ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Chopper kit.
Reply #45 - 03/23/12 at 14:19:51

arteacher wrote on 03/23/12 at 13:10:37:
Fedx delivered 2 of the three boxes today. The quality of the kit is stellar.
They use Yammy virago fork tubes , which happen to be 4" longer than our stock tubes, with thicker walls.
So I get better quality tubes, new springs and dampers as well. I didn't expect these upgrades. Smiley

Same diameter fork tube?

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #46 - 03/23/12 at 16:46:15

I haven't checked yet but I would imagine they are, unless I get the whole fork assembly in the third box on Monday, Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #47 - 03/28/12 at 05:02:26

Sorry, loved the kit would do it again. might buy a savage for the wife soon.  

« Last Edit: 03/28/12 at 07:14:26 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #48 - 03/28/12 at 05:32:32

I've seen this kit around for a long time.I love the kit,I usually just don't have that much money to spend at one time,lol.People don't understand how it works...so it's bad.
As for it not being a "real" chopper.(You could start a whole thread on what a "real" chopper is).I kind of like this.That way if you ever want to put the bike back to stock for whatever reason you can.When I build a bike to sell,I usually just put struts in place of the shocks,that way if the person buying it wants shocks...Bam,10 minutes you have suspension again.
Roll Eyes

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 03/28/12 at 21:21:33

JRM, that bike is sweeeet! It looks like the savage was made for a "Captain America" look. Very nice bike.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #50 - 03/29/12 at 11:22:25

With fork kits like these you could really move the controls way forward.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #51 - 04/07/12 at 05:07:08

Bit of an update and a question:
There have been two glitches with the install. The kit instructions tell you to use the original oil plugs in the sliders, but they wouldn't fit. Had to order the right ones from Yamaha, as they are stock fork tubes (made by Frank's Forks) from a '95 Verago 1100. Due to Easter, I won't get them till Thursday.
The top tree hits the tank. Chopper Kit USA is making some larger diameter stops to rectify the problem.
The question is: The instructions tell you to use the stock amount of fork oil, but he Yamaha forks have a narrower inside diameter, and Yamaha spec is 372cc vs Suzuki spec at 447cc. I am inclined to follow the Yamaha spec, but would like other opinions.
Oh well, it will give me time to polish the sliders and signal mounts.
BTW the customer service I am receiving from Greg at Chopper Kits is phenomenal. He gives you his personal cell #, answers e-mails within hours. He is refunding the cost of the oil plugs + some for my trouble.
Can't beat that! Smiley

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #52 - 04/15/12 at 15:07:56

Yet another update- still waiting for parts. The Yamy oil plugs for the fork tubes are back ordered and on there way (I hope) from Japan. The new fork stops are on there way from Chopper Kits.
I also have two other issues to deal with: I have to get the front fender painted (or paint it myself) as the Superbrace did some paint damage because I installed it touching the fender. Also the Suzuki windshield will no longer fit as it is now tilted back an additional 9 deg and makes contact with the master cylinder. I have pretty much decided on the Slip Streamer Billet 18", http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Cruisers/cruisers.html pending answers to some questions put to the manufacturer. I had thought about not having a windshield, but I really hate combing bugs out of the beard. Grin
Oh well, it gave me the time to clean up the corrosion on the sliders and signal light mounts, and install Versy's pins in the seat, and some other piddly stuff that needed doing. And it's been raining or cold here quite a bit anyway.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #53 - 04/18/12 at 17:38:13

Well, it's all together now. Just waiting for the new fork stops to arrive, and bleed the brake. Then I will take it for a test drive, clean it up, and post some pics.
I must admit, I was very apprehensive about dropping that kind of coin on something without even seeing a picture of it (all the pics on their website are of 14 deg kits, not the 9 deg I bought.) The 9 deg looks much better than the 14 IMHO. The bike is too small to have the front wheel extended more than 6" or so. You can do the math and play in photo shop all you want but until it is sitting there in front of you you only have a general idea of what it's going to look like.
There are some hidden expenses as well: The stock windshield no longer fits, and I have to get a larger cover.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #54 - 04/25/12 at 03:56:57

Posted pics in Cafe.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #55 - 09/20/12 at 09:52:36

Ooooo this was the thread I should have been looking for.

http://picasaweb.google.com/srinath.the.man/SavageChopperBuild#53768675803138...

That is my chopper built ~3 years ago.

Ooooo this was the thread I should have been looking for.

This was my observation after doing the chopper mod the way I did.

The front wheel is 21" aluminum. So @ the same road speed, that wheel spins about 25% less. It also is about 1/2 the weight of the steel wheel. Therefore with the rotational kinetic energy only takes into account the effort required to turn its direction is of the order of 50% less.
Now the offset in the savage triples are 2.5". The custom triples I made didn't touch that, else I'd clobber the tank ... so 2.5 it was. However the wheel has an offset axle. I flipped the legs left to right and ended up with 1.5" taken out of the offset effectively. The bike was a lot lighter to steer as a result. Its a demostrable effect I will gladly show anyone who wants to stop by my house in charlotte NC. I have a maxim FE in a savage I should finish out in the next few weeks.

Here is the other cool factors with this mod.

The stock FE out of most 80's dirt bikes - DR250, 350, 650, KX125, 250, 500, rm 125-500, and more, I just tried these, typically yamaha used 28X28 mm stems and honda used 26X30 and suzuki and kawi used 25X30. So kawi and suzuki FE's are drop in to the savage which uses 25X30. 26X30 is useable too, just get the complete upper bearing with it - you have to pull the outer race from the frame - usually damaging it. So get a new one ... I did for that bike.

So a whole FE 9"-11" longer just drops in ... triples and all. So what's the problem ... yea the tank. These FE's all have 1"-1.5" offset, we need 2.5 minimum.
So you make upper triples ... Or cut and weld the frame.

Do triples if you have a good machinist - Make them to be spaced as in the triple you are using the offset needed to clear the tank on the savage and the extra rake you need to get it looking right. I'd do no less than 7 degrees, no more than 12. But to each his own. That bike was a 9.
What you have to do is to cut a wedge with the rake you want out of metal or even wood. That will be used to block up the triples in the mill. I used 1" plate for the top and 1.25 for the bottom 6061 aluminum. The distance from upper to lower triple i na savage is ~6.3" if I recall. Measure it. You need it for your calculations.
Now in the Upper triple is 2.5 from the center of the stem to the forks, lower triple is 2.5"+ [6.3" X cosine (rake ange)].
Center punch those spots in the aluminum plate and take to the machinist. Done in under 1 hr.

Now the weldup method - I have only theorised this not done 1 myself.
Find a welder who has experience chopping a bike.
Get thin walled steel channel section of 6" or 3 2"X2" box section square tubing. Weld it to make a 2"X6" section and cut 1 end straight and the other mitered to your rake. Put it in and weld it up. Why the 2" stretch on top - the dirt bike FE you would use has a 1" offset or so ... without 2" on top, you'd clobber the tank ...
After that its simply bolting everything together.

In a way that dirt bike FE turned backwards makes all the difference for handling so I will just say leaveyourself that option if you do this.

The frame or triple clamp job should cost you under 400 labor and materials. The forks off a dirt bike - whatever your local junkyard charges for them. I paid around 20 for the few FE's I got ... 3-4 ... but they were all missing parts. I dont see a complete one going for over 100. $500 and other misc like bearings tires, tubes etc cos no dirt bike gonna have street tires on it ... so 600-700 depending ... for one delicious little very very easy and streetableas well as reliable and freaking one of a kind chopper ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #56 - 09/20/12 at 14:31:37

Sorry, that link does not work for me.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #57 - 09/21/12 at 04:37:38

arteacher wrote on 09/20/12 at 14:31:37:
Sorry, that link does not work for me.

+1    Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #58 - 09/21/12 at 08:07:40

I am @ work, and nothing works from here ... so I have to get back tonight ... sorry.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #59 - 09/23/12 at 05:59:47

https://picasaweb.google.com/srinath.the.man/SavageChopperBuild?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ
-TlundyLiSngE

Hope this works. Cut and paste the entire link.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:13:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chopper kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.