arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Chopper kit.
Reply #30 - 02/19/12 at 12:23:43

I drew it out and the trail is almost exactly the same. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #31 - 02/19/12 at 15:33:09

You are not paying attention. The trees are NOT raked. They use an adapter to change the steering axis. It is like changing the rake by cutting and welding the neck, but without cutting and welding. The adapter extends the bottom of the neck the required amount, changing the steering axis angle. you get the same trail whether you use their 9 deg kit or their 18 deg kit.
I already told you why I want it- in a nutshell I want a longer bike for the ride without the weight.
I don't need anyone's justification to buy it- if you had read the whole topic you would know I already did.
And as far as looks go, I dislike the looks of all the 14 degree LS650's they have pics of on the site. Unfortunately they don't have a pic of one with a 9 degree kit-but they will soon. Wink
What I am going to wind up with is a bike that is 6" longer, slightly heavier (the trees are steel, not aluminum) with a better ride, according to a guy who put an 14 degree kit on an intruder, with "different, but not worse" low speed steering, and much more stable at high speeds.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #32 - 02/19/12 at 16:31:11

Best luck with that.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #33 - 02/19/12 at 16:55:29

Thanks. And why did you delete your previous post?

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 02/20/12 at 06:57:56

Git' ta wrenchin'.... I wanna see this!   Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #35 - 02/20/12 at 08:22:26

I should get the kit early in March, and will have to wait for decent weather (no garage) to install it, but I will post pics as soon as it's done.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #36 - 02/21/12 at 13:15:56

If this is the same kit I put on, you are going to love it.  I got mine back in 2003 from Seeger Cycles (I think JRM8486 From Florida also got his from Seeger Cycles (Seeger doesn't sell them for the Savage/S40 anymore).  The kits were from a company in Germany - and for all the folks that will tell you it's messed up,
1. German engineering
2.  the German government's TUV has a great record when approving products for the road - they don't let junk onto the market (versus our government that looks at stuff after people have died) - the kit was approved by TUV, which means it had to go through a 50,000 mile road test before it could be certified for the Autobahn.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/thehoghunter/
I guess the 'discussion' I had on here was deleted/lost since it was back in 2003.  

The wider turn radius isn't that bad...I could still make a U-turn (once I got use to it) with no extra room needed...and it handles just fine in town, it actually feels like I thought a motorcycle should feel versus stock.  Riding my wife's Savage (stock) feels weird after being on mine.

WWW   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 02/21/12 at 15:05:17

HogHunter, that kit looks great on the savage - It looks much better than stock. artteacher is gonna love it. I bet you get a lot of attention riding that hog.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 02/21/12 at 15:08:46

That dual headlight and seat looks great as well. Bravo, nice job

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #39 - 02/21/12 at 17:07:37

It looks like a 14 Deg kit?
Thanks for the support- i kinda felt that I was all alone out on a limb, dropping that kind of scratch with all the nay-sayers telling me I was crazy. Smiley
Like those colours too.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #40 - 02/22/12 at 09:31:36

Info sent to me back when Seeger was selling it for the Savage:

Quote:
To give you a little more info on the kits, they were designed, developed and patented by FS Chopper in Germany over 20 years ago. To be able to sell the product it had to have approval by the TUV. In fact each time they make a kit for a new motorcycle it has to go back through the testing process, so that means each kit has been tested on the particular bike. One part of the test is actual road test, the motorcycle must ride and perform like the stock motorcycle (there is some consideration for a bit more steering effort at low speed). The bike is riding up to the bikes top speed and must be as stable as the stock bike. The testing also involves taking a stock motorcycle equipped with the kit and putting it into a test stand (a type of road simulator). This test stand will shake, bounce and vibrate the motorcycle to simulate 50,000 km (about 31,000 miles) of actual riding. Then all parts are disassembled and inspected. If the parts show any stress cracks or any type of failure the kit can not pass the test. Going one step further the also inspect the original motorcycle frame to verify no stress shows on the neck.

Another company in Germany has manufacturing rights from FS Chopper they are called AME you can see there website at  http://www.ame-chopper.de/
They offer a chopper kit based on the same design.

WWW   IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 02/22/12 at 12:54:50

i would imagine it is a cheaper job just to take it to a good shop and get them to add some rake to the neck.. seems like a lot of money for a bolt-on kit. but, i guess if it is worth the cash for your bike, do it up!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #42 - 02/22/12 at 14:49:49

i just went with ED L forward controlls and drivers back rest and sheep skin seat cover and back rest cover..
like in a easy chair..

a true chopper is when you chop a section outa the frame

this ol mans back luvs my mods.. nice and comfy,
when the wifey is on the rear i remove the drivers br she is endowed enuf that its acutally more comfey if you get my drift..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #43 - 03/23/12 at 13:10:37

Fedx delivered 2 of the three boxes today. The quality of the kit is stellar.
They use Yammy virago fork tubes , which happen to be 4" longer than our stock tubes, with thicker walls.
So I get better quality tubes, new springs and dampers as well. I didn't expect these upgrades. Smiley

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #44 - 03/23/12 at 13:13:50

Art, Looking forward to seeing some pic's when you have them!

Thumper, do you have any pic's of your driver's sissybar? I've been thinking of doing that to mine but wasn't sure if it would look right.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:28:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chopper kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.