Chopper kit. (Read 1550 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Chopper kit.
01/14/12 at 13:56:30

I am considering a chopper kit-http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/suzuki-LS650-Savage.htm, the 9 deg 4'' fork extension. This will have the effect of moving the front wheel ahead 5 3/4 " while keeping the bike level. This kit does not change the trail, only the rake.
What changes can I expect in the handling?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Chopper kit.
Reply #1 - 01/14/12 at 17:27:37

Um, just remember that rake extension choppers are made for going in a straight line, really well... that's what they're made for... highways and such.. here's a link Verslagen1 posted awhile ago about fork rakes and suspension that you may have read that should help answer:

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 01/14/12 at 18:25:07

Oh yeah, if you get that kit you have to get this shirt to wear when ya ride 'er down the block:

Smiley

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/14/12 at 19:35:09

I'm not a chopper guy, but that is a very nice conversion.  I like that more than the RYCA and Bobber look. Not many S40 Choppers running around. It looks very lean and clean. Don't expect crisp handling and turning, but you'll be turning heads a plenty.

JohnnyCat

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 01/17/12 at 07:11:52

wow, you could buy another bike for the price of that kit!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 01/17/12 at 08:11:21

Bubba wrote on 01/17/12 at 07:11:52:

Yea, I know. The question is- do I WANT another bike? Undecided

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 01/17/12 at 08:40:25

It's kinda cool.. if you have $2k layin around I'd say go for it if you like it...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 01/17/12 at 09:28:30

arteacher wrote on 01/17/12 at 08:11:21:
Bubba wrote on 01/17/12 at 07:11:52:

Yea, I know. The question is- do I WANT another bike? Undecided

yes. always yes.

got to have one to ride and one to wrench. i had the savage down for a month in prime ride time and it was horrible. never again. have to have redundant motorcycles.

i've picked up the bad habit of looking at what bikes are on craigslist for under 1k. every once in a while i'll see something for $300 or so as a fixer upper and i think how lovely it would be for another bike. so much fun...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/17/12 at 09:41:53

I saw a guy with a neat lookin chopper at Sams. He was riding with a guy who had a bagger HD. They went to leave. The guy on the bagger stuck it in gear & rolled it out of the last parking space in a Uturn to head on out. The guy on the chopper did the same. Had enough room for me to turn the Vibe around in nearly, & he had to stop & back up & try again. Downright dangerous for a town bike. In traffic, being able to stop & turn is part of staying alive, getting killed on a cool looking bike is still being dead. Ill stick with maneuverability.,
Its a cool looking thing, tho, Ill give ya that. I think Bobbers look cool, but no fender? Not safe..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 01/17/12 at 09:56:52

Not having a fender is perfectly safe if you're wearing a welders mask without the tinted glass...

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 01/17/12 at 12:04:49

Been riding without front fenders for over a year now, no problem.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 01/17/12 at 12:27:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/17/12 at 09:41:53:
I saw a guy with a neat lookin chopper at Sams. He was riding with a guy who had a bagger HD. They went to leave. The guy on the bagger stuck it in gear & rolled it out of the last parking space in a Uturn to head on out. The guy on the chopper did the same. Had enough room for me to turn the Vibe around in nearly, & he had to stop & back up & try again. Downright dangerous for a town bike. In traffic, being able to stop & turn is part of staying alive, getting killed on a cool looking bike is still being dead. Ill stick with maneuverability.,
Its a cool looking thing, tho, Ill give ya that. I think Bobbers look cool, but no fender? Not safe..

JoG, here is another link which explains the geometry of their kit. They claim that because the kit does not change the trail at all, handling isn't affected. My gut felling is that some aspect of handlig would change, but I don't understand how.
http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/index.htm

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 01/17/12 at 12:35:20

Just say goodbye to turning radius.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 01/17/12 at 18:48:13

That's such a short rake that I doubt it's gonna change sharp turning too much, but that's a pretty penny for just a tree mod so I hope you LOVE it.. maybe they have those springer air ride front ends out for the savage yet?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 01/18/12 at 14:59:24

Now that I think of it I remember someone here had a kit. It was on a white S40 I think. Anyone remember who it is?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:26:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chopper kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.