Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler connection leak. (Read 219 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Dyna Muffler connection leak.
01/26/12 at 13:17:19

So I swapped my stock muffler with a Harley Dyna.  I'm getting backfire when I switch gears.  The bike will also stall out.  The gasket on the header is good but I noticed when I hold a flame to the exhaust connection it blows out from the bikes side.  I carefully passed my finger by and theres definitely exhaust leak.

I can only figure this as the most obvious reason for backfire and stallout.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this connection better?  I'm not really sure what to do next.

As for rejetting, I was told I wouldn't need to rejet with this Dyna, is that true?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Smiley

exhaust_connection.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dyna Muffler connection leak.
Reply #1 - 01/26/12 at 13:43:09

a leaky header will definitely cause a bf at shift.   Cool

check that you have the header bolts properly torqued (up to 20 ftlbs)
Then maybe loosen the muff clamp... maybe you'll have to remove it... and retorque the header.  It's possible you have it out of position and it won't seat.

WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #2 - 01/26/12 at 14:02:56

You could also grab a tube of exhaust leak sealer.  Like silicone, but hardens up tight under heat.  Doesn't look pretty, but smear it liberally around the joint and leave it overnight and it'll stop the leak.  Grab a chrome heat shield for the joint and it'll cover up the goop nicely.  I't doesn't lend itself to easy muffler swaps, though, as it's a pain to remove after it hardens up.  You can chip it off, but it takes a bit of time.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/26/12 at 14:26:34

I just found an EMGO muffler Reducer. It will reduce your muffler's ID from 1 3/4 to 1 5/8 , 1 1/2 or 1 3/8 if needed. I haven't gotten a chance to measure the ID of the Dyna and the OD of the header pipe. Has anyone got those measurements? I hope it works, then I won't have to hound Routy, for he has enough work on his hands.

IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 01/26/12 at 14:51:13

I checked the header gasket for leaks and there is none. Put a candle next to it and it was fine. I put the candle around the muffler/exhaust joint and it blew out.

I found the old interconnect gasket inside the old 650 muffler and pulled it out.  I'm thinking of ordering it and a better clamp to try to put them together.  The reducer sounds like a good plan too.  I might just order all the parts and see what works best.

It's probably worth the investment since I need the bike back on the road.

Thanks for the reducer tip.  I hope the best.
Smiley

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 01/26/12 at 14:56:36

If you find the leak is definately at the head pipe to muffler connection, use Serowbots tin can method of sealing, don't even bother with that muffler sealant paste crap...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 01/26/12 at 15:00:59

Here's the link to Serowbot's guide... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

On a side note, did anyone else notice that he just attached a pic to this website rather than a 3rd party? Finally looks like our Administrator has been able to make some changes to the space available.  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #7 - 01/26/12 at 15:05:07

I did use Serowbots method.  I did exactly as instructed.  I even made the 8 cuts into the Dyna intake end.  The problem is that it's not creating a flat clamp over the header because of the diameter and it's not sliding in far enough to get a full grip over the header.  I had to put the seal on the outside to cover the cuts I made too.  I'm new at this and apparently for the sunniest city in the US (SD), they don't have many motorcycle part stores.

I'm opting for the reducer and a different clamp.  I'm hoping it will do the trick.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 01/26/12 at 15:14:23

Sorry it's not workin' for ya', Ocean...  
the muffler does need to slide all the way home...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #9 - 01/26/12 at 15:21:44

Serowbot wrote on 01/26/12 at 15:14:23:

Could you post the pic of your finished product? I'd like to see what it looks like just to get an idea.  The one on your step by step wont show on my computer.  

BTW, I appreciate all the feedback and advice you give here.  I understand swapping parts can present its challenges and the best feeling is overcoming them.  So I'm going to keep at it until this muffler is on.

Thanks  Cool

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 01/26/12 at 15:40:00

First time I did mine I couldn't get the tin can to work all that great either, but after a couple frosty cold adult beverages I used those cans and was able to get it to work  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #11 - 01/26/12 at 15:43:00

EJID wrote on 01/26/12 at 15:40:00:
First time I did mine I couldn't get the tin can to work all that great either, but after a couple frosty cold adult beverages I used those cans and was able to get it to work  Cool

A couple? I always go 3 deep at least..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/26/12 at 17:36:02

[quote author=5D5157535C4640535C415B41465D40320 link=1327612640/0#9 date=1327620104]Serowbot wrote on 01/26/12 at 15:14:23:
Could you post the pic of your finished product? I'd like to see what it looks like just to get an idea.  The one on your step by step wont show on my computer.

Sorry,.. wish I could... but my muffler shield is made from a car exhaust tip and goes 360 degree around the pipe... I can't get it off without pulling the whole thing...

Quote:
Never mind,.. I lied... I just loosened the cover and slid it forward  Grin..
... as you can hopefully see... the muffler butts right up to the heavy ring on the pipe...

Quote:
Here's the joint, with the cover back in place...

I'll add these pics to the Tech section install post... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 01/26/12 at 18:54:17

Come on guys... after using muffler sealant paste crap and ruining my Dyna (not that I'd use that piece of nuts anyway) you can't use a steel can as a sealant? I'd even use Serowbots steel can sealant idea on my Raask... I'm not trying to be harsh but I'm a newb and I've figured this nuts out.. just trying to get ya some brain juices flowing so ya get the problem solved...

Edit: Still mad at myself for using that crap  Angry

« Last Edit: 01/27/12 at 07:34:09 by Built2Last »  
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #14 - 02/03/12 at 17:28:54

Serowbot wrote on 01/26/12 at 15:14:23:

I must apologize, I took the muffler off and realized all I really needed was a better C-clamp and more cans to make a better seal.  Apparantly I should've pushed the muffler in further to only bolt it on with one bolt on the far back of the muffler and the far front of the bracket.

As soon as I get back from this little film festival tonight I'm getting back on this bike and finishing the muffler fit.

SEROWBOT RULES!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler connection leak.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.