doesn't have to be old or worn out to happen.  This solution-trick is old though and a proven one as many including me have found out.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 01/30/12 at 04:23:25

A good fuel filter tween tank and carb would probably illiminate 99.9% of all carb problems. The one in the tank is not fine enuff.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 18:40:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help! savage newbie carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.