Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyna muffler Install... (Read 187 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dyna muffler Install...
01/17/12 at 20:47:34

I am going to install my Dyna muffler this weekend and was wondering if Serowbot's tin can crush gasket really works. Does it leak at all? Did it need some High-Temp silicone gasket maker?

I have a heavy duty Harley clamp 1 7/8, a shiny Dyna Muffler, a crush gasket made of a tin can and assorted nuts, bolts and washers. I'm on the fence about getting an adapter pipe made up with an extra snug fit on both ends and a 10 degree bend.

I've read the links dealing with the exhange and am unsure how to proceed. Can the muffler shops stretch the adapter pipe close enough to get a real snug fit on both ends. I figure that coupled with a few saw slices and 10 degree bend, all will neck down securely.

Any experiences welcome...

JohnnyCat

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Dyna muffler Install...
Reply #1 - 01/17/12 at 21:01:22

When I installed my Dyna I got the muffler shop to make just a straight adapter and it fits so well it's still stuck in the Dyna... I'd use Serowbots tin can gasket over any "muffler sealer" or silicone gasket crap... I would get the 10 degree bend if you go to the muffler shop and take the steel can with you and tell them your plans so they can leave room for it to fit/seal properly.

The 10 degree bend will keep the muffler from blowing black crap all over your rear brake cables and such...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/17/12 at 22:14:35

I've done several with just a tin can gasket,... no sealant, and had no problems...
Most of the leaking I've noticed has been at the head to exhaust pipe joint...
... if it takes too much wiggling to get the old muff off,.. that gasket will leak.

On mine,... I reused the old gasket, and added a new one to it... the bolts seemed to be bottoming out on just one before making a tight seal....
It's beeen good for 10k...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #3 - 01/18/12 at 00:41:42

I installed my Dyna this passed spring. I used the tin can crush method. This is my first bike and was my first mod beyond drilling out the stock muffler.

From my experience... the crush can method can certainly make a clean seal if you're careful and know what you're doing. My brother and I installed the muffler in the course of an afternoon. I've experienced a slight exhaust leak, not enough to cause any sort of problem but enough to be an annoyance for those that want it to be perfect. I'm sure it will slightly degrade over time due to the tin getting 'hot' and slightly burning away. For a clean cut job I'd recommend using some sort of sealant. I plan to re mount mine at some point.

But if you're careful with a pair of cutters and precise when mounting, and have attempted something like this before, I'm sure you can get it on there without a leak. To be completely sure on the 1st time around though I'd get an adapter from the muffler shop if you want to insure you don't want to deal with it a second time.

AKA the trade off between the cheap handy man's solution, and the pricier get it right the first time with dealer help solution.

*This is the opinion of a greenhorn.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/18/12 at 06:31:51

After all I've read here about it, if I was to do it, I would machine out a bushing for a press fit into the muffler, and a perfect slip fit onto the header pipe. Then I would cut/notch the muffler just passed the header pipe, and bend the muffler out the 7-10 deg for perfect alignment.
Then my trusty little mig welder would weld the cut closed.

Any other way, you will most likely be fighting leaks,.......believe it !

If someone could give me the exact specs on the id and od of the bushing, I could think about making the bushings for sale.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/18/12 at 07:15:48

i kept breakin hardley clamps so went to an automotive U clamp
do have the can and sealant with 10 deg adaptor pipe hidden by a chrome heat shield          
been holding my 3 1/2" hard krome slash cut for 4 or 5 yrs now

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
abotech
YaBB Newbies

A.T.G.A.T.T.- All
The Gear All The
Time

Reply #6 - 01/18/12 at 21:08:45

I have installed dyna mufflers on 3 bikes. I use .010 brass shim stock. Cut it to the width of the muffler flange and work it round until it will fit into the muffler flange and but up end to end. It will be a snug fit. I also remove the brake arm and bend it in so the brake cable clears the muffler. The brake arm does get dirty, oh well.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/19/12 at 20:11:47

Routy, I'll take the measurements in a few days when the temp. increases a bit. I've got an electric heater in the Garage, but it has its limits, same as me. Can you give a ballpark figure on what you believe you would charge on such an item?

I'm still hoping for a set of your Forward controls when you get ready to sell.

JohnnyCat

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/20/12 at 04:40:50

SuperSavage wrote on 01/19/12 at 20:11:47:
Routy, I'll take the measurements in a few days when the temp. increases a bit. I've got an electric heater in the Garage, but it has its limits, same as me. Can you give a ballpark figure on what you believe you would charge on such an item?

I'm still hoping for a set of your Forward controls when you get ready to sell.

JohnnyCat

I know,.....its like I don't have enuff to do, so I think I need another project. And if I don't force myself out of Az here and back to Oregon soon, I ain't gonna get nothin done !
But if I can find pipe or tubing that runs somewhere near the final OD & ID measurememnts, I'd think around 4.95 mite sound fair.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/20/12 at 08:26:13

check your local muff shop
one here made an adaptor for free another $5

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/01/12 at 20:44:36

Routy, the Dyna Muffler ID is 1.75" and the header pipe OD is 1.68".

I went to the local muffler shop and had them fab up an adapter. Let's see how it mounts up...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 02/02/12 at 05:11:07

SuperSavage wrote on 02/01/12 at 20:44:36:
Routy, the Dyna Muffler ID is 1.75" and the header pipe OD is 1.68".

I went to the local muffler shop and had them fab up an adapter. Let's see how it mounts up...

I recorded this, and I'll see what I can come up w/.

Rich
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 02/02/12 at 06:47:38

I'm recommending not using any kind of paste/sealant muffler crap on your exhaust, even if you let it cure for a long time.. I used muffler sealant and my Dyna is now full of the hardened crumbs of crap so I won't even give it away to someone now...

You could always weld it, if you have a problem down the road grind off, swap out the header pipe or Dyna muffler, and weld on the new piece.. aha

IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/02/12 at 16:54:38

+1

WELD IT Smiley

Ride it to the muffler shop with the can in hand, and tell em to weld er on !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:28:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna muffler Install...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.