IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Chopper kit.
Reply #16 - 01/21/12 at 03:39:34

I sent him a PM but no reply yet. I talked to a Harley guy who has ridden several different bikes, some with fork extensions-rake mods, and he suggested that such a gentle extension will not cause very much change in handling, a minimal loss of turning radius, and an improved ride, because of the longer wheelbase.
So I think I'm going to go for it. Cool

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #17 - 01/21/12 at 05:30:05

I didn't think it would change too much being a short rake, good luck with it.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 02/02/12 at 13:36:14

Canadian currency went above US (slightly) which pushed me over the edge. Dropped the dime today.
BTW, by the time I pay 13% sales tax and duty the total cost with shipping will be around $2700. I thought long and hard about this, as I will be getting a substantial tax refund, and could afford to pay cash for a new Triumph America.
I decided that I like Lil Suzy ( from "Wake up lil suzie" by the Everly Brothers) too much, so I will buy her the stuff to look real sexy.

« Last Edit: 02/02/12 at 15:25:56 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #19 - 02/02/12 at 17:44:57

Arnold wrote on 01/17/12 at 12:04:49:
Been riding without front fenders for over a year now, no problem.

No fender No problems

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 02/18/12 at 13:28:18

An issue has arisen. The width of the kit is greater than stock, so the SuperBrace will have to go. Oh, well. Sad

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 02/18/12 at 22:33:27

arteacher wrote on 02/18/12 at 13:28:18:
An issue has arisen. The width of the kit is greater than stock, so the SuperBrace will have to go. Oh, well. Sad

You might try sending the measurements to TKat if you want another brace.  I've been away for a while but I assume he's still making them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #22 - 02/19/12 at 05:15:48

Thanks- I had thought of that. When I get it on and ride it for a bit, I'll make that decision.

IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #23 - 02/19/12 at 09:22:30

Ive had plenty of choppers...
The real question you gotta ask is why you want one.
Theyre ALL only good for two things:
Short straight line runs
N Photo shoots
Due to a lack of experience and a desire to put fashion ahead of function I tried to use them for weekend ridealongs and daily drivers.
Forget it!
Be comfortable n functional n ride alot.
or be fashional n flashy n look at pictures of your garage art.
Just my two cents.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 02/19/12 at 09:33:33

"The real question you gotta ask is why you want one.
Theyre ALL only good for two things:
Short straight line runs
N Photo shoots"
My reason for doing this is to get 6" more wheelbase. My reason for wanting that is better stability on the highway, and a better ride.
It will not change the appearance that much.

IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #25 - 02/19/12 at 09:52:57

Oh it greatly improves high way cruising especially on this frame because it elivates the factory front seat into a better position... so does lowering the rear. But at highway speed the true trail...which is what extended forks actually change... is too little to notice. You get a degree or two of rake thereby extending the stance. But pulling onto or off on the exit ramp feels like crap. You cant corner or negotiate turns once u get off the highway. And parking in a tight spot requires effort.
look...you asked for input. Im sorry if you dont like mine. Im trying to save you problems. Call me after riding a chopper for a few years n we'll see if your taking the same stance. Im not naysaying anything...im being brutally honest. If you want one of those two things go for it. But don't kid yourself. Do a seat mod and be comfortable in any practicle situation

" i built it for dramatic effect... and we actually did the ride...but man did it handle like nuts" quote in reference to the movie that started the fad: Henry Fonda... easyrider

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 02/19/12 at 10:31:14

palehorseman wrote on 02/19/12 at 09:52:57:
Oh it greatly improves high way cruising especially on this frame because it elivates the factory front seat into a better position... so does lowering the rear. But at highway speed the true trail...which is what extended forks actually change... is too little to notice. You get a degree or two of rake thereby extending the stance. But pulling onto or off on the exit ramp feels like crap. You cant corner or negotiate turns once u get off the highway. And parking in a tight spot requires effort.
look...you asked for input. Im sorry if you dont like mine. Im trying to save you problems. Call me after riding a chopper for a few years n we'll see if your taking the same stance. Im not naysaying anything...im being brutally honest. If you want one of those two things go for it. But don't kid yourself. Do a seat mod and be comfortable in any practicle situation

" i built it for dramatic effect... and we actually did the ride...but man did it handle like nuts" quote in reference to the movie that started the fad: Henry Fonda... easyrider

It's not that I don't like your input, it's just that you haven't researched this kit like I have. I am not just throwing on longer forks here. It's TUV certified, and they are very particular about what they certify.
This kit does not change the trail at all. I am getting the 9 deg kit with 4" longer forks, which will keep the bike level, extending the wheel about 6". The only downside will be a slightly increased turning radius, and the fact that I will have to buy a larger cover. Grin
And of course a stock frame with 12" overstock forks will "handle like nuts".

IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #27 - 02/19/12 at 10:49:49

Unless triganomitry has changed it must. Descrbe trail as you understand it so i can be better informed. First off triple tree rake is the worst way to go to achieve additional rake. Modifying the neck is the only good way to build a raked ou bike. But there are few practicle reasons. Rake is necessary for drag bikes. Drag bars are necessary for drag bikes. But no one uses positive raked trees for drag bikes. What does that say? The only reason trees with rake are practicle is to right trail...but those are in essence opposite...they are longer from pivot on the top instead of the bottom.
You can Lower the rear to get more rake. You can raise the seat at the mounts to get a better seat position. But im telling you... you cant extend forks and add positive rake in trees and not effect trail. Thats just not possible. Its like raising a vehicle and saying it doesnt lower the center of gravity... it cant be done. Google real reviews on the subject outside of this forum. I hope i was helpful and didnt come off wrong. If i can help let me know. Ive made my own costly mistakes n am trying to save you the same. Who do u think is telling the truth... the guy with nothing to gain or the one trying to sell you overpriced parts? Best of luck. Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 02/19/12 at 11:23:33

OK. I am not a math guy so my description might not be the easiest to follow, but here goes:
If you draw an imaginary line along the steering axis to the ground, and another line vertically down from the center of the wheel, the difference is the trail.
The kit adds the nine degrees to the steering axis, not the trees, so the trail stays the same, as long as you extend the forks the proper amount.

IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #29 - 02/19/12 at 12:02:51

You get it. Thats basically trail. Now rough draw what your saying n see if what they say makes any sence. Hope you get what your after.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:18:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chopper kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.