Harley question (Read 296 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Harley question
01/23/12 at 22:05:03

I hope its ok to ask this here , there seems to be enough experenced machinics that someone might know.

OK , the Harley had to be trailered home today.    (go ahead and laugh OldFeller) .    Well the starter will spin the transmission but not the motor.    In gear the starter will move the bike but not fast enough to push-start-it (could be voltage can't support starter and coil at same time).     push-starting it is like the clutch is slipping.

Any ideas on what to look for ?

Embarrassed

Yea I got to fix it befor I can sell it .  Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Harley question
Reply #1 - 01/23/12 at 22:29:22

Honda cb's have that problem too, starter drives the clutch.
usually a busted gear inside.

but being that your clutch is slipping, i'd look there.

did the harley come with the trailer?  

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/24/12 at 05:23:24

Definetly sounds like a clutch problem.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/24/12 at 06:29:04

We were in Jefferson, Texas, at a fun little place called Auntie Skinners. Always a few bikes out front, sometimes, quite a few. They were raffling off a High Dollar , REally nice looking, slightly customized, Harley.

It came with trailer,,,

It wasnt easy keeping the beer in my mouth out of my sinuses,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/24/12 at 11:42:25

Hey, although I hunt Hurleys fer fun, MM is a good riding buddy.   I didn't laugh at him in the mountains, nor will I laugh at him now.

MM, get on a hurley forum and ask them, I am sure all these unexpected hurley joys are common knowledge to the skilled long term Hurley riders there ....

I have no direct knowledge to share on this one beyond what I have seen second hand from you and your 1200cc Sportster.   It seems like your starter spins the tranny and there isn't a connection any more.  Clutch throw out actuating system ???

I dunno -- I am guessing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/26/12 at 03:59:05

Shouldn't starter engage the flywheel? What's clutch have to do with it? I might be missing the point...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 01/26/12 at 15:30:54

If I read this right, the engine does not turn over at all.  If so, the primary chain setup is broken.

On Harley's, the engine crankshaft output shaft has a sprocket that drives a chain that goes to the clutch/tranny.  The starter engages a gear on the clutch basket.  So, if the starter will move the bike, but the engine does nothing, it's in the primary chain setup somewhere.

On LS650's the clutch basket is right over the oil sight glass. The round'ish area below where the speedo cable goes in.   On the Harley's it's that big bump on the opposite side as the LS650's clutch.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/27/12 at 03:38:20

wow,  I never opened a Harley, strange how they engineered that part.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/27/12 at 18:25:48

MM, if it is the primary drive chain or nut that is gone  -- do I get to count me yet another tick mark fer hurleys killed by the infamous Grandmaw sickle?

We know I had wounded the chain on that last trip to the point you ran out of adjustment and your primary gear nut had come loose on top of that
(discovered later on) ....

Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes

Wink    advice remains the same, yer hurley has received the 5 point palm technique blow of delayed death, so for heaven's sake sell it quick before it finishes dying on you !!!  

A hurley that runs is worth 2-3 times what the bike that killed it is worth, so cash in while you can !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 01/28/12 at 12:01:52

Oh-Yea OldFeller

You killed my Harley last summer and didn't even know it at the time !!!!  Embarrassed

Come to find out ,,,,

The starter turns the clutch on the motor side,  clutch spinns the primary chain ,   primary spins the motor-drive-sprocket which is conected to the crankshaft by way of 6 splines.    Huh

WELL ....   Angry

The splines are all-but  " non-exesistant"  at the moment.

best I can figure .... last summer when the drive sprocket came loose it wabbled "ALL THE WAY HOME" .     When I checked into it at the time I put lock-tite  on the threads and torked it up so it couldn't get loose again.    Wink

Now the crank spinns inside the sprocket its sposed to spin. that the bad news ....    Lips Sealed

The hope is :
When Harley cut the splines in the first place they cut deeper that they had too ...
I'm cutting and fitting (JBWeld) 6 little pieces of metal   (.080" thick x .210" wide)   into those left-over slots after cutting the slots a little deeper.

And then  SELLING THE DARN THING

If I ever have to look at the inside of a Harley piece of crap again it will be way to soon !!!!!!!!!!    Angry

Maby the harley dealer will have something I'll want to trade for ... I kinda hate to  "STICK" anybody else with it.     Undecided

Now OldFeller  .......   "Doin't brag to much you know Harleys are an "EASY KILL"" .   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/29/12 at 01:29:09

man that's bad news. JbWelding new splines might work. But prepare yourself for rage of the new owner.
Can you get a cheap burned harley engine somewhere and swap the crankshaft?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 01/29/12 at 17:57:14

What type Harley is it?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 01/29/12 at 19:39:44

TMack

2004  1200 sportster

I'm having second thoughts ,,,,,   mabby build some weld up on the old shaft .....

Just mad and confused at the moment.    I've never known of "THE SPLINES WEAR OUT !!!!! "

what a stupid set up in the first place.    My first harley  (notice no more capital on harley)   ,  at the moment I doin't have any respect for them.
Sad

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/30/12 at 03:52:59

Harley Davidson (1905-1948 RIP) was a good machine. Your late model Honda-Yamaha- Kawasaki- Chinese sourced parts mutt bikes made since the AMF era... not so much.

Had a 93 Wide Glide that ate 4 engines and 6 transmissions, in 6 months.

Sounds like your crank was improperly heat treated. The only safe fix is a new crankshaft. The pulley splines should have failed before the shaft splines.

I've had a LOT of HDs over the years. Kick only OHV generator case big twins are decent, 1948 and older flatheads are good. 1970 and newer big twins are a waste of money. Sportsters should have been killed off at the end of the Ironhead era.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 01/30/12 at 18:37:39

Well   I   cranked the Harley up today.    

I went ahead and built up the old splines with weld then cut them back down with a dremel tool and cut off blade (s) ...   its fixed as good as it was to begin with .

But I'm still getting rid of it.   Allready took my shield and floorboards off it  ,    saddlebags too .    I supect OldFeller is right on this one -- get rid of it befor something else brakes .

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:40:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.